European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: European Challenge Cup - Cardiff vs Tigers

Post by mol2 »

Top 6 may be a bit ambitious given our start to the season.

There was talk of how we always find form when it matters for the play offs last season!

The logical way of looking at this is we are prioritising the use of our England players for the league over second tier European matches.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 pm does Geordie not understand the concept of building momentum and confidence, when haven't won back to back games in what a year plus? we are not in a position to just give up on games
Possible side being looked after for crucial Saints game:

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Green 6.Kalamafoni 7.Reffell 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

16.Kerr 17.Bateman 18.Leatigaga 19.Spencer 20.Thompson 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Taute

- Cole, Lenny, Ford, May and Manu rested for obvious reason
- Taufau and Veainu are recovering from head knocks
- With Liebenberg injured Kalamafoni is very important at the moment
- Reid has played every game this season I believe and Taute has knee problems (plastic pitch)

That said I'd like to have seen Reffell start and skipper, Spencer continue in the row with Lavanini and one of Reid/Taute in the midfield to add experience. With injuries in the back three I'd have used Holmes rather than move Forsyth out wide as well.

I can't say I'd have rested quite so many but concentrating on the Prem is understandable when we have 5 Premiership games to target until we lose the internationals again for the 6 Nations.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ABClub wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 pm does Geordie not understand the concept of building momentum and confidence, when haven't won back to back games in what a year plus? we are not in a position to just give up on games

16.Kerr 17.Bateman 18.Leatigaga 19.Spencer 20.Thompson 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Taute

- Reid has played every game this season I believe and Taute has knee problems (plastic pitch)

That said I'd like to have seen Reffell start and skipper, Spencer continue in the row with Lavanini and one of Reid/Taute in the midfield to add experience. With injuries in the back three I'd have used Holmes rather than move Forsyth out wide as well.

I can't say I'd have rested quite so many but concentrating on the Prem is understandable when we have 5 Premiership games to target until we lose the internationals again for the 6 Nations.
I understand why he's doing it but its a luxury you earn and Tigers haven't earned it in years, winning games can a lift so that minor niggles suddenly don't hurt nearly as bad and instill confidence in the team believing that their game plan is the right one.

The state Tigers are in EVERY game is a crucial must win game

also what's Jordan Olowufela's injury at the moment?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm Top 6 may be a bit ambitious given our start to the season.

There was talk of how we always find form when it matters for the play offs last season!

The logical way of looking at this is we are prioritising the use of our England players for the league over second tier European matches.
So if we fail to achieve top 6, we don't qualify for Champs cup, so why are we risking not qualifying through this other comp?

We should be giving it a go and see what happens, who says we will beat Saints, I hope we can but should we not wait for this result?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It is what it is but I do feel terrible for the lads thrown into a traditionally soggy Welsh pasting just because we don't have the moxie to play in two competitions at once any more. A couple of them might never have actually won a game in a Tigers jersey yet. I do hope those of you who bought tickets make the best of your afternoon, the castle is well worth a look and mostly indoors!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm It is what it is but I do feel terrible for the lads thrown into a traditionally soggy Welsh pasting just because we don't have the moxie to play in two competitions at once any more. A couple of them might never have actually won a game in a Tigers jersey yet. I do hope those of you who bought tickets make the best of your afternoon, the castle is well worth a look and mostly indoors!
Think all of them actually have won a game in a Tigers shirt.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm It is what it is but I do feel terrible for the lads thrown into a traditionally soggy Welsh pasting just because we don't have the moxie to play in two competitions at once any more. A couple of them might never have actually won a game in a Tigers jersey yet. I do hope those of you who bought tickets make the best of your afternoon, the castle is well worth a look and mostly indoors!
A number of these youngsters come from successful academy teams or England u20 teams, they are used to winning. It’s time that promise started to show some maturity.
It’ll be wet but fortunately not too boggy as it’s an artificial surface so likely to be very slippy and you’ll be able to slide in from the 22
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 pm I saw Smith play the last time we played Cardiff in the 18/19 preseason, not convinced he’s a Number 8 but I haven’t seen him play since.
He looked very good that day, but so did Olowefela in the centre!
Ahh yes Olowofela had a great game that day, probably his best performance up until the Exeter game this October.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprised to see Reffell not involved, is he injured? Maybe he insisted on not playing on the pitch, I would have done!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Veainu injured himself on Sarries plastic pitch last season which certainly played its part in our downfall.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 pm I saw Smith play the last time we played Cardiff in the 18/19 preseason, not convinced he’s a Number 8 but I haven’t seen him play since.
Good job he’s playing at 6 then
He’s on the bench. :smt023
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:44 pm

I understand why he's doing it but its a luxury you earn and Tigers haven't earned it in years, winning games can a lift so that minor niggles suddenly don't hurt nearly as bad and instill confidence in the team believing that their game plan is the right one.

The state Tigers are in EVERY game is a crucial must win game

also what's Jordan Olowufela's injury at the moment?
Olowofela got helped off against London Irish around the hour mark. I'm not sure what the knock was but he hasn't played since.

As said I'd have risked Spencer, Reffell, Reid/Taute and Holmes to strengthen that side.

Cardiff haven't even gone full strength though with Tomos Williams and Josh Adams, arguably their best two backs, still rested after Rugby World Cup duty. Particularly missing Kristian Dacey the Cardiff front row depth isn't the strongest either. Picking Genge to target their one experienced from rower who isn't injured in Scott Andrews is a good move.

I like the forward pack. The front row is strong, Lavanini needs game time in Tigers systems and Lewis is a talented blindside. Hopefully we see his pace in attack. I'd have picked Reffell with Coghlan on the bench but with Jordan and Smith about to turn 20 now is the time to give them chances.

The midfield is undoubtedly a worry though. Lee-Lo and Halaholo are a strong partnership, whereas Viljeon and Thomas is rolling the dice. I'd definitely have risked one of Reid or Taute there to lead the defensive line.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Bateman is out until Christmas.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm
mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm Top 6 may be a bit ambitious given our start to the season.

So if we fail to achieve top 6, we don't qualify for Champs cup, so why are we risking not qualifying through this other comp?

We should be giving it a go and see what happens, who says we will beat Saints, I hope we can but should we not wait for this result?
The threat of relegation? We scraped in last season and are in a worse position.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm
LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm

The threat of relegation? We scraped in last season and are in a worse position.
We’re 6 points off fourth with 18 games to go how is that a worse position