Tigers fans walk away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers fans walk away

Post by Tiglon »

They are average attendances, so it doesn't really matter how many games. However, you would expect a home semi to be a sellout so in seasons when tigers had a home semi the average might be slightly higher.

The point is, attendances are consistent and it's probable that this season will be around 21 again
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Well it does entirely matter or you aren't comparing eggs with eggs. Typically attendances grow during the season, with spikes at Christmas and Saints usually. So the below could be a fairly reasonable way to get to 21k average

After 2 games our average would be 18,250. This would say nothing about our likely average attendance during the season.

If you want to make points about attendances compare like for like, so compare the first two prem games with the same last season.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm Well it does entirely matter or you aren't comparing eggs with eggs. Typically attendances grow during the season, with spikes at Christmas and Saints usually. So the below could be a fairly reasonable way to get to 21k average

After 2 games our average would be 18,250. This would say nothing about our likely average attendance during the season.

If you want to make points about attendances compare like for like, so compare the first two prem games with the same last season.
Which is above the capacity of most other premiership clubs and I would imagine only Brizzle could compete with that average
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bristol still struggling to get good numbers regularly though, however if they continue to get the wins then the casual spectators will flow through the gates.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm Well it does entirely matter or you aren't comparing eggs with eggs. Typically attendances grow during the season, with spikes at Christmas and Saints usually. So the below could be a fairly reasonable way to get to 21k average

My first post specifically did not compare a full season against the first two games of this, because that would not be a true comparison.

12 home games instead of 11 isn't going to make a big difference when looking at the average, unless you want to be pedantic. Add a 12th game with 26,000 attendance onto your example and you get 21,583 instead of 21,181.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:51 pm Bristol still struggling to get good numbers regularly though, however if they continue to get the wins then the casual spectators will flow through the gates.
And the Bristol v Bath game is effectively a home game for Bath supporters, just 10 minutes on a train.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If Bristol do continue to play good rugby and get results then I can see their attendances staying high. There's no lack of interest in rugby around there.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I often don't know if I'll be available to attend a game until a day or so before, due to work/family commitments.

I've called twice this season on a Friday (the first time being for the Saints game in the "meaningless" Cup) and even for that effective pre season friendly they wanted to charge me £28 to stand!!!

Just a few days before the same tickets were £20. This is the new Tigers "Easy Jet" policy, which results in me no longer attending games at short notice, even when there are thousands of tickets available.

Madness?! I think so and told the manager of the ticket office just that, pointing out that I've been going to Welford Rd for 40 years and now feel completely excluded. To say he didn't give a stuff would be an under statement.

Hence my lack of enthusiasm thus far this season and lack of posts on the forum etc....I just feel completely at odds with the Club for now.
Soggypitch
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am I often don't know if I'll be available to attend a game until a day or so before, due to work/family commitments.

I've called twice this season on a Friday (the first time being for the Saints game in the "meaningless" Cup) and even for that effective pre season friendly they wanted to charge me £28 to stand!!!

Just a few days before the same tickets were £20. This is the new Tigers "Easy Jet" policy, which results in me no longer attending games at short notice, even when there are thousands of tickets available.

Madness?! I think so and told the manager of the ticket office just that, pointing out that I've been going to Welford Rd for 40 years and now feel completely excluded. To say he didn't give a stuff would be an under statement.

Hence my lack of enthusiasm thus far this season and lack of posts on the forum etc....I just feel completely at odds with the Club for now.
Your enjoyment of the game is swayed by the £8 difference in a ticket?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I sympathise with the manager of the ticket office. I imagine it's not a lot of fun being confronted by an angry man who feels personally victimised by a ticket pricing strategy.

All part of today's victim culture. Too many people take any situation they don't like as a personal attack on them.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I wasn’t aware of this new ‘EasyJet’ policy and it does seem to be unfair and short sighted.
Surely a policy a long the lines of Westend/Time Square ticket offices would be better to offer reduced price tickets to get extra people through the door, for extra revenue, rather than scaring them off.
£28 for a standing ticket does seem extreme.

As for the ticket office manager, been there got the T shirt, if that is the policy there is nothing the guy on the phone can do about it, and he will know that giving minimal response is the best way
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am
£28 for a standing ticket does seem extreme
Indeed it does, and I quite understand Soggypitch's comments, although I can't make comparisons with prices at other Premiership grounds.
However, for Toulouse's Champions' Cup match against Montpellier next weekend, the seat prices (sadly, no terrace!) range from 18€ to a whopping 69€!

As an aside, I hope there'll be plenty of Tigers' fans at the Gardens this afternoon (who knows the price of a terrace ticket there?)
Semper in excretia
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The ticket price should be the ticket price, regardless when purchased with the possible exception of one bought many weeks in advance or as part of a package in a published promotion. Last minute discounts only upset those who purchased earlier and encourage people leaving things to the last minute. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just like any other business, Tigers will do what they feel is the right way to maximise revenue. As someone who supports the club, I have no problem with this. In fact, I would be disappointed if the club didn't think about revenue management.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:43 pm As someone who supports the club, I have no problem with this. In fact, I would be disappointed if the club didn't think about revenue management.
Indeed, I too had a moan at someone in the ticket office.

I only had a half season ticket last year, come renewal time, I got nothing. Apparently they only send out renewals for full season ticket holders which I pointed out was a shocking lack of initiative.