Championship Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Championship Rugby

Post by fortysix »

To anyone with any logic or common sense, he has to go now, even if we win today.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:40 am I will be annoyed if they do ringfence, if we’re bad enough to go down we should go down.
I agree, ringfencing will be the beginning of the end of any meaningful competition.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

fortysix wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am To anyone with any logic or common sense, he has to go now, even if we win today.
I doubt it will happen, the BoD have painted themselves into a corner now. Even if it did it would be one year too late in my view.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

fortysix wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am To anyone with any logic or common sense, he has to go now, even if we win today.
Concur
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No, there's literally no point sacking Murphy unless we have the right person to takeover. Knee jerk reactions got us into this mess and they won't get us out if it. Now if we've got a Wayne Smith or a Tony Brown or finally Borthwick waiting in the wings then that's a different matter.

I think there is a role for Murphy at the club because he clearly has some vision of where we need to be but head coach isn't that role.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If there is a role it isn’t skills coach and isn’t head coach and I just don’t see any vision that would merit the role of director of rugby. He is far too inexperienced to justify that role and to be blunt he has failed at every level since he ceased playing.

In reality he has been promoted to coaching roles he lacked experience or track record to justify and got dumped on with the head coach role. Effectively set up to fail and not able to impose a team structure on a side where some of the senior players seem to select themselves and play the game they choose not what they were coached to play. Not senior enough, experienced and distanced from the players to say “ This is the game plan, follow it or play for the reserves.”
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am
No, there's literally no point sacking Murphy unless we have the right person to takeover. Knee jerk reactions got us into this mess and they won't get us out if it. Now if we've got a Wayne Smith or a Tony Brown or finally Borthwick waiting in the wings then that's a different matter.

I think there is a role for Murphy at the club because he clearly has some vision of where we need to be but head coach isn't that role.
Agree. I seem to recall people calling for Cockers to go, the board responded to the fan pressure, and he went. Hmmmm
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:01 pm If there is a role it isn’t skills coach and isn’t head coach and I just don’t see any vision that would merit the role of director of rugby. He is far too inexperienced to justify that role and to be blunt he has failed at every level since he ceased playing.

In reality he has been promoted to coaching roles he lacked experience or track record to justify and got dumped on with the head coach role. Effectively set up to fail and not able to impose a team structure on a side where some of the senior players seem to select themselves and play the game they choose not what they were coached to play. Not senior enough, experienced and distanced from the players to say “ This is the game plan, follow it or play for the reserves.”
What was his remit as skills coach? You don't know I don't know. What you can assume is that working with the back three players was part of his job and what we did see was TV go from an explosive winger to an all round fullback who is one of the best in Europe. Worth has developed into a rock solid player under the high ball. May's all round game has developed out of sight.

Head coach is definitely a step to far. DOR or a pathway job now that is where he should be. Under Murphy we've seen us actually use the development squad, development squad players are all dual registered so they are playing every week whether it's in green, red and white or elsewhere. As such when we want them they are looking much sharper and slotting in more readily. Recruitment has changed and last summer's recruits are the best for some time. Things around the first team are moving in the right direction we are more self sufficient in terms of player production and as such we are freeing up funds for better quality players in key positions.

What we really need is someone to sort out game day performance...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Eighteen months of performances becoming worse every week. Hardly knee jerk!
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:49 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:01 pm If there is a role it isn’t skills coach and isn’t head coach and I just don’t see any vision that would merit the role of director of rugby. He is far too inexperienced to justify that role and to be blunt he has failed at every level since he ceased playing.

What was his remit as skills coach? You don't know I don't know. What you can assume is that working with the back three players was part of his job and what we did see was TV go from an explosive winger to an all round fullback who is one of the best in Europe. Worth has developed into a rock solid player under the high ball. May's all round game has developed out of sight.

Head coach is definitely a step to far. DOR or a pathway job now that is where he should be. Under Murphy we've seen us actually use the development squad, development squad players are all dual registered so they are playing every week whether it's in green, red and white or elsewhere. As such when we want them they are looking much sharper and slotting in more readily. Recruitment has changed and last summer's recruits are the best for some time. Things around the first team are moving in the right direction we are more self sufficient in terms of player production and as such we are freeing up funds for better quality players in key positions.

Some good points made there - I think most of us have assumed that Skills Coach meant handling skills etc across the team, but perhaps he was specifically working with the back three players, in which case as you point out we have seen a lot of good things. I'm sure most would agree on recruitment and integration of youngsters into the first team - definitely improved.

The problem is the absolutely awful showing on the pitch which, as Head Coach, must surely be his priority. Maybe he'll be an excellent DoR, but will it be too late by then? The board should never have put him in the HC role because by the time he does move up to DoR all the fans will remember is his terrible record as HC.

If he does turn out to be the DoR we need, and Borthwick comes along and is a wonderful HC, then I'm happy to take a season in the Championship to get there. That's a lot of "if" though, big gamble by the board...
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

He was fine as water boy, should have left it there.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Eighteen months of performances becoming worse every week. Hardly knee jerk!
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:49 pm

Some good points made there - I think most of us have assumed that Skills Coach meant handling skills etc across the team, but perhaps he was specifically working with the back three players, in which case as you point out we have seen a lot of good things. I'm sure most would agree on recruitment and integration of youngsters into the first team - definitely improved.

The problem is the absolutely awful showing on the pitch which, as Head Coach, must surely be his priority. Maybe he'll be an excellent DoR, but will it be too late by then? The board should never have put him in the HC role because by the time he does move up to DoR all the fans will remember is his terrible record as HC.

If he does turn out to be the DoR we need, and Borthwick comes along and is a wonderful HC, then I'm happy to take a season in the Championship to get there. That's a lot of "if" though, big gamble by the board...
It's knee jerk if you haven't got a replacement lined up. If the board say enough is enough after the game tomorrow and bring in an experienced replacement immediately I think we'd all understand and be happy. Sacking Murphy with nobody ready to come in is unacceptable.

Agreed. Murphy should never have been given the head coaching job full time. I don't think you'll find anybody that thinks that was a good idea.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Geordan should be given the Alan Birchenall type role at the King Power
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Come on lads.. only 12 points off the playoffs.. keep it coming!

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041

*ok, so maybe I got a little over excited but it’s a tight table and most teams seem to be dropping points so I’m feeling optimistic after some positives these last 2 games. Lots of work to be done but moving in the right direction finally!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:40 am I will be annoyed if they do ringfence, if we’re bad enough to go down we should go down.
It would almost be as unpalatable as relegation itself. I can just see it happening, particularly if there is any danger of it having any knock on effect on international availability etc.

CVC - hence PRL - want ringfencing to ensure stability and broadcast revenue. As an example, they don't want the best supported team in the country dropping into a league where customers have to pay a different broadcaster to watch matches.

RFU want it to allow greater opportunity to access players, and maybe even find a way to centrally contract them.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:50 am
It would almost be as unpalatable as relegation itself. I can just see it happening, particularly if there is any danger of it having any knock on effect on international availability etc.

CVC - hence PRL - want ringfencing to ensure stability and broadcast revenue. As an example, they don't want the best supported team in the country dropping into a league where customers have to pay a different broadcaster to watch matches.

RFU want it to allow greater opportunity to access players, and maybe even find a way to centrally contract them.
First of all, let me say that I’m heartily against ring-fencing. But, there has been much speculation about whether Sarries have made changes to their squad for this season to avoid breaching the cap again. Should they be found to have broken the cap on a second offence, I’d laugh my crimbo socks off if they got punished by relegation at the end of the season and the door slammed in their face!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….