European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Post by biffer »

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but let’s not forget that Cardiff are rubbish. Edinburgh won down there with About twenty players missing with less drama than yesterday.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Doesn't want to rain on anyone parade.
Proceeds to do so.

End of the day a lot of people was moaning about this team was going to get trashed and we have given up on this competition and the lads won.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Above all else you can only play what's in front of you. There have been many occasions over the last few seasons when we would have lost yesterday.
Getting the winning habit and mentality back is very important.
Especially pleasing is our recently regained 80 minute attitude! :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

biffer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 am I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but let’s not forget that Cardiff are rubbish. Edinburgh won down there with About twenty players missing with less drama than yesterday.
It’s a fair point and I don’t think anybody is getting carried away, but as others have said the doom mongers were out in force when the side was announced and a bunch of mainly young players have gone down there and done a job.
Momentum has been maintained and hopefully will be continued against a decent, but beatable saints team next week
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am Doesn't want to rain on anyone parade.
Proceeds to do so.

End of the day a lot of people was moaning about this team was going to get trashed and we have given up on this competition and the lads won.
Well said RB.
As for this comp I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that after round 4 we will be on 19 points with Cardiff and Pau being on 10/11 and 9/10 respectively.
I would suggest that Cardiff will have bigger fish to fry by the time they come to welford road on January 12th, so another 5 points should be achievable, meaning we are likely to go to Pau on 24 points with them on 15 unless they win in Cardiff
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder if Costelow, Jordan and Simmons can all play in the A league, since they didn't play more than 20.
Assume Steward and Smith can.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought that it was an absolutely dire game of rugby but then given the officials apparent reluctance to officiate the offside or ruck properly we were never likely to see decent game of rugby anyway!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Come on everybody, we've had almost nothing to celebrate for years, can we all not just lean into this one and stop having a go at each other? We won when we should have been thumped, that's really a very good day out!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Much better second half and a young Tigers team beat a pretty full strength Cardiff side away from home - what's not to like?!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It was a proper Tigers victory, which is a move in the right direction.
White looked very good running with the ball & defensively he was excellent.

On the officiating generally I thought the Hooker had to be off the pitch throwing in (it's a non regulated area in all games but the Cardiff hooker was fully inside the touch line)

Next weekend will show if we are on an upward trend, they will be the favourites, let's see what happens, I would think the odds on a red card are pretty high...it needs Sir Wayne in charge.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 am Dire match but a win is a win.

Not sure what was up with the scrum, Was expecting that to be an area of strength.

Worth is looking increasingly like a solid performer at full-back.

Some great last ditch tackling to keep us in the game.

I'm in two minds about Wells, does some great work around the field, but is he powerful enough in the tight for a second-row?
Was critical of Worth beginning of the season but he’s finding some form. Reminds me a bit of Rob Miller, solid at the back premiership standard player. You need players like him in a squad to be successful.

Agreed with Wells, especially with Martin and Jordan coming through, he’ll probably move on in a few years.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good win but the quality was poor. Two bottom feeders in their respective divisions,luckily one can't go down though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

just because they got a scrappy win doesn't mean our concerns were wrong ,I still think we should have fielded a stronger side, or at least had a MUCH stronger bench, the result doesn't necessarily mean it was a smart plan, but no one is going to sit a watch wanting Tigers to lose just so we can say we told you so
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am Doesn't want to rain on anyone parade.
Proceeds to do so.

Just back from Cardiff. Most of my welsh mates said the Tigers would win so I was a happy bunny when Tom put the kick over. It was a poor game from both sides. Too many school boys errors, especially the play (or lack of it from the Tigers) that led to the Blues try - unforgivable. Both side squandered easy scoring chances and the group of supporters around me were happy when the clock read 80. Still, I got bragging rights in the pub afterwards but the game was really poor.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It doesn’t matter that the game was awful: we won.
I’ll take 3 ugly wins v Saints, Exeter and Quins.
Saints rested quite a few players too and their game yesterday shows how far they’ve gone.
Let’s hope, unlike like seasons home game v Saints the lads are up for it.
Before both the Saints and Exeter games I’d make last year’s home games compulsory viewing! Both games still irk me!