Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy coaches and relegation

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:55 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:48 pm We've repeatedly done the football thing and sacked the coaches with no plan of how to move forward. That is one of the reasons we are in this current mess. Another knee jerk reaction will do absolutely nothing. We have experienced coaches in place, it's not like there's a bunch of new coaches running the team.

If Borthwick has agreed to join as head coach then he needs to soon and not in a few months. If not then the board need to start reviewing availability and who is suitable because the ability is there but current the structure isn't. Move Murphy into a pathway job which is where he looks competent, Mike Ford, Bakewell and Blake to all have their appointments reviewed by the new man when we identify him.

We cannot rush the next appointment or be overly sentimental as we have done with all the others it's time for an arm's length review and appointment.
I would generally agree on long term planning etc, but it's not knee jerk if it's after 18 months in charge with the team getting steadily worse, despite good recruitment over the summer. They got Mike Ford in to help, made no difference. Pat Howard was recruited to mentor, made no difference.

The arguments of "give him time" and "the squad isn't good enough" are no longer applicable. These players are good enough, and he's had time.
And when are we going to appoint a defence coach? What? We have? When does he start? What, he already has? Well who knew?
Personally I don't understand how the development team and what was basically a scratch team against Cardiff could operate a high press defence (admittedly defending a bit narrow) but the first team cannot apply it consistently. We did it well against Gloucester but it has to be a consistent pillar of our game plan particularly if we are going to keep up the Eddie Jones kick it long and play in their half approach.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I tried to get a ticket today and was glad I was unsuccessful.
Personally I think the problem is the whole club is unhappy at how it’s being run.
If I was Murphy I’d take the whole squad away for a day of frivolity then return determined to play attacking rugby that the players buy into to.
The only games we’ve played well in for the last two seasons is when we have run the ball back at teams.
What is there to lose now?
We showed against Gloucester that when we build phases we can beat teams.
TV, also against Gloucester, showed a clever mix of very good kick chase and running back.
Coaches should by now know our scrum halves’ kicking game is inadequate and with May, Holmes, TV and Olowofela we have players with pace to scare any defence.
Take Tom Youngs to one side and say thanks for leading the team but just concentrate on your game. Ford to captain with Genge as pack leader.
Anyone doesn’t buy into it: tough.
But, I am only a loyal supporter for 50 years what do I know.
Oh yes: Les Cusworth, thank goodness, has expressed how embarrassing our performance have become!
For now I am ready for getting behind the team at Welford Road when we have to risk playing the internationals and the following week. How else can we get some form back?
trevb

Post by trevb »

To put it simply, I've fed up watching garbage. Where the blame lies, we've all got an opion but I cannot stand watching this garbage week after week. We seem to be buying second rate players and getting a second rate team. We have a core of quality, yes, but little backing them up. ur tactics, well what tactics thesedays. It's dreadful. If we can't win our own set pieces we're stuffed
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:55 pm
The only games we’ve played well in for the last two seasons is when we have run the ball back at teams.
What is there to lose now?
We showed against Gloucester that when we build phases we can beat teams.
TV, also against Gloucester, showed a clever mix of very good kick chase and running back.
Coaches should by now know our scrum halves’ kicking game is inadequate and with May, Holmes, TV and Olowofela we have players with pace to scare any defence.
Take Tom Youngs to one side and say thanks for leading the team but just concentrate on your game. Ford to captain with Genge as pack leader.
Anyone doesn’t buy into it: tough.
I like it. I don't comment often, but after all the posts I've read since yesterday, I like this one. Could it be this simple. Why not. We know those mentioned are talented and capable players, and perhaps those not mentioned need a reminder of where they are. At the moment nothing seems to be happening, and what bothers me is that some of those talented players won't want to stay at Welford Road.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Mentioned in the match report in todays Telegraph that Borthwick has to serve a six month notice from RFU!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I really don't get the consistent criticism of Ben Kay on here. Especially as it doesn't seem to extend to Rory Underwood as well. He's a Non-Executive Director. He's not part of the day to day management of the club. If you're disgruntled with decisions (which youveevery right to be) then direct your ire at the CEO and the Execs.

There also seems to be done belittling of media jobs like Ben's. Is think it very useful indeed to have someone from the club involved with the major broadcast partner for the domestic game.
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Two years ago Saints sack Jim Mallinder and this very forum some (arrogantly it could be said), were cherry picking which Saints stars they would like at Welford Road.
Saints already had Sam Vesty and then got the signature of Chris Boyd.
A few month later the Tigers board we’re looking for a world class coach, and unfairly to club and player chose ex world class full back, Geordan Murphy.
Two years later Saints are playing the most attractive rugby in Europe, a large part down to Vesty.
The Tigers board and decision making is dragging Tigers into The Championship.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am If you're disgruntled with decisions (which you've every right to be) then direct your ire at the CEO and the Execs.
Indeed, I Tweeted Cohen, not holding my breath.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:37 am Two years ago Saints sack Jim Mallinder and this very forum some (arrogantly it could be said), were cherry picking which Saints stars they would like at Welford Road.
Saints already had Sam Vesty and then got the signature of Chris Boyd.
A few month later the Tigers board we’re looking for a world class coach, and unfairly to club and player chose ex world class full back, Geordan Murphy.
Two years later Saints are playing the most attractive rugby in Europe, a large part down to Vesty.
The Tigers board and decision making is dragging Tigers into The Championship.
Just shows that making the right appointments can reinvigorate a club and turn their fortunes around. Saints identified they had a problem and sorted themselves out.

Our predicament is the polar opposite in that our appointments seem to have nosedived Tigers off a cliff. Now we’re seemingly stuck with no one wanting to take any of the blame or make any changes.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

I get the fact that Murph was a club legend, a real nice guy and he undoubtedly loves the club. I'm sure that he is also trying his best to sort out a mess that is not all of his own making, however i think it is time for him to offer his resignation for the good of the club that he has been a massive part of for so many years. I like many on this forum don't like all this talk of "sacking the coach" but we have fallen so far in the last couple of years that the rebuilding could take years.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am I really don't get the consistent criticism of Ben Kay on here. Especially as it doesn't seem to extend to Rory Underwood as well. He's a Non-Executive Director. He's not part of the day to day management of the club. If you're disgruntled with decisions (which youveevery right to be) then direct your ire at the CEO and the Execs.

There also seems to be done belittling of media jobs like Ben's. Is think it very useful indeed to have someone from the club involved with the major broadcast partner for the domestic game.
Well as you will see in my previous posts, I for one have criticised all the members of the Rugby Board. The fact that you seem to be unaware of is that the Rugby Board is responsible for Rugby not the day to day management of the club.

How is it useful for someone who sits on the Rugby Board to have the temerity to critique Tigers rugby performances on TV as if its got didly squat to do with him when he is responsible together with his fellow Rugby Board members for rugby?????

Furthermore despite his critiques of Tigers performances on and off the pitch over the last 5 season on BT Sport and before the rugby has still not improved in fact its got worse each year.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

newport tiger wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 am I get the fact that Murph was a club legend, a real nice guy and he undoubtedly loves the club. I'm sure that he is also trying his best to sort out a mess that is not all of his own making, however i think it is time for him to offer his resignation for the good of the club that he has been a massive part of for so many years. I like many on this forum don't like all this talk of "sacking the coach" but we have fallen so far in the last couple of years that the rebuilding could take years.
I remember Cockers saying repeatedly that no one at Tigers was bigger than the club and indeed he was subsequently sacked. However, when it comes to Murphy its becoming increasingly clear the Board are in some kamakazi pact with him to drive our great club into oblivion. The board must finally act swiftly and decisively to appoint a world class qualified and experienced head coach.

And before anyone asks, I do not know who or who may not be available that is the responsibility of the board !
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

It has been commented on in a few match threads that at half time the Tiger’s team seem to be switched off and the coaches wandering about rather than focussed and getting sections of players together to analyse and enthuse. Is there really no positive coaching and leadership going on at half time or is it a trick of the timing of the shot and position of the camera?
We also hear that the coaching team is experience = been doing it for a long time. How many have been in a coaching team that have won championship/premiership title. Experienced but not good enough to be winning coaches?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Offside wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:29 am It has been commented on in a few match threads that at half time the Tiger’s team seem to be switched off and the coaches wandering about rather than focussed and getting sections of players together to analyse and enthuse. Is there really no positive coaching and leadership going on at half time or is it a trick of the timing of the shot and position of the camera?
We also hear that the coaching team is experience = been doing it for a long time. How many have been in a coaching team that have won championship/premiership title. Experienced but not good enough to be winning coaches?
Whilst the Ex Tiger coaches were playing for a long time they certainly have not been coaching for a long time
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Regretfully I have come to the conclusion that it will be very difficult for us to escape relegation this year. Looking at the next three premiership fixtures we could easily be one win from eight games by xmas and there would be no way back from that with the England players away for the six nations.
If we do not make a coaching change NOW I’m afraid it will be too late and if we do not make a change you can only conclude that either the board don’t care or they cannot see what is blatantly obvious :smt013
A2O