Championship Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship Rugby

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 pm So a pretty good weekend for Tigers all things considered. The biggest positive was a BP win against a well drilled Bristol team and to leave with a 5-0 points tally was very much needed.

Other positives to come out of this weekends fixtures are Worcester and Quins getting nothing, Irish getting a single point and Wasps after a late scare only picking up 2. Yes, Sarries are bottom but I think we all expect them to move out of the basement before too long. The most important factor is us winning our games but it's always good to have a helping hand with other results working in our favour.

Looking at the middle/bottom of the table we have:

5) Bristol 18
6) Bath 17
7) Worcester 17
8) Quins 17
9) Wasps 13
10) Irish 13
11) Leicester 11
12) Sarries -7

So after 8 rounds we are a mere 2 points off 9th place, 6 points off 6th and 7 points off 5th. The 6N will undoubtedly have a huge impact on how the next few months pans out but things are looking a lot better for us, despite our current standing.

We have scored more points than Worcester and conceded less points than Irish, Wasps and Quins and our PD is superior to Irish and Worcester. After a very slow start we have also scored 10 tries in our last 3 matches and finally notched up our first BP.

Far from being out of the woods but some very promising signs. I just hope that the 6N doesn't derail our resurgence.
A doom monger might point out that Bristol had failed to win their previous 3 games, including a draw at home to the struggling Irish and a loss at home to the struggling Wasps.

A happy clapper might say that Bristol are in trouble after failing to beat any of the 3 relegation favourites in consecutive games and should be catchable.

To be honest, if I was a Bristol fan I'd be hoping for some good results during the 6N because if they're in the mix afterwards they might well go down on current form. Irish v Bears on the final day might even be a relegation playoff if both teams continue as they are.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:06 am There are empty seats at Welford Road, but there are every season. If there are more this season it's more likely due to poor performances and the world cup, not a response to "the way rugby is going" - whatever that means.

Every day people lose interest in something, it's normal, they then find interest in something else. A lot of my friends and I lost interest in football some years ago, but that sport is doing just fine without us.

We all know that if you change something you will annoy some people who liked it how it was before, the idea is to change it to make it appeal to more new people than you lose. If rugby stays the same as it was in 1970 then pretty soon all the people who liked it that way will be too old or too grumpy to have a strong interest in it.

The only thing in life that doesn't change, that has never changed, is change itself.
Agree with your comments.
Anyone else notice all the empty seats at the Ricoh, for what was a supposed local derby. Wasps seem to be struggling in all areas
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

wellstiger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am Just getting a view of feelings from posters in the build up to a crucial time pre Christmas.
Are we destined for Championship rugby
YES - NO replies please - no prevarication YES or NO

:smt018
I can now safely answer this with a resounding no!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51164177

:smt026
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:50 pm
wellstiger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am Just getting a view of feelings from posters in the build up to a crucial time pre Christmas.

:smt050

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TigerS2 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Let us not assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory, titles are not won by cheats getting relegated instead of us...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crofty wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm

Let us not assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory, titles are not won by cheats getting relegated instead of us...
They are not you’re right, but considering our current position we are fighting to avoid relegation and ensure Premiership survival not for the title.

Even the most optimistic of supporters can’t surely be expecting Tigers to be challenging for the title at this point in time. Our time will come again, soon I’m sure, but for now surely we can celebrate the knowledge that come what may, we will be back to challenge again next season in the top flight of English rugby.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:05 am
They are not you’re right, but considering our current position we are fighting to avoid relegation and ensure Premiership survival not for the title.

Even the most optimistic of supporters can’t surely be expecting Tigers to be challenging for the title at this point in time. Our time will come again, soon I’m sure, but for now surely we can celebrate the knowledge that come what may, we will be back to challenge again next season in the top flight of English rugby.
My point is more if we finish 11th, thereby only avoiding relegation by $arrie$ punishment we must not allow the Board of Directors to remain complacent or we will ne for the drop next season.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:05 am

My point is more of we finish 11th, thereby only avoiding relegation by $arrie$ punishment we must not allow the Board of Directors to remain complacent or we will ne for the drop next season.
With you now, and yes, I totally agree. Hopefully we will continue to go from strength to strength and will finish the season in a slightly more respectable position.

Time will tell but yes, if we finish 11th then it’s worrying about the prospects for next season but my gut feeling is that the coaches are starting to find their rhythm and the addition of Borthwick post 6N will only galvanize them further. The team have strung together a few decent performances lately and we have seen some impressive second half showings.

Onwards and upwards... here’s hoping anyway!