Calvisano v Tigers - return fixture next week

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Calvisano v Tigers - return fixture next week

Post by Mark62 »

From the 50 odd minutes I saw Harrison was poor, but in saying that he’s poor more often than people on here except.

Did look like the backs were playing to a game plan though, no excuses but it can’t have helped losing Reid so early to be replaced by a player who can’t have trained much with the squad. Hardwick staying at 10 too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not sure Cohen would appreciate being compared to Corbyn too much.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

McPhilips looked lively but should have played 10 with Hardwick at 12.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:31 pm McPhilips looked lively but should have played 10 with Hardwick at 12.
Agreed, strange decision,
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:31 pm McPhilips looked lively but should have played 10 with Hardwick at 12.
Hardwick is a young lad higher up the pecking order than McPhillips. Geordie wanted Hardwick to get more game time at 10 hence he remained at 10. McPhillips appears to be a squad player so filled the position we needed him to. We are using this competition to experiment, give experience and get game time into returning players.

Got the result we were looking for today but not the performance. We'll need significantly more Vs Chiefs.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm
Hardwick is a young lad higher up the pecking order than McPhillips. Geordie wanted Hardwick to get more game time at 10 hence he remained at 10. McPhillips appears to be a squad player so filled the position we needed him to. We are using this competition to experiment, give experience and get game time into returning players.

Got the result we were looking for today but not the performance. We'll need significantly more Vs Chiefs.
Don’t disagree with you but Mcphillips is pre dominantly a 10, Hardwick is equally adept at 10 or 12. Agree about the experiment experience and returning players
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The way the pools are looking I think that a bonus point win at home to Cardiff will get us third seeding behind Bristol and Toulon.
Toulon will fancy a final in Marseille
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:54 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Don’t disagree with you but Mcphillips is pre dominantly a 10, Hardwick is equally adept at 10 or 12. Agree about the experiment experience and returning players
Oh yeah I agree completely in terms of what would have been the expected use of the players and probably would have been if Murphy wasn't using this as much as a development opportunity as a competitive competition.

I suppose with Reid going off Hardwick will likely be on the bench in the Prem next weekend. Only takes one knock to Ford and then Hardwick is at 10 and we're counting on him so every minute of senior experience at 10 could be important.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:26 pm From the 50 odd minutes I saw Harrison was poor, but in saying that he’s poor more often than people on here except.

Did look like the backs were playing to a game plan though, no excuses but it can’t have helped losing Reid so early to be replaced by a player who can’t have trained much with the squad. Hardwick staying at 10 too
Except what?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:04 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:26 pm From the 50 odd minutes I saw Harrison was poor, but in saying that he’s poor more often than people on here except.

Except what?
My apologies should be Accept
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:07 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Except what?
My apologies should be Accept
Thanks for clearing that up.
On Harrison, his reward for playing well has always been to be dropped as soon as BY wants a game, not a great way to get the best out of players.
It's a bit odd to select a player to start who is off soon, BY could do with the practice.
I am starting to get the impression that someone is not keen to give Simmons a platform to shine.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm It’ll be interesting to hear what Geordan says post match.
“It was probably one of the worst games of rugby I've been involved in, conditions were poor and the pitch was a bog.

We started the game how we wanted to but then Calvisano took the pace out of the game and the French referee was lenient in how they went about doing that.

We wanted to play fast and put the ball in behind them but it was a gritty performance and we had to stay in the game to win it."

Fair enough really.. pretty much sums it up
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm It’ll be interesting to hear what Geordan says post match.
“It was probably one of the worst games of rugby I've been involved in, conditions were poor and the pitch was a bog.

We started the game how we wanted to but then Calvisano took the pace out of the game and the French referee was lenient in how they went about doing that.

We wanted to play fast and put the ball in behind them but it was a gritty performance and we had to stay in the game to win it."

Fair enough really.. pretty much sums it up
I’d say that was a fair summary, certainly hasn’t tried to dress anything up
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Being a bit generous there is Geordie, when was the last time we played fast?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Now back at my hotel on Lake Garda after our trip this afternoon. Geordie right about the pitch and the ref, who was doing his best to ignore a multitude of Calvisano ruses, especially slowing the ball at the breakdown. That said we were quickly on the wrong side of him in part through our own actions. The red was for a kick at the ruck, but I saw nothing to warrant either of our yellows and agree Bateman didn’t pull the maul down they did. Pen count may have done for Lavanini but I didn’t see an infringement myself.

Easy to see Lavanini’s class, but he does seem to do some crazy stuff. Hands on the floor in the ruck was brainless in front of the ref and obvious from half a pitch away, and there was too much of that from us. Harrison slow and making poor choices. That said the younger players will have learnt and the older pros were mostly in need of game time. Lewis continues to impress. White clearly upset at the decision at the end.