Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Calvisano v Tigers - return fixture next week

Post by kk20gb30 »

Kudos to the Tigers support...

Yes you can only beat what is in front of you,
Yes four from four , topping the European group.

We all have eyes though , and we all can see.
I fear for us unless something changes.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The pitch must of been bad for GM to say that, I remember the season he did his shoulder (the one when Tuquiri was his replacement) & his comeback was off the bench at Leeds on a pitch that was about 50% sand, 40% mud, 10% grass.
When warming up during the game in the in goal area, he started to sink into the "pitch" cue some interesting language.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 am The pitch must of been bad for GM to say that, I remember the season he did his shoulder (the one when Tuquiri was his replacement) & his comeback was off the bench at Leeds on a pitch that was about 50% sand, 40% mud, 10% grass.
When warming up during the game in the in goal area, he started to sink into the "pitch" cue some interesting language.
The pitch wasn't that bad! Reasonable excuse to use though.
The continual box kicking is just pathetic, twice when the ball went through hands to the wings we scored. To see TV punting it through instead of running beggars belief :smt017
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Talking about this to the old man last night over the ritual glass. (Look a win's an excuse. Right?)
He said, "Look at the FA cup. As a top flight team you get drawn away against a non league side. You have to play against spoiling tactics, the niggles, the ref, the crowd, the pitch, the journey and the facilities. You're on a hiding to nothing. If you win comfortably it was only expected and people moan. If you win narrowly, you should have done better and people moan, If you loose your a total bunch of (insert expletive here) and people moan."

He's about right. Maybe we'll muck it up against Exeter next week. Maybe not.

Look at it this way......they are away to "a second rate team" next week, maybe their fans will moan.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 am The pitch must of been bad for GM to say that, I remember the season he did his shoulder (the one when Tuquiri was his replacement) & his comeback was off the bench at Leeds on a pitch that was about 50% sand, 40% mud, 10% grass.
The continual box kicking is just pathetic, twice when the ball went through hands to the wings we scored. To see TV punting it through instead of running beggars belief :smt017
What?! Box kicking?! When Ben Youngs wasn’t playing?! That can’t be right?! So many people say it is only Ben Youngs that box kicks too much!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:25 am
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 am
What?! Box kicking?! When Ben Youngs wasn’t playing?! That can’t be right?! So many people say it is only Ben Youngs that box kicks too much!
Basic game plan of kicking and getting them turning was sound. The issue was that Harrison kicking was dire, maybe there should have been a plan B
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Kicking was in general poor as was the decision making at times. Keeping the ball in hand would have been the best option on a number of occasions when the decision was made to kick (not very well).

Calvasino did get away with a lot at the breakdown and there was a lot of off side missed but in such circumstances you need to play the ref by ensuring you have enough players in to secure quick ball.

Why on earth don't we pick and go more often? It changes defensive patterns and after three or four phases can create space on the outside by drawing players in.

All in all not a great performance and only time will tell as to whether resting a few star players will give us a payoff against the Chiefs.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:12 pm I do agree it’s difficult playing a match when the ref makes no attempt to referee the breakdown properly and the opposition takes full advantage of that
Then why didn’t Tigers take full advantage too? You play the ref!
Valhalla I am coming!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fleabane wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:44 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:12 pm I do agree it’s difficult playing a match when the ref makes no attempt to referee the breakdown properly and the opposition takes full advantage of that
From what I saw he was penalising Tigers for similar offences.
It’s another issue with playing in the 2nd string competition you get 2nd string officials
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Yes agreed.. you should, but we didn't for some reason. Need to be more flexible in adjusting game plan and tactics in game. A bit like Reid going off and then seeming lost for ideas!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm
From what I saw he was penalising Tigers for similar offences.
That’s what I saw too - & why I say we got on his wrong side. Once that happens it can be difficult to undo.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Because we have been clueless at that for years.
To win is not as important as playing with style!