Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:32 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:31 pm Call me cynical... have they announced the team a day early to try sell some more tickets....
teams for Saturday games always used to be announced on Thursday
Indeed, but at some point that became Fridays?
under MOC for some reason I believe, start doing things properly again, even the small stuff like naming the team on the right day, then they might start to do the big stuff properly again
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Post by Tiglon »

fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:31 pm Call me cynical... have they announced the team a day early to try sell some more tickets....
Sounds like a sensible idea when most of us were expecting the B team. Might persuade a few more fans to buy tickets, which would be good for the club. I support the club so I'm in favour of that...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:44 pm
Sounds like a sensible idea when most of us were expecting the B team. Might persuade a few more fans to buy tickets, which would be good for the club. I support the club so I'm in favour of that...
I'm not against it! Just intrigued why?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Good to see some returning players and I am very pleased we haven't put the B team out. If we are to build any sort of confidence we need some continuity as far as we possibly can (injuries permitting).
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Back in the 80s all the junior rugby club teams used to be printed in the Mercury on a Thursday along with a list of which referees were doing which games.

Of course this was prior to mobile phones and Tinternet
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:52 pm
I think the deadline for naming the team is 24 hours before or Friday lunchtime. Hence most clubs do it Friday lunchtime. Doubt there's any rules stopping teams naming it earlier as if anything it starts fans talking about the game sooner which is good for the media covering the game and ultimately paying a large proportion of the bills.

It might help the marketing people sell a few more tickets as well which always helps.

It's also Freddie Steward's birthday today so he can celebrate knowing he's starting at the weekend.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

A very strong side. We really should be winning comfortably.
Does anybody know anything about why Cameron Jordan isn't in the squad? Given that we only have 1 lock playing it seems odd to leave him out unless he's injured.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Pleased with the side and how they are integrating a few of the youngsters, although to be honest, the youngsters did well against Cardiff :smt026 :smt038 :smt041
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:52 pm

I think the deadline for naming the team is 24 hours before or Friday lunchtime. Hence most clubs do it Friday lunchtime. Doubt there's any rules stopping teams naming it earlier as if anything it starts fans talking about the game sooner which is good for the media covering the game and ultimately paying a large proportion of the bills.

It might help the marketing people sell a few more tickets as well which always helps.

It's also Freddie Steward's birthday today so he can celebrate knowing he's starting at the weekend.
I thought because of travelling Euro teams etc, it was done to allow time to print programmes, especially as some matches KO on Fridays etc. Also allows more time to review the opposition.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Spicer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 pm A very strong side. We really should be winning comfortably.
Does anybody know anything about why Cameron Jordan isn't in the squad? Given that we only have 1 lock playing it seems odd to leave him out unless he's injured.
Maybe we’re just trying to practice winning matches without many lineout options!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Maybe we are seeing a return to Thursday squad announcements but the timing (half 5?) not midday is strange and I for one believe that simply it was a scheduled post that was posted immediately by accident.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am Maybe we are seeing a return to Thursday squad announcements but the timing (half 5?) not midday is strange and I for one believe that simply it was a scheduled post that was posted immediately by accident.
But it was pre announced on twitter that the announcement was going to be made
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Oh was it? Apologies I haven’t seen that.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:51 am Oh was it? Apologies I haven’t seen that.
No worries, maybe they thought that by announcing a strong side early Calvisano would send their third team over
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Think Murphy is dammed either way...Put out a younger team and we scrape a win then he gets pillered. Put out a strong team and we win, people will say we should have won and it makes no diffence. A player gets injured, then he will get pelters for playing such a strong team...and finally, God forbid we come second in this game....It does not bare thinking about...

I agree with playing a strong team. We need to start to get that winning feeling and we are not winning the Leauge this season, so this is our only chance of silverware.
There is never any points for 2nd place...