Murphy coaches and relegation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Murphy coaches and relegation

Post by Traveller »

I don’t think GM says the same thing all the time. Each week there’s a new, albeit, hackneyed cliché, offering a subtle twist to the previous weeks hackneyed cliché.

This season started with “we’ve turned the corner”. After opening match defeat GM said “we’ve still got new corners to turn.” Followed by next match having to “get on the bus”, defeat; GM, “we never got off the bus”.

The Saints game? GM, we are “playing at their house”. We arrived, presumably having turned corners on our bus, to play at their house, but were so overwhelmed by our friend’s house, shiny toys and private tennis court that we sat at the side and watch as our friend hit first serve after first serve at us, and we just flinched and got bruised as the balls kept hitting us.

Calvisano cliché? Genius. Photograph, Head Coach GM circa 2005 in full flight v Calvisano. It’s ‘back to the future for Tigers.’

I gave GM the benefit of the doubt when first appointed. Claiming it made sense to appoint Phil Blake because “He lives locally, is available, knows and the club and I know him”, is hardly a ringing endorsement. But GM was new. Yet four weeks ago after another defeat, he informed the Mercury, “There are lots of different things for us to improve on. Every week we have new areas we can definitely be better at….” Genius.

I’ve supported the club for 50+ years. I no longer write in anger. I’ve surrendered. GM’s ramblings are clearly part of a broader strategy to strip away any last vestige of confidence supporters might have, by people with power at the club who want something different. It’s akin to the RAF dropping surrender leaflets over Germany in 1945. Resistance is futile. Lay down your season tickets.

If orchards can be dug up, to be replaced with housing estates, with streets named Orchard Rise and and Blossom Crescent. Welford Road can be replaced with a hotel, NCP car park, mixed housing development, and a C21st shopping and leisure experience called the K-Rumbie Complex. It will boast The Toms’ Restaurant Mezzanine, Legends Way and rugby supporters will be able to meet at Moody’s Bar buy a ‘Healey’ burger and pint of Dusty’s bitter for £16.95, and watch top class rugby on wall to wall interactive tv for free. It will make the owners more money than a professional rugby club.

And I have now doubt that when this brave new world comes to fruition, the CEO will be Mr. S Cohen and the Head of Human Resources Mr. G Glynn

It’s a plan. Today’s reality is beyond parody.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am
sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 am

I think not, it must happen now as by then it may be to late.
Are we all talking at cross purposes? The Head Coach role is clearly Borthwick's in waiting and the DoR is Murphs role.

As such, i'd argue the DoR role is responsible for long term planning and implementing that plan/vision. So far I think its fair to say that recruitment was a lot better this year (proof will out on that but we are / were generally pleased with Liebenburg, Taufau, Lavanini, Green, Reid, Taute, Viljeon, Leatigaga etc) and it's clear GM has identified weaknesses in the coaching team hence the move to Borthwick.

As such, it could be argued he agrees with much of what we are writing but is waiting for what he believes is the right man (Borthwick) rather than appointing a makeshift coach and suggests it has been a plan for many months, probably well before the summer. That would also mean we are less than 12 months into implementing GM's vision having already brought in Blake & Mele albeit I (guessing!) think that Blake is a short term solution knowing Borthwick wouldn't leave England until after the WC and defence needed urgent attention. I'd guess Blake will probably go around the time of Borthwick's appointment/start.

That would be evidence of a longer term plan being put into place and supports the feedback/update in the recent Pat Howard interview. As such, I don't think GM is the problem as DoR and he is acutely aware and putting a plan into place for the lack of quality coaching described by man on here.

If the above is resembling being accurate I only wonder why the Club don't simply put that plan (without the Borthwick detail for contractual reasons) out there through podcasts, PR, website etc as it may placate some if a long term plan is evidenced.
Very good well reasoned post and would agree with you that the silence from the club is adding to the concern amongst the supporters although this could be at Borthwicks request
Agreed. But why on earth would all parties not want to announce it, unless it's not actually a done deal or just not happening at all?

If you're struggling every week, but have a brilliant masterplan to save the day... surely you would announce it?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Why would you NOT announce it?

1). Borthwick wants it kept quiet

2). RFU proving difficult

3). It’s not Borthwick

4). They haven’t got anyone lined up

5). There is NO PLAN!
Valhalla I am coming!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

6. Christmas is coming, supporters will all get legless and forget about it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

fleabane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm Why would you NOT announce it?

1). Borthwick wants it kept quiet
Why would he?

2). RFU proving difficult
Not unheard of

3). It’s not Borthwick
Why wouldn't Borthwick have denied it?

4). They haven’t got anyone lined up
Very possible

5). There is NO PLAN!
Time to panic