European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm Just popped to say Hi to all the Naysayers and Doommongers. :smt025 :smt025 :smt025
Hi! :smt006
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

happywomble wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:22 pm It was a very good performance. To stay in touch from the 1st half and then gradually exert pressure during the second and then actually win it. I went from happy for a losing bonus point to very happy for a draw and then to win it with the last kick of the game!!! :smt035 :smt035 :smt035

Lewis looked good. Agree a bit more bulk will do him wonders. Heyes had a bit of an off game but Genge really went well. Wells and Lavinini both had very good games. Forsyth and Viljoen both good, Worth good, really no complaints all round.

Most impressive was the defence and Thompsons work over the ball. :smt038 :smt038
Lewis looks to have spent some time in the gym already, the shirt was no longer baggy on the arms like it was when he has played previously. The experience playing for Nottingham seems to be helping him as well. Seemed to be in the right place and got stuck in. Streaking off the side of the scrum to sack the scrum half was reminiscent of Crofty. He keeps developing like he has been and he'll be a very handy player for us in the coming years.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm Just popped to say Hi to all the Naysayers and Doommongers. :smt025 :smt025 :smt025
:smt006
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unbelievable tackle from Costelow!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

I suppose the next question is how many have booked a starting place for next weekends game against the Saints.

For me:
Genge - yup, obviously
Kerr - Yes
Heyes - Nope
Lavanini - Yup
Well - Good but with our second row strength poss bench
Lewis - Actually depends on other fitness
Thompson - Yup
Coglan - Nicely finished try but prob not enough dynamism in the loose
Simmons - Didnt let the side down
Hardwick - Yes but obvs will be second fiddle to Ford
Forsyth - Not done enough to dislodge Manu/Reid/Taute
Viljoen - Same
Thomas - Again, didnt let side down but prob not enough for Saints
Worth - Good showing - starting unless Veainu is fit

Edit - I mean starting or on the bench!!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

happywomble wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 pm I suppose the next question is how many have booked a starting place for next weekends game against the Saints.

For me:
Genge - yup, obviously
Kerr - Yes
Heyes - Nope
Lavanini - Yup
Thompson - Yup
Viljoen - Same

why did you comment on Simmons and not White who started and captained?
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 pm
happywomble wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 pm I suppose the next question is how many have booked a starting place for next weekends game against the Saints.

For me:
Genge - yup, obviously
Kerr - Yes
Heyes - Nope
Lavanini - Yup
Thompson - Yup
Viljoen - Same

why did you comment on Simmons and not White who started and captained?
Because I have had a cider or two and got the names mixed up!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Well deserved victory on the basis the ref was utterly clueless.
Hardwicks kicking from hand at times was mindless.
Worth looks a quality in the air 15, Genge looks absolutely on fire.
& a big up for White, he looks a real prospect when he gets on with the game, like YBY, pretty average when it slows down.
Big Tomas is some unit & Lewis is coming along nicely, playing games either with us of Notts is what he needs.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

"It was a very good performance. To stay in touch from the 1st half and then gradually exert pressure during the second and then actually win it. I went from happy for a losing bonus point to very happy for a draw and then to win it with the last kick of the game!!! :smt035 :smt035 :smt035 "....

You took the words out of my mouth; I was back in the O'Level physics lab looking into an oscillator and wondering what happens next. Say it very quietly but that, despite the youth on show, was like a performance from the experienced Tigers of old. Somewhat scruffy, definitely ugly, always at them, working for each other, tactically astute, playing to the end and never giving up. I loved it.....eventually !!😂
As Good As It Gets
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Great shift by the youngsters learning how to win ugly. Bodes well for the future. Good old fashioned Tigers grit and determination. Genge was awesome.

Summed up by a great game saving tackle by Costelow 👏👏👏

Roll on the Saints game
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Dire match but a win is a win.

Not sure what was up with the scrum, Was expecting that to be an area of strength.

Worth is looking increasingly like a solid performer at full-back.

Some great last ditch tackling to keep us in the game.

I'm in two minds about Wells, does some great work around the field, but is he powerful enough in the tight for a second-row?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 pm Well deserved victory on the basis the ref was utterly clueless.
& a big up for White, he looks a real prospect when he gets on with the game, like YBY, pretty average when it slows down.
Big Tomas is some unit & Lewis is coming along nicely, playing games either with us of Notts is what he needs.
The kicking wasn't clueless it was clearly the game plan. Don't play anything in our half, smash the ball down into their half and back the defence. It was a wet night and there will be plenty of knock ons and turnovers, try to keep those happening in the other half of the pitch. It's what Sarries would have done and most the Irish provinces as well (Ulster did exactly that at the Kingspan on Friday night Vs Clermont and won).

As I've said elsewhere on the thread I'd have liked him to vary how he kicked a little more but he did well to stick to his task and stay disciplined because he has a good 30m pass on his armoury but it wasn't the night for those tactics. I thought Hardwick and in fact all the half backs played like 30 years olds not 20 year olds. Very promising.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 pm Well deserved victory on the basis the ref was utterly clueless.
The kicking wasn't clueless it was clearly the game plan. Don't play anything in our half, smash the ball down into their half and back the defence. It was a wet night and there will be plenty of knock ons and turnovers, try to keep those happening in the other half of the pitch. It's what Sarries would have done and most the Irish provinces as well (Ulster did exactly that at the Kingspan on Friday night Vs Clermont and won).

As I've said elsewhere on the thread I'd have liked him to vary how he kicked a little more but he did well to stick to his task and stay disciplined because he has a good 30m pass on his armoury but it wasn't the night for those tactics. I thought Hardwick and in fact all the half backs played like 30 years olds not 20 year olds. Very promising.
For me, it's the best performance I've seen from.Ben White. His delivery seemed much, much quicker than I recall seeing in his other performances.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 am Dire match but a win is a win.

Not sure what was up with the scrum, Was expecting that to be an area of strength.

Worth is looking increasingly like a solid performer at full-back.

Some great last ditch tackling to keep us in the game.

I'm in two minds about Wells, does some great work around the field, but is he powerful enough in the tight for a second-row?
Only saw the first half live, but the ref was clueless in the scrum (and the tackle area). Blues LH was constantly not straight or pulling down, they all kept dropping knees to the ground, they had one wheel where their bind disintegrated but penalty to them. Whatever it was, it wasn't obvious or the ref was c##p.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We should have got more reward from the scrum, but then we were very lucky that Sir let Thompson turnover the ball as he had lost his feet so I think both sides can be aggrieved with the officiation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni