Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm
fentiger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm Didn't realise he had even been cited... just seen Harry Wells banned for two weeks. It just gets better :smt017
If he had to miss two weeks then these two weeks are the best to miss. Give Cam Jordan a go instead.
Tbh we should be able to use Sam Lewis there too if necessary 6ft 5 and 17 and a half stone
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm
fentiger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm Didn't realise he had even been cited... just seen Harry Wells banned for two weeks. It just gets better :smt017
If he had to miss two weeks then these two weeks are the best to miss. Give Cam Jordan a go instead.
Tbh we should be able to use Sam Lewis there too if necessary 6ft 5 and 17 and a half stone
Agreed, both. Just icing on the cake though after such a shambolic performance!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:49 pm
fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm Who would you rather have ??
Olafewla 10 stone or Nayaravoro 20 stone ? Sums up half the Tigers these days. Especially the blinking locks and back row, bar Thompson.
Back in the long distant past, the only lightweight was Les flipping Cusworth. Varndell at least scored tries for fun.
Now our recent squads are mainly Championship material with a number of soon to be ex Internationals and positively about a dozen that would have featured in the halycon days.
I really don't think we can blame it on a lack of power in the forwards this season. Saints had plenty of small players against us and it wasn't a problem for them.
Hang on a minute. I'm not disagreeing with all you say but the memory is selective I think. Neither Underwood was any more than slightly built. To quote good old Les as the only tiddler is going back to another world in Rugby where backs were nearly always slightly built. Would Jeremy Guscott even get in a Bath side nowadays? Even the more muscular types like Dodge were nothing compared to what we are seeing now. My final point is that Owelafela, sadly, lacks the guts to get stuck in even if he muscles up.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

tigerssteve wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 am
Olafewla 10 stone or Nayaravoro 20 stone ? Sums up half the Tigers these days. Especially the blinking locks and back row, bar Thompson.
Back in the long distant past, the only lightweight was Les flipping Cusworth. Varndell at least scored tries for fun.
Now our recent squads are mainly Championship material with a number of soon to be ex Internationals and positively about a dozen that would have featured in the halycon days.
I really don't think we can blame it on a lack of power in the forwards this season. Saints had plenty of small players against us and it wasn't a problem for them.
Hang on a minute. I'm not disagreeing with all you say but the memory is selective I think. Neither Underwood was any more than slightly built. To quote good old Les as the only tiddler is going back to another world in Rugby where backs were nearly always slightly built. Would Jeremy Guscott even get in a Bath side nowadays? Even the more muscular types like Dodge were nothing compared to what we are seeing now. My final point is that Owelafela, sadly, lacks the guts to get stuck in even if he muscles up.
Agree (and have posted before) that Olowofela is too lightweight. All I'm saying is that isn't the reason for the poor performance against Saints. Both teams had players of huge power and players of slighter build and plenty of pace. Saints used theirs a lot better.

Olowofela didn't even play.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Agree it’s not the players themselves it’s how Saints use them to full effect and we don’t.

Although I still believe Olowefela is a good player.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

tigerssteve wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 am
Tony was slight but I don’t think the same could be said for Rory