Tigers v Calvisano - Teams up!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Calvisano

Post by Mark62 »

Lavanini Instagram showing on holiday. Don’t think this is historical so unlikely to be available this weekend
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Don't think the match is on the TV; however, the EPCR website claim to be showing all the matches live online (caveat being that the Tigers Pau match for some unknown reason wasn't shown!) But for those interested here is the link:

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/ ... eo/epcrtv/

Ref: Craig Evans (Wales) Assis Ref 1: Tom Spurrier (Wales) Assis Ref 2: Dai Cambourne (Wales)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 am I’ll be going.
I would if I wasn't busy with something else happening right now that requires more attention........ :smt025
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Lavanini is in Spain and Taufua has gone back to NZ (taking time out to recover from concussion issues, presumably). I expect to see a similar team to the one in Cardiff, but it would be interesting to see whether Browning and/or Steward can step up in view of our back three crisis.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

KevinR wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm Lavanini is in Spain and Taufua has gone back to NZ (taking time out to recover from concussion issues, presumably). I expect to see a similar team to the one in Cardiff, but it would be interesting to see whether Browning and/or Steward can step up in view of our back three crisis.
Taufua back for a wedding I believe. Probably pre arranged with the club as coincides with these 2 weekends.
A good coincidence the it will help with his concussion recovery
MJB

Post by MJB »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm Is there any one who's bothering to show up for this non event?? Will be the second string, few spectators and no atmosphere.
I'll be there. To paraphrase (I forget who) "I have a season ticket and I'm not afraid to use it".
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Of course I’ll be there.
Get down and support your club. Some of my mates who support City still carried on getting behind the team home and away( as many thousands of City fans did) through two awful relegations. Look at City now!

The team needs the support and, listen to Genge, he told it as it is: the players had trained well before Saints but the team just didn’t play well.
I’ve said it before: Genge should be captain( he is just like Johnno) let Youngs concentrate on being the good hooker he is and get Ford to boss the backs.
If any of the internationals want to play on Saturday, let them. Genge wants to play. Good of him.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

+1 for Genge.

Top man , cares and has heart and a conscience.

I’m right behind him. He is what we should be .
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JGT57 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 pm +1 for Genge.

Top man , cares and has heart and a conscience.

I’m right behind him. He is what we should be .
For me, he, Shazam and Ford exemplify what Tigers used to be about, guile, heart and bloodymindedness.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

For me this is one of the most important games so far - reason - we have to build confidence in our top players before the return to the premiership games. No more giving "game time" to our "squad players", no more worrying about rotation or possible injuries. It is simply a must win in style game or at the very least a must win game. Play the strongest starting 15 with the support players 16 - 23. One reason we got hammered at Saints was that it was the 1st game of the season some combinations had played together - not the only one but an important reason. These combinations need time on the field in a competitive game and Sat is a golden opportunity. I am aware of game time restrictions on our players over a season but don't want to be in a situation where we are turning out untried combinations again this season in the Premiership. Play our support/development players in the prem cup - could not give a toss about that competition
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am One reason we got hammered at Saints was that it was the 1st game of the season some combinations had played together - not the only one but an important reason.
Not sure I agree with that. The forward pack have had game time together and 4 of the 7 of our back line have been training and playing together all summer.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole thing is a bit of a mystery to be honest. A couple of Tom Youngs line outs were so squint it was literally laughable and then Kerr is told to throw over the back of the line in situations that simply don't justify the tactic. We should have been mullering Saints scrum. We needed stop Saints passing game at source. Instead we punt the ball to them and invite them to run at us. And have no line speed.

Even if Murphy is :censored: he can't be that :censored:.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am
trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am One reason we got hammered at Saints was that it was the 1st game of the season some combinations had played together - not the only one but an important reason.
Not sure I agree with that. The forward pack have had game time together and 4 of the 7 of our back line have been training and playing together all summer.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole thing is a bit of a mystery to be honest. A couple of Tom Youngs line outs were so squint it was literally laughable and then Kerr is told to throw over the back of the line in situations that simply don't justify the tactic. We should have been mullering Saints scrum. We needed stop Saints passing game at source. Instead we punt the ball to them and invite them to run at us. And have no line speed.

Even if Murphy is :censored: he can't be that :censored:
Problem is that your conclusion appears more credible as the debacle grinds on and down.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

With respect to some previous posts, I'm finding it difficult to see the point in fielding a strong side at home to Calvisano.

The various first team players have played in combination before in match situations. They are professional full-time rugby players, who train together daily.

It cannot, or at least should not, boost confidence to beat Calvisano at home. Calvisano are not in the Pro 14 and would struggle in the English Championship. They have previously won games in European competition, but only 5 from 74, with their last win being 7 years ago against a Portuguese team. Their last 5 European Challenge Cup games have seen them concede 279 points, an average of 55.8 per match. Their best recent result was at home to Cardiff, against whom they conceded a mere 38.

Thrashing Calvisano with a strong side achieves nothing, risks injury and suspensions, neglects squad players and reduces competition for places.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Systonite wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm With respect to some previous posts, I'm finding it difficult to see the point in fielding a strong side at home to Calvisano.

The various first team players have played in combination before in match situations. They are professional full-time rugby players, who train together daily.

It cannot, or at least should not, boost confidence to beat Calvisano at home. Calvisano are not in the Pro 14 and would struggle in the English Championship. They have previously won games in European competition, but only 5 from 74, with their last win being 7 years ago against a Portuguese team. Their last 5 European Challenge Cup games have seen them concede 279 points, an average of 55.8 per match. Their best recent result was at home to Cardiff, against whom they conceded a mere 38.

Thrashing Calvisano with a strong side achieves nothing, risks injury and suspensions, neglects squad players and reduces competition for places.
Yup, +1. What's Jonny May going to learn from wrong-footing a team of semi-professionals.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Systonite wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm With respect to some previous posts, I'm finding it difficult to see the point in fielding a strong side at home to Calvisano.

Do you mean the strong side that just got thumped?