Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:13 pm Lewis is apparently just shy of 18 stone so might benefit from bulking up a bit yet but he’s only just 21.
18st? Isn’t that about the same as Itoje?
He’s listed at 6ft 5 and around 17 1/2 stone so couple of inches shorter and stone lighter than Itoje
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Itoje is listed by England as (after a bit of metric conversion for some reason, does any non-sportsperson give their weight in kg?) 6'4 and 18st.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm Itoje is listed by England as (after a bit of metric conversion for some reason, does any non-sportsperson give their weight in kg?) 6'4 and 18st.
He’s more than 6ft 4 6ft 7 or 8 I would say although Wikipedia gives him at 6ft 5 and 18 st 2 so who knows .
It’s like Ben Tamufuna being only 24 stone.

Safe to say that young Sam hasn’t got Itoje muscle bulk
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:35 pm
teds wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:13 pm Lewis is apparently just shy of 18 stone so might benefit from bulking up a bit yet but he’s only just 21.
18st? Isn’t that about the same as Itoje?
He’s listed at 6ft 5 and around 17 1/2 stone so couple of inches shorter and stone lighter than Itoje
Sorry I couldn’t see Itojes specs on Sarries site, but Wikipedia list Itoje as 6’5 same height as Lewis, and 18.2, so four XMas puds heavier, which will come with age.

FWIW while Wikipedia is frequently inaccurate, biometrics published by clubs are also generally wildly inaccurate.

To my mind Lewis is pretty much big enough for lock at club level, especially if partnered with Lavanini, but maybe like Itoje and Lawes a little lightweight to take on the South Africans in the second row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reckon England and Sarries missed a trick not focusing Itoje at 6.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm Reckon England and Sarries missed a trick not focusing Itoje at 6.
Yup, always thought that was odd. Especially with a very good crop of locks coming up behind him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not the full highlights, but Jonny May’s double now posted on LTTV
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Highlights up on the EPCR website:

https://www.epcrugby.com/category/chall ... highlights

Enjoy :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm Reckon England and Sarries missed a trick not focusing Itoje at 6.
Itoje has been regarded as one of the best scrummaging locks in the world by several coaches now including Jones, Hatley, Gatland and Rowntree. That probably played a significant role in his settling at lock in the end.

No doubt he's a brilliant player in either position though. Isiekwe is probably Sarries first choice blindside at full strength with Itoje and Kruis in the row, like Itoje he plays both pretty much interchangeably.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm does any non-sportsperson give their weight in kg
Yup, easier system to deal with when calculating combined masses as few other objects are listed in stone and pound, but then I'm a grumpy old(ish) engineer who does stuff like that. :smt024
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Crofty wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:03 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm does any non-sportsperson give their weight in kg
Yup, easier system to deal with when calculating combined masses as few other objects are listed in stone and pound, but then I'm a grumpy old(ish) engineer who does stuff like that. :smt024
Good point, it would be a bit strange seeing a pack weight given as 144st 10.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I’d have liked to see Itoje at 8, but sadly, unlikely to happen.
Semper in excretia
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

When they play us, I’d rather see him at 10!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

https://www.epcrugby.com/video/highligh ... calvisano/ Highlights from the game. To be honest we looked better live, from pitch side it's even more obvious how laughably bad the opposition are.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm
I’d have liked to see Itoje at 8, but sadly, unlikely to happen.
I’m not sure if you’re joking, if you’re not explain why you see Itoje as an 8, he’s got a good handoff and is athletic but is surely too tall to be an 8, of course there are locks who can play eight or vice versa (Nakarawa or indeed Mapapalangi)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni