Heyneke Meyer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Heyneke Meyer

Post by strawclearer »

Rumours starting to circulate that Heyneke Meyer has been sacked by Stade Francais, according to reports in France.

According to Midi Olympique, the general manager, Thomas Lombard announced to the players this afternoon that
Meyer and his deputies would be leaving immediately.

No doubt there will be speculation of a Meyer/Borthwick 'dream team' at Tigers.....
Last edited by strawclearer on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Heyneke Meyer

Post by Mark62 »

Report on twitter saying Stade have scored fewer points and conceded more than any other side
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Meyer is a limited coach in my opinion, his teams remind me a lot of our current team where its very stale territory based play that sends you to sleep and relies on top draw kickers to even be remotely successful
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

We need a coach whose been consistently successful (not necessarily winning trophies!) over the past 5 years, any longer and it bears little relevance to the current style of play. No more risk taking. So that's a no from me to Heyneke!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:21 pm Rumours starting to circulate that Heyneke Meyer has been sacked by Stade Francais, according to reports in France.

No doubt there will be speculation of a Meyer/Borthwick 'dream team' at Tigers.....
Strawclearer can I politely ask you to stop sprouting stuff like this. You never know, someone at the club could be watching and come up with rediculous notion such as this. As fans we should be giving them ideas.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:33 pm Meyer is a limited coach in my opinion, his teams remind me a lot of our current team where its very stale territory based play that sends you to sleep and relies on top draw kickers to even be remotely successful
The style of play you describe would be a wonderful upgrade for Tigers at the moment! Pragmatism is what is needed when you're struggling. Cut out the risks and play the percentages.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way promoting the idea of Meyer returning.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:33 pm Meyer is a limited coach in my opinion, his teams remind me a lot of our current team where its very stale territory based play that sends you to sleep and relies on top draw kickers to even be remotely successful
The style of play you describe would be a wonderful upgrade for Tigers at the moment! Pragmatism is what is needed when you're struggling. Cut out the risks and play the percentages.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way promoting the idea of Meyer returning.
I think that's what we are trying to do but without Ford we don't have the halfbacks for it
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I have nightmares about the Meyer era still. Not as bad as the reappearance of the rotund MOC, but close.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm Report on twitter saying Stade have scored fewer points and conceded more than any other side
Remind you of anybody else?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 pm I have nightmares about the Meyer era still. Not as bad as the reappearance of the rotund MOC, but close.
I don't think Meyer was really here long enough to see what he was trying to achieve. Certainly the early part of his tenure was a bit more pragmatic then we were used to. He developed the lads coming through well, turning Tom Youngs into a hooker and Ben Youngs thinks highly of him and has previously met up with him on international duty.

Not the type of appointment we need currently. He's a DOR style appointment. We need a head coach who's going to come in and bring a well defined style of play and a greater intensity. The appointment of Borthwick should deliver that.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 pm I have nightmares about the Meyer era still. Not as bad as the reappearance of the rotund MOC, but close.
The Loffreda era was similarly nightmarish.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm
The Loffreda era was similarly nightmarish.
Meyer served up some of the worst rugby I have ever seen from Tigers, Loffreda could of worked but that was the start of player power that has sown the seeds of a lot of the present mess.

Tigers v Ospreys at the Liberty under Meyer still makes me shudder.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Come on, the Meyer era was not good but compared to the current garbage it was positively amazing.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Certainly our esteemed Board has appointed some pretty amazing Coaches, eh !!!????