Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It would be interesting to know who young Mr Ford would like at 12, a NZ style 2nd 5/8th or a bruiser, I think that needs solving because it impacts the rest of the backline.
Be good for Taute to play for the A team tonight , might be better.
Hopefully the Cardiff display will put some resolve in the whole squad, Taufua is going to be very important going forward, so we need to ensure he is properly fit, play this weekend then 2 off again?
I think Tomas v the more excitable saints could be rather entertaining.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

I’m personally looking forward to this match. To me this is where the season really starts. The players available make it the first match where there’s no excuses about who’s available and after the game I think we will be a lot clearer as to where we can be expected to finish this season. A win away at Saints and top 6 will be a very realistic target and a top four spot becomes an ambition again. A good performance in a close defeat and again we can probably be positive going forward. However, a good hiding will throw this forum into meltdown and a relegation dogfight will be our season.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mayocaz wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 am I’m personally looking forward to this match. To me this is where the season really starts. The players available make it the first match where there’s no excuses about who’s available and after the game I think we will be a lot clearer as to where we can be expected to finish this season. A win away at Saints and top 6 will be a very realistic target and a top four spot becomes an ambition again. A good performance in a close defeat and again we can probably be positive going forward. However, a good hiding will throw this forum into meltdown and a relegation dogfight will be our season.
In general I might agree, but I have the feeling we are due some changes of order this year. I see Wasps, Wuss, Quins and Bath as all potential droppers in the bottom half, Sale and Stains as risers, Briz as good early season and us as poor early season, both reversing in the second half. Not sure all is well at Chiefs, it is a crunch season for Baxter in Europe so may well trim in the Prem, especially if Sarries rise up the table alternating their two international sides :smt004 :smt025
Thus, a close loss or even a win at FG I would see as a big ++++.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 am
Mayocaz wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 am I’m personally looking forward to this match. To me this is where the season really starts. The players available make it the first match where there’s no excuses about who’s available and after the game I think we will be a lot clearer as to where we can be expected to finish this season. A win away at Saints and top 6 will be a very realistic target and a top four spot becomes an ambition again. A good performance in a close defeat and again we can probably be positive going forward. However, a good hiding will throw this forum into meltdown and a relegation dogfight will be our season.
In general I might agree, but I have the feeling we are due some changes of order this year. I see Wasps, Wuss, Quins and Bath as all potential droppers in the bottom half, Sale and Stains as risers, Briz as good early season and us as poor early season, both reversing in the second half. Not sure all is well at Chiefs, it is a crunch season for Baxter in Europe so may well trim in the Prem, especially if Sarries rise up the table alternating their two international sides :smt004 :smt025
Thus, a close loss or even a win at FG I would see as a big ++++.
I agree totally especially regarding other sides and their woes.
Sale will loose a couple of the Du Preez brothers in the new year, and considering how awful and ill disciplined La Rochelle were they were tactically naive. With De Jäger a potential long term absentee, hence their interest in the `Fijian, I’m not sure they will be all everyone is saying.
As you say something is not quite right at chiefs, whether the introduction of of Hogg and a couple of South Africans has caused ripples who knows.
We should not get thumped on Saturday, if we do even me at my most positive, will be calling for heads to roll.
A full strength side should easily be able to stand toe to toe with Saints. They are not great at set piece and pressure needs putting on their half backs.
A losing bonus point is the minimum for me
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:27 pm I’d 100% have Taute and Tuilagi as the centre partnership, should be very strong defensively and will be able to get us on the front foot.

Hardwick probably has done enough to get a bench spot over Reid with Worth in the 23 shirt. Would be tempted to start with Reffell with a strong bench including Leatigaga, Spencer and Thompson.
100% :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hardwick hasn't done anywhere near enough to deny Costelow more of an opportunity, in my opinion.
Likewise Worth hasn't done enough to deny Steward.
White hasn't done enough to deny Simmons and Law etc.
I want to see all of these young lads get good opportunities alongside seniors and the correct quality will shine through to help lift Tigers to the next level, which hasn't happened yet in my opinion.
I watched Saints a few weeks back Painter was put into orbit between his own and the opposition, Tigers should match their strongest loose head scrummager against him even if that means moving Leatigaga to loose head.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

This really is a one off game, sandwiched between the European games. We’ve rested our internationals and I’m sure they’ll probably not play in the double header against Calvisano. So it really is this one game I hope they’re targeting. No doubt as a derby anything can happen on the day. Saints scrum got destroyed by Bath so at least that’s a starting point.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If May isn't fit enough, Veainu on the wing and Worth at 15. Thompstone looks a bit off the pace these days after all the injury problems.

Northampton have won most have their games so far but have also shown weaknesses - conceded an average of more than 20 points per game in the Premiership and Europe this season. There's an opportunity to get something from this game, but the defence will have to be strong.

Agree with Mayocaz that this game should give us the best indication so far of what level our team is at.

Also with BFG, the next group of youngsters look more talented than the last and, if ready, shouldn't be held back. Hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for them this season if they continue to impress on loan and when the first team are rested.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm If May isn't fit enough, Veainu on the wing and Worth at 15. Thompstone looks a bit off the pace these days after all the injury problems.

Northampton have won most have their games so far but have also shown weaknesses - conceded an average of more than 20 points per game in the Premiership and Europe this season. There's an opportunity to get something from this game, but the defence will have to be strong.

Agree with Mayocaz that this game should give us the best indication so far of what level our team is at.

Also with BFG, the next group of youngsters look more talented than the last and, if ready, shouldn't be held back. Hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for them this season if they continue to impress on loan and when the first team are rested.
Agree about the next crop of youngsters, but imo Calvisano at home would be a better game to play them, if they’re registered for Europe of course
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm If May isn't fit enough, Veainu on the wing and Worth at 15. Thompstone looks a bit off the pace these days after all the injury problems.

Agree about the next crop of youngsters, but imo Calvisano at home would be a better game to play them, if they’re registered for Europe of course
Absolutely, they have to earn the chance and prove they're good enough. In games like this you play the players who are best today, not the ones who might be best in 3 years.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mayocaz, new to the forum, seems a very shrewd person, welcome, I agree with your analysis, we have to watch out for Saints speed, they have some very quick backs but no reason why we can't repeat the Twickenham result with the players we have available!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't necessarily disagree with BFG's assessment of the long term prospect of some of our youngsters but in my opinion White at present is ahead of the slightly older Simmons and the younger Laws, Hardwick- Costello is harder to judge, personally I think Hardwicks future may be as a 12 and Costello a 10, hopefully we will be able to sign young Sam on a long term contract to keep in in England I would hate to lose him to a Welsh province as he seeks to further his international career. Freddie Steward is a fine player and wonderful prospect but at this stage he is not better than George Worth.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:40 pm I don't necessarily disagree with BFG's assessment of the long term prospect of some of our youngsters but in my opinion White at present is ahead of the slightly older Simmons and the younger Laws, Hardwick- Costello is harder to judge, personally I think Hardwicks future may be as a 12 and Costello a 10, hopefully we will be able to sign young Sam on a long term contract to keep in in England I would hate to lose him to a Welsh province as he seeks to further his international career. Freddie Steward is a fine player and wonderful prospect but at this stage he is not better than George Worth.

Leicester desperately need to get back to the days of intensity, pace and aggression around that 9 area.
Leicester 9's used to deliver for their forwards.
These days the table has turned and the forwards are expected to deliver for the 9.
It's being done all wrong and is so slow it's unreal to watch compared to what I used to watch at Leicester.
No-one ever slowly controlled a game of rugby how Leicester seem to want to do it these days, apart from bullies and the Prem is far too competitive for this, just in my opinion.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Simmons is being game-time tonight, let’s see how he goes. Perhaps in the very near future, maybe during the Six Nations, he and White should be rotated regularly from start to bench and vice versa.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

From what I’ve read people have commented that both Lenny and White have moved the ball away quicker in the last couple of games. Maybe our new scrum half coach is having an impact.

I am still convinced that speed of ball does rely on the ball being presented properly and the next phase runners being in place quickly enough