Alun Wyn Jones named as Sports Personality 2019 contender

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Alun Wyn Jones named as Sports Personality 2019 contender

Post by Robespierre »

mol2 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:41 pm I don't know about wining that vote but he's the sort of player and on the field leader that Tigers have very much missed since Corry retired and before that Johnno.

You don't play professional sport to be liked by the opposition fans, but you may win their grudging admiration.
Spot on, mol2.

AWJ is a fine player and a great leader, and nomination for this award is just recognition of his contribution to Welsh rugby and the Lions.
Well deserved - no complaints from me.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Take a couple of minutes to read Mick Cleary's article on AWJ:

Alun Wyn Jones' nomination for SPOTY award a welcome rarity – Wales captain is a personality who prefers the shadows

MICK CLEARYRUGBY UNION CORRESPONDENT

In an era when celebrity is king, how heartening it was to see Alun Wyn Jones on the shortlist for BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Alun Wyn is the antidote to ego, a personality by dint of proper, wholesome virtues – single-mindedness, humanity, empathy, defined by grit as well as graft in equal measure, a man for the shadows while others bask in the spotlight. If there were to be a category for spiritual totems at the award ceremony in Aberdeen next month, then the Wales captain would be a shoo-in. Perhaps they should rebrand the trophy: The Selfless One.
Wales and Alun Wyn are a symbiotic triumph, punching above their weight, defying the odds and only beaten when the last gasp of effort has been squeezed from scorched lungs. That much was true to the end in Japan, where it took a 76th-minute penalty from South Africa fly-half Handre Pollard to end the spirited resistance of Jones’s team in the World Cup semi-final, a side who had been ravaged by injury but who were still swinging, still battling, as the final whistle neared in Yokohama.
It was only six days later in the same stadium that we came to appreciate the measure of Wales’s performance. The Springboks were masters of the moment against England for all manner of reasons, yet they had been made to labour against Wales.
It is rare in a team sport for an individual to make the SPOTY shortlist. Jonny Wilkinson, for obvious glory-snatching reasons, managed it in 2003 but there have been precious few others.
Jones himself would never willingly seek the limelight. There have been plenty of examples of his straightforward, no-airs-and-graces nature, from his sincere attention to pre-match mascots to his insistence on shaking hands at Wales’s last World Cup press conference with every journalist who had covered the Wales beat during the tournament. Alun Wyn certainly does not agree with all, perhaps not even much, of what is written, but he respects the fact that people have a job to do.
The tributes paid to Warren Gatland in recent weeks have been merited, given the head coach’s success and length of tenure. But he had a reliable lieutenant riding shotgun. Alun Wyn was the only survivor from the first team that Gatland ever sent into battle, in the opening match of the 2008 Six Nations Championship against England, the Gatland-Jones double act having its first taste of success with Wales’s first win (26-19) at Twickenham in 20 years.
There is always a danger of eulogising sportsmen and women when they get nominated as if their souls were blemish-free. Two years after that maiden victory for the pair at Twickenham, Gatland let rip at Jones after he had “cost us victory” against England having been shown the yellow card for tripping Dylan Hartley, leading to a spell in the sin-bin for the Ospreys lock during which England scored 17 points. It is not often that a coach singles out a player for public rebuke, but Gatland did and Jones later thanked him for it, welcoming the fact that it showed a “southern hemisphere cutting edge” from the New Zealander, something that Wales had been lacking.
The fact that this year’s Grand Slam was their third under Gatland is no fluke. Hard-nosed warriors are at the heart of those achievements.
All these paeans to Alun Wyn for being a bloke’s bloke would mean little if he did not deliver first and foremost as a player. Close as the relationship between coach and player has been, neither of them does sentiment, as Gatland showed when dropping Brian O’Driscoll for the series-defining third Lions Test against Australia in 2013.
At 34, Jones the player continues to deliver, hitting rucks, winning line-outs, topping tackles. That is why he has made the SPOTY shortlist. Your head will tell you the other contenders have accomplished magnificent things. Wales, after all, only finished fourth in the World Cup. But if the heart is allowed a vote, then Alun Wyn Jones it is.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 am AWJ is a fine player and a great leader, and nomination for this award is just recognition of his contribution to Welsh rugby and the Lions.
Well deserved - no complaints from me.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:03 pm Interesting, very much divides opinion.
Not a fans favourite unless you’re Welsh, but the pundits all rave about him.
Not flashy, but old school player who does the basics well
I agree with all you say, I rate him, but SPOTY? or is it just because he is probably retiring from international rugby at least?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Personally I would vote for Lewis Hamilton. 6 world titles for christ sake. But then he has already won it once before.
After that I would like to see either Stokes or one of the ladies win it.

I reckon AWJ is only there as they needed someone who wasn't English and Geraint Thomas didn't win the TDF....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 am
drc_007 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm Does he have a personality?
Far more than most players of any sport that get interviewed
I personally think he is a good guy, I have watched and listened to his interviews and think he comes over well, I am always extremely happy if he is not playing when Wales play England
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:08 pm Personally I would vote for Lewis Hamilton. 6 world titles for christ sake. But then he has already won it once before.
After that I would like to see either Stokes or one of the ladies win it.

I reckon AWJ is only there as they needed someone who wasn't English and Geraint Thomas didn't win the TDF....
I'd vote for Hamilton's car before him...& Nigel Wray.
What Dina Asher Smith has done is so beyond the others, means she should win.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm
I'd vote for Hamilton's car before him...& Nigel Wray.
😂
Semper in excretia