Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by ABClub »

With back to back wins in Europe we move onto a vital game in the scheme of the season. With only 5 Premiership games before the 6 Nations window it's vital we start picking up points.

The game has come at an interesting point too. Saints are coming off two Champions Cup wins but have a double header against Leinster after this game. They have close to their full squad available as well so will be pretty much full strength.

- I've heard May is still not sprinting due to his hamstring injury but Murphy said he was training leading up to this weekend.
- Taufua and Veainu were 50/50 for this week so will hopefully be available.
- Bateman is out until December.
- Olowofela hasn't featured since hobbling off against Irish a fortnight ago. I've not heard anything on that knock.
- Liebenberg has been nursing an ankle injury, I'm unsure if he's training again yet.

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Green
6.Kalamafoni
7.Thompson
8.Taufua

9.Youngs
10.Ford

11.May/Thompstone
12.Reid
13.Tuilagi
14.Holmes
15.Veainu

16.Kerr
17.Gigena
18.Leatigaga
19.Spencer
20.Reffell
21.White
22.Hardwick
23.Worth

The bench backs are hard to call. Taute might squeeze out Hardwick or Worth but I hope they are rewarded for yesterdays performance. Taute is also short of game time for a midlands derby. Given that Saints have Hutchinson, Francis, Dingwall and Proctor to choose from in the centre we might see Taute preferred for his experience and defence though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints away - Saturday 30th November

Post by Scott1 »

Gulp! Be surprised if we get zero points ,Saints by 11-20
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’d 100% have Taute and Tuilagi as the centre partnership, should be very strong defensively and will be able to get us on the front foot.

Hardwick probably has done enough to get a bench spot over Reid with Worth in the 23 shirt. Would be tempted to start with Reffell with a strong bench including Leatigaga, Spencer and Thompson.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I think our fringe defence looks excellent with Reffell at 7. He reads the breakdown better than any in the squad and leads the line-speed. I've said it a few times but he's reminiscent of Salvi in that regard.

Thompson however uses his pace well defending wider out, which will be very important with how well Saints attack the 13 channel. Guy also had a fantastic game yesterday.

6.Wood 7.Ludlam 8.Harrison is a very balanced back row who are playing well this season. I'd go for the experience of Kalamafoni, Thompson and Taufua to start against them.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We can go into this game with full guns blazing knowing that we can rotate, build and recover against Calvisiano whereas Saints against Leinster might not affect selection it could certainly affect mentality.

We can beat them and with our strongest team available we should.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Genge
Youngs
Cole
Lavanini
Green
Kalamafoni
Reffell
Taufua
Youngs
Ford
Thompstone
Reid
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

With a bench of
Kerr, Gigena, Leatigaga, Spencer, Thompson, Simmons, Hardwick, Taute
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm Gulp! Be surprised if we get zero points ,Saints by 11-20
What is wrong with that team? It’s as close to full strength as we can field albeit some subjectivity comes into it if you like specific players.

Not sure what you expect us to pick and/or why you are so convinced a team that only just beat Benetton would hammer us so convincingly.

It’s not a guaranteed win for Tigers by any stretch but if you aren’t going to back that XV you may as well give up all hope. I’d say that if we play reasonably it’s a one score game either way with Saints favourites being at home

At the risk of being cynical I do wonder if some on here are simply trolls and enjoy the wind up
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm Gulp! Be surprised if we get zero points ,Saints by 11-20
What is wrong with that team? It’s as close to full strength as we can field albeit some subjectivity comes into it if you like specific players.

Not sure what you expect us to pick and/or why you are so convinced a team that only just beat Benetton would hammer us so convincingly.

It’s not a guaranteed win for Tigers by any stretch but if you aren’t going to back that XV you may as well give up all hope. I’d say that if we play reasonably it’s a one score game either way with Saints favourites being at home

At the risk of being cynical I do wonder if some on here are simply trolls and enjoy the wind up
Im not worried about our team DD,it's our coaching team that terrifies me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Reinach is a dangerous player for Saints who exploits and takes advantage of any open space. He may be a doubt as he was subbed having taken an injury to his right ankle.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

For me Worth has done enough to get the starting spot at 15, good under the high ball and solid in defence and a good rugby brain. Put Veainu on the wing and Thompstone on the bench.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

15. George Worth
14. Telusa Veaniu
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Noel Reid
11. Jonah Holmes
10. George Ford
9. Ben Youngs
1. Ellis Genge
2. Jake Kerr
3. Nephi Leitigaga
4. Calum Green
5. Tomas Lavanini
6. Sione Kalamafoni
7. Guy Thompson
8. Jordan Taufau

16. Tom Youngs
17. Facundo Gigena
18. Dan Cole
19. Will Spencer
20. Tommy Reffell
21. Ben White
22. Tom Hardwick
23. Jaco Taute
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A far bigger challenge than Pau 3rds or Cardiff.

Hoping to be surprised again but doubt it even with our England players back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Instruct Hardwick to not kick any ball out of hand,my God!!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Northampton were playing really well even without Reinach, we need to suffocate their breakdown and defend similar to Cardiff by launching on the outside to close off the attack, however we have to be more clinical plus Northampton’s execution and variation is of a higher standard than the Blues.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm looking forward to it, our defence looks a lot better than last year and I genuinely think GF knows more about attacking plays than Murphy does so we're a different team with our main man pulling the strings. Hopefully Taufua has passed his concussion protocols for that extra bit of oomph at the gain line.