Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm Reckon England and Sarries missed a trick not focusing Itoje at 6.
I’d have liked to see Itoje at 8, but sadly, unlikely to happen.
I’m not sure if you’re joking, if you’re not explain why you see Itoje as an 8, he’s got a good handoff and is athletic but is surely too tall to be an 8, of course there are locks who can play eight or vice versa (Nakarawa or indeed Mapapalangi)
Sort of get the point but don’t really agree. I suppose he could have been in the Kieran Reid mode, don’t really see height as an issue as long as you’re athletic enough.

IMHO he is a very good 6 but he is a world class lock
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm Reckon England and Sarries missed a trick not focusing Itoje at 6.
I’d have liked to see Itoje at 8, but sadly, unlikely to happen.
I’m not sure if you’re joking, if you’re not explain why you see Itoje as an 8, he’s got a good handoff and is athletic but is surely too tall to be an 8, of course there are locks who can play eight or vice versa (Nakarawa or indeed Mapapalangi)
No joke at all. Don't think that a good hand-off is a necessary prerequisite, but he has an excellent rugby brain and I remain convinced that he'd have been a good'un at 8. Why too tall? Good line-out man at the back and could contest the oppo's lines-out too. If it were to happen, he'd need regular game time with his club and there's already someone else who ain't that bad!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fair enough I see your point, I just don’t see him being an effective no8 mainly because of size, it would only work with a bruizer at 6 or 4, with Skelton at 4 possibly but then Sarries like to utilise locks or breakdown operators at blindside.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think the extended discussion regarding Itoje is not relevant to this thread. :smt017