Falling crowds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JGT57

Falling crowds

Post by JGT57 »

Here is a novel innovation by Newcastle United, who are concerned that only
42,000 turned up at their last home game at a time when their fortunes are on the up!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50722548
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Falling crowds

Post by Mark62 »

Decent idea. I would imagine it’s on the basis that a crowd of 40,000 is their break even point for a match day, and that extra crowds will also bring extra revenue in terms of catering/merchandise sales
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Decent idea, I'd definitely come to WR more on some sort of BOGOF scheme as I do struggle these days to convince my nearest and dearest it's worth the expense.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Concern about falling crowds at Welford Road is just part of the general air of despondency surrounding the Club at present. The official attendance at WR last Saturday was given as 15,079. This was for a "second tier" Challenge Cup match against mediocre, unfancied opposition and yet 15,079 exceeds the attendance for any other English club playing at home in the first three rounds of the "top tier" Champions Cup. So a higher attendance than anything achieved by Bath, Northampton, Gloucester, Saracens, Sale & Exeter. Sometimes it helps to have a bit of perspective.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

If there were 15k+ there Saturday, I will eat my hat. If you add season tickets plus others bought for the game then that may have been 15k, but my seat is surrounded by other season ticket holders, and many were not there. I sit opposite the Crumbie, and there was about a third of the numbers in there then we had ten years ago. I would guess more like 13k actually watching the game.

Not really surprising given the dross we have been subjected to recently and playing a complete non-entity side in a worthless competition.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Yorkietiger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm If there were 15k+ there Saturday, I will eat my hat. If you add season tickets plus others bought for the game then that may have been 15k, but my seat is surrounded by other season ticket holders, and many were not there. I sit opposite the Crumbie, and there was about a third of the numbers in there then we had ten years ago. I would guess more like 13k actually watching the game.

Not really surprising given the dross we have been subjected to recently and playing a complete non-entity side in a worthless competition.
People buy tickets, it’s up to them whether or not they attend. Attendance is a slight misnomer, should be tickets purchased.

Still a relevant point though, the much vaunted Kingsholm was by no means full for their match against Connaught, and I would imagine their Europe tickets are included in season tickets too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s just the unfortunate truth in sport that people will sometimes only turn up if a team is winning, I don’t agree with it but I don’t call them out for it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Combination of factors. Weak opposition; poor performance the previous week (+ others); Christmas shopping; etc. My estimated of actual persons attending was around 10k.

We should get more in two weeks time but I doubt it will be more than 20k even based of the official count.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

If Tigers did that, people would moan that they’d spent their money on a season ticket yet others, potentially people that have never stepped foot inside the ground, can go for free.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 am If Tigers did that, people would moan that they’d spent their money on a season ticket yet others, potentially people that have never stepped foot inside the ground, can go for free.
A lot of people buy their season tickets as they like the seat, stand they are in, and the familiarity of the people around them.

You buy late you loose that, which wouldn’t necessarily bother a lot of people
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

St James Park holds over 52,000 so they have many more empty seats to fill than Tigers do (excluding a match against Calvisano that would be a low attendance even if the team were currently the best in the world).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Tiglon if we were in the same position as Bristol were, I’d imagine not many more would have gone to the Calvisiano game but at least the Crumbie would have been a bit more full.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 pm Yes Tiglon if we were in the same position as Bristol were, I’d imagine not many more would have gone to the Calvisiano game but at least the Crumbie would have been a bit more full.
Maybe, maybe not.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Even in the early 00's when we were selling out most games, one sided games against lower standard opposition were never as popular. It's not exactly sport when it's a foregone conclusion who will win a game so I'm not surprised with the lower numbers for the Calvisano game in particular.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Only time will tell as to whether we have a problem with falling attendance.

A couple of long standing season ticket holder sitting next to me did not renew this season and the same goes for a family of three on the row behind. It is hence very probable that by the end of the season to total number will have fallen by a thousand or two. However, if we start to win games again the numbers will without doubt begin to rise again. We just need to start winning :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!