Heyneke Meyer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Heyneke Meyer

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Meyer is exactly the sort of functional but entirely uninspired appointment the club loves to make, so he's probably already got his own car parking spot lined up.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Rule number one. NEVER go back.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:58 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 pm I have nightmares about the Meyer era still. Not as bad as the reappearance of the rotund MOC, but close.
The Loffreda era was similarly nightmarish.
Meyer served up some of the worst rugby I have ever seen from Tigers, Loffreda could of worked but that was the start of player power that has sown the seeds of a lot of the present mess.

Tigers v Ospreys at the Liberty under Meyer still makes me shudder.
To be fair, that was the season with all the ELVs and everyone was playing terrible rugby for the first few months of the season. It was just as Meyer was leaving due to personal issues that most teams started to figure out keeping the ball in hand was as effective as kicking the ball. I don't think we saw a true reflection of his ability as a coach. Plus, the majority of players were very happy with the training regimes and off field work etc that he implemented and were sad to see him go.

That being said, I don't think that he's done enough since to warrant a return!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believed that this had already happened , hardly surprising though looking at the position of Stade Francais.
When Richard Cockerill departed I'd have welcomed Mayer back here - now we have to move on and forward.
I think I know who/what we don't need.Hardly positive I know but our current plight - taking into account playing resources both this season and last - defies logic and reason.Heart and soul seem missing.

Ironically enough the fate of Meyer is what occurs in the real world when things go awry for sporting institutions - perhaps Tigers should start living in the real world and take both note and similar action
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Heyneke Meyer and or Borthwick ? What will be their roles and what will happen to Murphy?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Loffreda, amateur though he was, instituted the proper warm-up, which many of the senior players didn't seem to like! While Meyer did coincide with the ELV rubbish, he epitomised dead boring rugby for me, and produced some of the worst displays until last season's clutch (and sidelined Tom Varndell for no apparent reason.....). His record since leaving has been dismal in the main.
TBH there are very few coaches who can handle the Premiership (without two international rotating squads).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am TBH there are very few coaches who can handle the Premiership (without two international rotating squads).
Good point. I am still puzzled by the enthusiasm for Borthwick on this basis. Been good for England as forwards and lineout coach, but has no track record as an overall coach, or in a 'turnaround' situation. Might be very good, but an unknown quantity.

As a general point, the board has created huge uncertainty by putting the club up for sale, because whoever comes in will presumably shake up the organisation, both at the coaching and management levels. I had assumed they already had a buyer and were going though the motions, but after all this time I guess not. Makes me wonder why a coach/DoR of any note would come in ahead of the sale.

I note that David Ellis is leaving Quins (apparently of his own volition); what about a new owner, Ellis as CEO (very few people have experience as CEO of a prem rugby club) and Cheika (turned Leinster around. Get him before he signs with a French club!).
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Picking a head coach is always a risk.
Cheika turned around Leinster, but got sacked at Stade.

Just because a coach is proven doesn't mean they are nailed on to succeed. at the time all coaches have to start as head coach somewhere.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am and sidelined Tom Varndell for no apparent reason.....
Noted, along with a few other curious decisions.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:47 am Picking a head coach is always a risk.
Cheika turned around Leinster, but got sacked at Stade.

Just because a coach is proven doesn't mean they are nailed on to succeed. at the time all coaches have to start as head coach somewhere.
Absolutely. There are no certainties.

But it is about the circumstances, managing risk and probabilities. If the club were in a strong playing position with a solid ownership structure and certain investment monies, you could 'take a punt' on an inexperienced coach. Because the rest of the organisation is strong enough to carry them through any early challenges.

But that isn't the case presently at Tigers. So wouldn't you manage the risk by bringing in a coach who has a track record with clubs 'in difficulties'? There is a greater probability that they can avoid relegation than a coach without that level of experience.

The club is in a bit of a 'perfect storm'. A world cup season was always going to be challenging; they had a poor last season so aren't facing that from a position of confidence; new players who have not yet gelled (and are doing so under immense pressure) and a coaching team struggling to get their game plans on to the pitch. Plus the club is up for sale.

A coach who is a mixture of Eddie Jones and Gandalf would be good.....
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

:smt030 Quality recruitment of coaches over recent years.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

loretta wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am and sidelined Tom Varndell for no apparent reason.....
Noted, along with a few other curious decisions.
Remember that Pat Howard sent Varndell off to Bedford for being lazy...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am Loffreda, amateur though he was, instituted the proper warm-up, which many of the senior players didn't seem to like! While Meyer did coincide with the ELV rubbish, he epitomised dead boring rugby for me, and produced some of the worst displays until last season's clutch (and sidelined Tom Varndell for no apparent reason.....). His record since leaving has been dismal in the main.
TBH there are very few coaches who can handle the Premiership (without two international rotating squads).
I actually agree with most of this, I just think that there were a lot of circumstances outside of HM's control that means it harsh to judge him on his very short time at Tigers without seeing the whole picture. Whether or not he would have turned our season round like eventually as RC did when he took over, we'll never know!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Lest we forget it was Meyer who brought Scott Hamilton the club and for me that's one big plus.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:50 pm Lest we forget it was Meyer who brought Scott Hamilton the club and for me that's one big plus.
MOC bought in Johnny May.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!