Re: Murphy coaches and relegation

Post by LE18 »

Catch 22, do we have 22 players who can catch? :smt022
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm Catch 22, do we have 22 players who can catch? :smt022
Very good
I'm not cynical just experienced
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I was there in the flesh on Saturday and as good as Saints were, we were awful. We have the players, of that I have no doubt. But one way or another the coaching is failing. And this in turn comes back to the BoD. Trouble is without new ownership I am not sure we can change what's going on. Not only is this bad in the short term but is going to cloud player/coach retention/recruitment in the long term. So for me, on balance, we are screwed.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It might have been posted already on this blog so forgive me if I am retreading old ground, but GM has won just 13 out of his 41 games in charge. That is a win percentage of just over 31%!! MOC was given his marching orders after 38 games in charge win a win percentage of nearly 20% more! In fact, GM is the only Tigers coach (of the modern era) who has a win percentage less than 50%.. I really don't understand the current state of the coaching set up. I really like GM; he was a fantastic player and great representative for the club and I was excited to see him given a chance to to steer the ship in his own direction but surely this has to change?

I assume that, as has been previously mentioned, we are trying to attract one of these 'big names' who are soon to become available or are just holding out for Borthwick (but if this is to be 6 months then I fear the horse will have long since bolted!) How long can we keep hearing the same post-match interview of "I'm gutted, disappointed, we were second best out there, we don't know where it went wrong..." before something gets done?
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:05 pm How long can we keep hearing the same post-match interview of "I'm gutted, disappointed, we were second best out there, we don't know where it went wrong..." before something gets done?
If your head coach says he doesn't know where it went wrong it suggests he's out of his depth.

It's his job to identify where it went wrong and rectify it!

If you can't identify the problem you have no chance of rectifying it.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That was a paraphrase, Murphy has never said that in a match interview.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps you didn't say it but it would seem to hold true!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:05 pm How long can we keep hearing the same post-match interview of "I'm gutted, disappointed, we were second best out there, we don't know where it went wrong..." before something gets done?
My prediction is three more Prem matches. If we lose all three he will go.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm
C’mon Chiefs, Quins and Bears! Then we’ll be on the road to recovery - if it’s not too late!
Semper in excretia
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 am The club are currently offering the opportunity to 'watch the lads train' as a prize in their Christmas raffle. Can whoever wins please take some notes so we can finally answer the question of what exactly they practise all week.
Well it is the pantomime season ~ eg dumb show,Christmas entertainment based on a traditional fairytale! Yes that's Tigers.
Let us not forget the last change of coaches was after an Exeter thrashing. :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
milesanderson
Tiger Cub

Post by milesanderson »

Thoroughly agree I've been calling for GM's resignation for a year now. He doesn't instill any joy into the side and without that there's no imagination and certainly no mastering of the basics ! Running on to the ball at speed seems a forgotten art. Funny, in RC's last season, the Board fired him because we ended 4th or 5th in the league and now with Murphy and his lot we're at the bottom. RC has gone on to coach Edinburgh and is doing as expected a great job. There's this insanity because Murphy was the darling of the Tigers crowd (even though his defense was appalling) he cant be fired . He's a nightmare of a coach! Individually we have a wonderful team and yet they've lost their way , they have no inspiration and unless we have a miracle we'll be out of the Premiership at the end of the year and ask London Irish its a long wait before we're in front of the TV cameras again.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I think not, it must happen now as by then it may be to late.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 am
Are we all talking at cross purposes? The Head Coach role is clearly Borthwick's in waiting and the DoR is Murphs role.

As such, i'd argue the DoR role is responsible for long term planning and implementing that plan/vision. So far I think its fair to say that recruitment was a lot better this year (proof will out on that but we are / were generally pleased with Liebenburg, Taufau, Lavanini, Green, Reid, Taute, Viljeon, Leatigaga etc) and it's clear GM has identified weaknesses in the coaching team hence the move to Borthwick.

As such, it could be argued he agrees with much of what we are writing but is waiting for what he believes is the right man (Borthwick) rather than appointing a makeshift coach and suggests it has been a plan for many months, probably well before the summer. That would also mean we are less than 12 months into implementing GM's vision having already brought in Blake & Mele albeit I (guessing!) think that Blake is a short term solution knowing Borthwick wouldn't leave England until after the WC and defence needed urgent attention. I'd guess Blake will probably go around the time of Borthwick's appointment/start.

That would be evidence of a longer term plan being put into place and supports the feedback/update in the recent Pat Howard interview. As such, I don't think GM is the problem as DoR and he is acutely aware and putting a plan into place for the lack of quality coaching described by man on here.

If the above is resembling being accurate I only wonder why the Club don't simply put that plan (without the Borthwick detail for contractual reasons) out there through podcasts, PR, website etc as it may placate some if a long term plan is evidenced.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am
sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 am
Are we all talking at cross purposes? The Head Coach role is clearly Borthwick's in waiting and the DoR is Murphs role.

As such, i'd argue the DoR role is responsible for long term planning and implementing that plan/vision. So far I think its fair to say that recruitment was a lot better this year (proof will out on that but we are / were generally pleased with Liebenburg, Taufau, Lavanini, Green, Reid, Taute, Viljeon, Leatigaga etc) and it's clear GM has identified weaknesses in the coaching team hence the move to Borthwick.

As such, it could be argued he agrees with much of what we are writing but is waiting for what he believes is the right man (Borthwick) rather than appointing a makeshift coach and suggests it has been a plan for many months, probably well before the summer. That would also mean we are less than 12 months into implementing GM's vision having already brought in Blake & Mele albeit I (guessing!) think that Blake is a short term solution knowing Borthwick wouldn't leave England until after the WC and defence needed urgent attention. I'd guess Blake will probably go around the time of Borthwick's appointment/start.

That would be evidence of a longer term plan being put into place and supports the feedback/update in the recent Pat Howard interview. As such, I don't think GM is the problem as DoR and he is acutely aware and putting a plan into place for the lack of quality coaching described by man on here.

If the above is resembling being accurate I only wonder why the Club don't simply put that plan (without the Borthwick detail for contractual reasons) out there through podcasts, PR, website etc as it may placate some if a long term plan is evidenced.
Very good well reasoned post and would agree with you that the silence from the club is adding to the concern amongst the supporters although this could be at Borthwicks request
A2O
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I feel like the club has no impetus to keep us happy because they know most of us will stick around regardless. I've yet to have a single helpful answer from the club, staff or social media teams on any question I've asked in the last few years of turmoil and that doesn't look like changing. I've had to unfollow Tigers on everything because their nonsense blather was ruining my day.