Do they read this forum

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

harris8

Re: Do they read this forum

Post by harris8 »

Even if they read the forum and the social media they shouldn't be affected by the comments out there as professionals. Either on the pitch or outside of the pitch, comparison must be only the success of the team, not the drools on the internet.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

No apologies for feeling that the sheer bloodymindedness and rugby nous of Tigers evident in the 2000s has evaporated in the late 2010s.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
glenn

Post by glenn »

If i have a bad day at the workplace, I get a rollicking. I do.it again I get a sit down, again a verbal warning and so on....

My colleagues will tell me I have fluffed up, so will my customers. I take it on the chin. I don't get paid mega bucks, have the backing of a physio when my back.is sore or a physiologist on hand to talk to, my kit washed etc.so why am I, as a customer of Leicester tigers not able to free state that my team is awful? I'm sure.if a player goes to a shop and gets bad service they complain, they do.it's on Twitter regular as clockwork (not our lads.I will add), so either put up or shut up. Pull on the Jersey I have lived for, for the last 35 years and love it like I do! Please, we were awful on Saturday,my saints friends at work didn't even wind me up about the loss. It was worse... They felt sorry for me!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I must admit that I have never felt so despondent about the Tigers and have been a season ticket holder since 1984. After last seasons very poor performances I had hoped that we would have learnt our lessons and with a full pre-season and a number of new signings, would be at least mid-table.
To add to my woes there seems to be no reassurances coming from the club that they are addressing the issues just the same old sound bites from Murphy and the players.
Please can we have some good news :smt022
A2O
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

glenn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am If i have a bad day at the workplace, I get a rollicking. I do.it again I get a sit down, again a verbal warning and so on....

My colleagues will tell me I have fluffed up, so will my customers. I take it on the chin. I don't get paid mega bucks, have the backing of a physio when my back.is sore or a physiologist on hand to talk to, my kit washed etc.so why am I, as a customer of Leicester tigers not able to free state that my team is awful? I'm sure.if a player goes to a shop and gets bad service they complain, they do.it's on Twitter regular as clockwork (not our lads.I will add), so either put up or shut up. Pull on the Jersey I have lived for, for the last 35 years and love it like I do! Please, we were awful on Saturday,my saints friends at work didn't even wind me up about the loss. It was worse... They felt sorry for me!
Mega bucks? Are you watching the right sport because you're clearly not talking about most of the matchday 23?

A physio for your sore back? Reminds me of a poster's comment a while back that when a colleague had an injury he was soon back behind his desk unlike the malingering rugby player with something similar who took a while before he was putting his body on the line again on the pitch. It's a bit different.

I felt that the problem on Saturday (notwithstanding that a loss away to the top of the table team is not entirely unexpected) lay further up the chain than with the grunts on the ground.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Read that average premiership player, is on around £120k a year, but after tax, and saving for the future probably more like half that, which ok is comfortable for a short period of time.

I would imagine that a Division 2 footballer is earning more than that
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:24 pm Read that average premiership player, is on around £120k a year, but after tax, and saving for the future probably more like half that, which ok is comfortable for a short period of time.

I would imagine that a Division 2 footballer is earning more than that
That's about average. The median would be a fair bit less. Most will also have an agent who takes a wedge. Maybe it does still sound like megabucks to somebody pulling pints on minimum wage. All a matter of perspective. To me it seems bizarrely little for somebody amongst the best at what he does, especially considering the risk and longevity, even if it is only what the market will bear.

Division 2 (fourth tier, I think) footballers seem to average around the £120k/year mark. I did hear of a premiership soccer player, a third choice who hadn't played any first team matches who got an end of season bonus of £700k.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Only £120k a year? And I thought poverty in the UK was a thing of the past!

And they have to pay tax too? I'm glad I don't have to pay tax... oh wait, I do. Except I probably pay a lot more tax because i don't get paid for image rights which I can have paid to a company in the Cayman Islands.

And then they have to pay the agent who they've chosen to hire! Outrageous, the agent should work for free, no? Although, I have a suspicion that a lot of agents earnings come from clubs not players.

Look, sarcasm aside, rugby players are paid well and do not need any sympathy for imagined financial plight. They get paid enough for there to be a reasonable expectation for them to put in 100% and do a good job.

Yes, footballers get paid more. Get over it.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 am Only £120k a year? And I thought poverty in the UK was a thing of the past!

And they have to pay tax too? I'm glad I don't have to pay tax... oh wait, I do. Except I probably pay a lot more tax because i don't get paid for image rights which I can have paid to a company in the Cayman Islands.

And then they have to pay the agent who they've chosen to hire! Outrageous, the agent should work for free, no? Although, I have a suspicion that a lot of agents earnings come from clubs not players.

Look, sarcasm aside, rugby players are paid well and do not need any sympathy for imagined financial plight. They get paid enough for there to be a reasonable expectation for them to put in 100% and do a good job.

You’re missing the point. Another poster said they were on mega bucks my point is they aren’t, and for a good number they are earning less in their early 30s than they were in their early 20s, in what is a reasonably short career.
If you would like to put your body through what they do for that money then please be my guest.

The 4th tier is a very good comparison. In rugby that is Nat 2, where Leicester lions and Hinckley play, where if they get £200 a week they’re doing well, get physically battered on a Saturday then have to turn up to do a normal job on a Monday
Flash

Post by Flash »

glenn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am my saints friends at work didn't even wind me up about the loss. It was worse... They felt sorry for me!
:smt009
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 am
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 am Only £120k a year? And I thought poverty in the UK was a thing of the past!

You’re missing the point. Another poster said they were on mega bucks my point is they aren’t, and for a good number they are earning less in their early 30s than they were in their early 20s, in what is a reasonably short career.
If you would like to put your body through what they do for that money then please be my guest.

The 4th tier is a very good comparison. In rugby that is Nat 2, where Leicester lions and Hinckley play, where if they get £200 a week they’re doing well, get physically battered on a Saturday then have to turn up to do a normal job on a Monday
I'd love to do it, I'm just not very good at rugby...

We all make choices, and they've made theirs. You make it sound like these guys are forced to play rugby! I don't know what you're expecting... sympathy? Increased wages when clubs are already struggling?

"Mega bucks" is subjective. To some that means millions, to others it very well could mean £120k a year.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 am

I'd love to do it, I'm just not very good at rugby...

We all make choices, and they've made theirs. You make it sound like these guys are forced to play rugby! I don't know what you're expecting... sympathy? Increased wages when clubs are already struggling?

"Mega bucks" is subjective. To some that means millions, to others it very well could mean £120k a year.
This is off topic so,I’m not going to extend the conversation but yes they did make the choice and to reach that level will have had to make a lot of sacrifices since their mid teen years, to choose a career that could be ended in a serious injury at any time. Also the impact that the games physical aspect has on their bodies lasts a life time, so imho they are worth every penny
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

As pointed out, most will be on less than this. Some considerably less.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amAnd they have to pay tax too? I'm glad I don't have to pay tax... oh wait, I do. Except I probably pay a lot more tax because i don't get paid for image rights which I can have paid to a company in the Cayman Islands.
If you're paying a lot more tax, thank you very much. I would suggest you pay somebody to sort it out for you. Or are you just looking for a little sympathy?
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amAnd then they have to pay the agent who they've chosen to hire! Outrageous, the agent should work for free, no? Although, I have a suspicion that a lot of agents earnings come from clubs not players.
Obviously the agent gets paid. That was the original point, Not sure we have any evidence to justify giving any weight to any of your suspicions.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amLook, sarcasm aside, rugby players are paid well and do not need any sympathy for imagined financial plight. They get paid enough for there to be a reasonable expectation for them to put in 100% and do a good job.
Only person asking for sympathy would appear to be you. Sarcasm ongoing.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amYes, footballers get paid more. Get over it.
I think that most of us are over it, especially because most of us can work out why this is the case. For the same reason that rugby players don't earn more than they do.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

h's dad wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm
As pointed out, most will be on less than this. Some considerably less.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amAnd they have to pay tax too? I'm glad I don't have to pay tax... oh wait, I do. Except I probably pay a lot more tax because i don't get paid for image rights which I can have paid to a company in the Cayman Islands.
If you're paying a lot more tax, thank you very much. I would suggest you pay somebody to sort it out for you. Or are you just looking for a little sympathy?
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amAnd then they have to pay the agent who they've chosen to hire! Outrageous, the agent should work for free, no? Although, I have a suspicion that a lot of agents earnings come from clubs not players.
Obviously the agent gets paid. That was the original point, Not sure we have any evidence to justify giving any weight to any of your suspicions.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amLook, sarcasm aside, rugby players are paid well and do not need any sympathy for imagined financial plight. They get paid enough for there to be a reasonable expectation for them to put in 100% and do a good job.
Only person asking for sympathy would appear to be you. Sarcasm ongoing.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 amYes, footballers get paid more. Get over it.
I think that most of us are over it, especially because most of us can work out why this is the case. For the same reason that rugby players don't earn more than they do.
:smt017

To quote Mark62, "I think you've missed the point".

If you go back to the beginning you'll hopefully understand that I wasn't criticising the salaries players earn - i was criticising the insinuations that the salaries are insufficient or unfair. I don't believe that rugby players are hard done by. I imagine they do make a lot of sacrifices and work incredibly hard. They should be very proud of that (no sarcasm intending, before the accusations arrive) but they knew the deal.

To clarify on the tax issue, I probably pay a higher rate of tax, but definitely a lower monetary amount. So there's no need for the "look at this guy bragging about how much tax he pays on his big salary" - I'm just another peasant.
glenn

Post by glenn »

As an i, minimum wage, no sponsored car, kit, joules clothes etc. When I said mega bucks it was a term of phrase. My apologies if I have offended anyone earning more than others or vice versa.

I expect that my supervisor earning more than I would work harder, their manager harder then both, until the director earning even more would be responsible and paid more for making those decisions. If they are wrong they take the brunt,not little ol me on the shopfloor