Coghlan
Simmons
Ford
May
Taute
Tuilagi
Browning
Steward

Kerr, Gigena, Heyes, Green, Tuafua, Youngs, Hardwick, Olowafela.
Bundy

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by Bundy »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 am These games fall into the CBA category.

Sorry..........I'm too depressed to care.
Never thought I would say it but I feel the same. Added to the fact that Tigers are likely to win next weekend only because Calvisano are even more dross than we are so it won't be much of a contest in the runners up European competition. How the mighty have fallen and I really can't see the cure anytime soon
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I don't see these games as that important really. We showed that by thrashing Pau to build confidence, which didn't translate to the Northampton match. I don't think that beating a team a lot worse than you builds confidence honestly.
Over the next two games I'd employ a fair amount of rotation.
I think moving Manu to inside center may be wise as in the premiership the ball hardly gets that far wide. We want him on the ball as much as possible. Let him get used to it.

If Harrsion is still around then I hope that we play him, it may be his final home game as others will be played instead of him in the league.

Genge, Kerr, Cole, Lavanini, Green, Lewis, Thompson(Reffell if fit), Coghlan,

Simmons, Ford, Olowofela, Tuilangi, Taute, Browning, Steward

Replacements: Clare, Gigena, Heyes, Jordan/Martin, Kalamafoni, Harrison (his farewell game?), Costelow, EW Viljoen
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I just think Tigers need to get players into form; at the Pau game myself and a few other fans thought we looked rusty and with the team we had out should have scored more tries. Certainly don’t mind mixing the team up but only if we put combinations together that will play v Exeter.
Again I emphasise that this may be the second tier European Challenge but every game is massive for us in our predicament!
I don’t get this mentality of not caring; that’s how we’ve fallen so low. Years ago Tigers never contemplated losing any match at any level.
Lastly, as a player, I’d want to get out on the pitch as soon as possible to put the Saints ‘ game behind me. Saints didn’t win it we handed them the game on a plate.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Let’s hope there’ll be a sizeable crowd, although I fear that many regulars will have other priorities. It’s at times like these that the players really need their supporters to get behind them.
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:24 pm Genge
Clare
Leatigaga
Wells
Lavanini
Lewis
Thompson
Coghlan
Simmons
Ford
May
Taute
Tuilagi
Browning
Steward

We cannot waste any of our England players (unlikely they will be selected by Jones again) but dont their England Contracts say they can only play 7 games, so why waste them on a semi amateur side? Yes I know they need to play together but i'm sure we will select only a 2/3rd team for this game and include a number of our new arrivals etc. 6 of us will be there.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

I had hoped for a first XV for the Cardiff game to help prep the squad for the Saints game, and after that performance against Saints I still hope for the first XV to get more game time as they've not off the starting blocks in any way shape or form. I shall be at the Dubai 7's but hoping our loyal Welford Road faithful get some value for their money this time!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm
Clare
Leatigaga
Wells
Lavanini
Lewis
Thompson
Coghlan
Simmons
Ford
May
Taute
Tuilagi
Browning
Steward

We cannot waste any of our England players (unlikely they will be selected by Jones again) but dont their England Contracts say they can only play 7 games, so why waste them on a semi amateur side? Yes I know they need to play together but i'm sure we will select only a 2/3rd team for this game and include a number of our new arrivals etc. 6 of us will be there.
This 7 games is fiction, they cannot play anymore than 30 meaningful games in a season, meaningful being more than 20 minutes playing time.

Personally I would have the England boys load the bench, and let Sam Harrison lead the side from 9
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm
Clare
Leatigaga
Wells
Lavanini
Lewis
Thompson
Coghlan
Simmons
Ford
May
Taute
Tuilagi
Browning
Steward

What England players?
I didn't see any against Saints!
They should worry more about their Tigers form first because they won't get picked for England playing like that!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cole showed up that was it really.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Bundy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Never thought I would say it but I feel the same. Added to the fact that Tigers are likely to win next weekend only because Calvisano are even more dross than we are so it won't be much of a contest in the runners up European competition. How the mighty have fallen and I really can't see the cure anytime soon
Yeah mostly this ↑

But also, the group of players that went to Cardiff have, in my opinion, earned another outing.

Nothing to be gained by the first team putting 50 past Calvisano, they might gain confidence but it will be confidence in doing things that probably won't be good enough to beat any Premiership opposition.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm
Bundy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah mostly this ↑

But also, the group of players that went to Cardiff have, in my opinion, earned another outing.

Nothing to be gained by the first team putting 50 past Calvisano, they might gain confidence but it will be confidence in doing things that probably won't be good enough to beat any Premiership opposition.
I’m sure you’re right, but as awful as Saturday performance was , I think there have been a certain amount of match rustyness against Saints.
That being said Farrell and Itoje were pretty good for Saracens
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

A mixture of starters who need to find form and youngsters who have earnt starts would be my choice.

1.Genge
2.Kerr
3.Heyes
4.Lavanini
5.Green
6.Lewis
7.Reffell (c)
8.Taufua

9.Simmons
10.Ford

11.May
12.Hardwick
13.Taute
14.Browning
15.Steward

16.Clare
17.Gigena
18.Cole
19.Jordan
20.Coghlan
21.White
22.Costelow
23.Tuilagi

Is Boladau fit yet? He'd be a useful player to have back if Taufau is still struggling. Particularly with Liebenberg looking likely to be out for a while.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As it might be his last game Harrison to start & captain.
Then select some players who might fancy actually trying to make a impression for the good...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It just goes from bad to worse for us with Holmes now ruled out for 6 weeks. With Veianu, Olowofela and Sam AR out we are already struggling on the wing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50646125

A lot has been said about Tigers and their poor form but I think these next 2 games are a great opportunity to try and build some consistency and get a bit of confidence back. Like it or not, GM seems to be here to stay, for now at least anyway so perhaps this is an opportunity for the coaching team to select a strong squad for these back to back matches, try something other than aimless box kicking for a change, perhaps even try and run the ball (as we have already shown we are pretty good at) and notch up 10 points which would leave us on 19 points after 4 games and in a very strong position in the Cup.

The squad needs cohesion and game time together and with some exciting new names having signed over the summer I would like to see a mix of experience and youth starting this weekend with the likes of Taufua (if fit), Lavanini, Leatigaga, Viljoen all given some game time.

We need to start winning, regardless of the opposition and I think this weekend is a great opportunity to get some confidence back. We would be going in to the Exeter game with a completely different mindset if we perform well over the next 2 games, score a few tries and play well as a team. Ok, so you can't compare Exeter to Calvisano but on paper, our starting 15 should be a match for anybody and it's about time we saw the good old Tigers of old fronting up and performing to the level we all know they are capable of and should be performing to.

Back to back BP wins, a comprehensive performance, faster delivery away from the breakdown, the line speed that we showed vs Cardiff and no aimless box kicking and we might start to get somewhere. Come on lads, let's do this... please!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!