Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by markharbtiger »

I was a little surprised by the team selection for this fixture. Frankly, the GP must take precedence, and I would have rested more of our international/first team players accordingly. All I can see is that a short term gain (a win hopefully) is overshadowing everything else. Maybe it’s needed. Do our players really only need the confidence boost of a win plus more game time?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 am Do our players really only need the confidence boost of a win plus more game time?
Murphy needs a win and the club needs to ensure the ground is not empty.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Smacks of desperation to me.
I'm not cynical just experienced
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:43 am
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 am Do our players really only need the confidence boost of a win plus more game time?
Exactly that. I think had we performed considerably better vs Saints then we would have fielded a slightly weaker team but based on recent form I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.. GM needs a win and they want to get the fans back onside
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 am Frankly, the GP must take precedence
Even more so now given that Bath and Wasps are effectively out of their respective European Cups and will be focused solely on the GP!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

While I'm squarely in the rest big players camp I do have to admit- it is kind of nice to be top of a group at something for the first time in a while! Played 4 won 4 will be a nice stat if you squint a bit and don't look too closely at which competition its in.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=OakhamTiger32 post_id=729705 time=1575713056 user_id=27798]
[quote=markharbtiger post_id=729701 time=1575705915 user_id=10643]
Frankly, the GP must take precedence
[/quote]

Even more so now given that Bath and Wasps are effectively out of their respective European Cups and will be focused solely on the GP!
[/quote]

As are Sarries, looking at their team selection today.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:43 am
I worry about these over the longer term...winning the ‘battle’ is no good if we lose the ‘war’
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:15 am As are Sarries, looking at their team selection today.
You’re not wrong. It will be interesting to reflect back on the different strategies as the season progresses...I really hope we are the ones with the sensible strategy
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am
MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:15 am As are Sarries, looking at their team selection today.
You’re not wrong. It will be interesting to reflect back on the different strategies as the season progresses...I really hope we are the ones with the sensible strategy
Potentially win the challenge cup and get champions cup rugby but get relegated whilst doing it! Ealing Trailfinders one week Leinster the next!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Surely all players need to keep match sharp, I imagine that there will be rotation next week, with Lenny, Ford et al having the week off without having to travel to Italy.

With the likes of Genge, Lavanini, Taufua, Taute to bring in there will be more than enough strength to get the 5 match points out there
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 am
Potentially win the challenge cup and get champions cup rugby but get relegated whilst doing it! Ealing Trailfinders one week Leinster the next!
I’m fairly sure you can’t play in the champions cup if you’re in the championship
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am

I’m fairly sure you can’t play in the champions cup if you’re in the championship
I’m sure you’re right and if so it perhaps suggests where our priorities should lie
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That will be some story!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am

Why not? I know they play whatever the B&I Cup is these days during the European period but I’m sure we could field a b side in the Cup whilst playing in the Champions Cup.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni