Re: Championship Rugby

Post by JGT57 »

Yes
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We might be Ok if we can play Bath every week, Clermont murdering them.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm Clearly something needs to change to avoid relegation but that could be that quite simply the team plays better. I am not saying that can't or won't happen unless the coaches change. Evidence thus far would suggest otherwise. But it's possible.

I reckon Murphy has the next block of three Prem matches - Chiefs (H), Quins (A), Bears (H). More of the same we'd had so far won't be good enough.
I'm conscious that a lot of my posts seem very negative. I really don't want to be. I honestly want Tigers to thrive. However looking at the fixtures that the other potential relegation candidates mentioned above have over the next three games, the points they have already, Tigers recent record against Exeter, Harlequins and Bristol, and the teams current performances it doesn't take too much imagination to see a 'potential relegation table' after 8 games that looks as follows:

Worcester 18
Harlequins 18
Bath 13
Wasps 6
Tigers 6
Saracens -5
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whoever will be relegated it will be historically a giant of the game, be either us, Wasps or Bath unless Worcester lose their momentum.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:22 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm Clearly something needs to change to avoid relegation but that could be that quite simply the team plays better. I am not saying that can't or won't happen unless the coaches change. Evidence thus far would suggest otherwise. But it's possible.

I reckon Murphy has the next block of three Prem matches - Chiefs (H), Quins (A), Bears (H). More of the same we'd had so far won't be good enough.
I'm conscious that a lot of my posts seem very negative. I really don't want to be. I honestly want Tigers to thrive. However looking at the fixtures that the other potential relegation candidates mentioned above have over the next three games, the points they have already, Tigers recent record against Exeter, Harlequins and Bristol, and the teams current performances it doesn't take too much imagination to see a 'potential relegation table' after 8 games that looks as follows:

Worcester 18
Harlequins 18
Bath 13
Wasps 6
Tigers 6
Saracens -5
Although I admit to being a deflated happy clapper, I would be disappointed if we didn’t have at least 13 points after the next 3 fixtures.
Exeter will rotate next weekend, 6 day turnaround after 2 tough games.
Things aren’t great at Quins and they are beatable at the Big Stoop, and I think we stand a decent chance against Brizzle
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 pm No.

1. The Insects are worse.
2. Baaaaarth are the same standard as us.
3. Our youngsters are getting better. And in some ways showing the way.
4. Our pack will be a different beast when (if) our new boys are all fit.
5. The England guys need time. The whole system changed while they were away.
6. Kalamafoni has come back from the World Cup an even better player.
7. Lavanini will learn English and the line out calls. In fact, some of our English speaking forwards will also learn the line out calls.
8. The Board might persuade the Premiership to have no demotion this season.
9. Tom Youngs always has at least one game when he throws the ball straight in to the line out.
10. We always play better with Veainu.
11. Any new coach will provide a bounce for at least a few games.
12. Saints, in my opinion, are a serious contender this season. We are not the only team they will tear apart. But Saints at WR is a different game.
13. The team will realise that it may be beneficial to pass the ball to Manu and May occasionally.
14. Confidence shoots up because Austin Healey unexpectedly says something complementary about Tigers in his commentary.
15. Thompson always pulls off at least one match saving turnover.
16. George Ford will save us again (Hallelujah!).
17. Quins always have a shocker at Welford Road.
18. Genge will get rid of the ‘baby’ part and go full Rhino.
19. Warren Gatland and Makazole Mapimpi will get an unexpected urge to live in Leicestershire (before you get excited this is pure wishful thinking - it would be nice though wouldn’t it.....)

In summary we have improved from unfit and terrible last season to fit and average.
Some valid points but I'd dispute that last part, after 5 games last season we'd won two and scored a lot more points. We're markedly worse this year.
But we weren’t without our internationals for the first four games of last season so it’s not a fair comparison..

And my answer is : No
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:10 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Worcester 18
Harlequins 18
Bath 13
Wasps 6
Tigers 6
Saracens -5
Although I admit to being a deflated happy clapper, I would be disappointed if we didn’t have at least 13 points after the next 3 fixtures.
Exeter will rotate next weekend, 6 day turnaround after 2 tough games.
Things aren’t great at Quins and they are beatable at the Big Stoop, and I think we stand a decent chance against Brizzle
Sincerely hope you are right and happy to buy the beers, well, the first beer, if we do.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

So do I and I don’t think it’s unrealistic if we find some form.

Unfortunately it could just as well go horribly wrong, and if it does it’s going to be very difficult to survive, Borthwick or no Borthwick
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes if Murphs is still head coach. No if he gets fired at Christmas and someone else takes over.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

G.K wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm Yes if Murphs is still head coach. No if he gets fired at Christmas and someone else takes over.
He will be not be fired regardless of performance or results that much is already crystal clear in my opinion.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

sapajo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:20 pm
G.K wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm Yes if Murphs is still head coach. No if he gets fired at Christmas and someone else takes over.
He will be not be fired regardless of performance or results that much is already crystal clear in my opinion.
Well look on the bright side then, tickets will cost a lot less next season. :-)
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

All possible. But we are joint favourites to be relegated.
But
Maybe Newcastle might not want to come up, because it would involve their owner spending a Queens ransom updating a very sparse Premiership squad... Just to come down again.......
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fortysix wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm All possible. But we are joint favourites to be relegated.
But
Maybe Newcastle might not want to come up, because it would involve their owner spending a Queens ransom updating a very sparse Premiership squad... Just to come down again.......
There may be some players going very cheap, I hope not.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rumour circulating on Twitter that if Newcastle are promoted this year, which is very likely, league will be ringfenced and Wasps will be “strongly encouraged” to merge with another Midlands/London club.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni