Good Players Made To Look (Less Than) Ordinary

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Good Players Made To Look (Less Than) Ordinary

Post by kk20gb30 »

..Quite an achievement on our clubs part.
The stats for this game - if correct- defy belief and (for me) echo the statement above:

LI Vs TIGERS

POSSESSION
38%/62%

TERRITORY
39%/61%

PENALTIES CONCEDED
19/13

YELLOW CARDS
1/0

TACKLES WON
163/198 - 82% 84/98 - 86%

SCRUMS WON
3/3 100% 6/6 100%

LINEOUTS WON
17/19 - 89% 19/19 - 100%

Opponents quite happy to give us possession knowing we can do nothing with it ???

If such a mauling as yesterday at the Madejski can come from the above match stats then I really fear for this season
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Good Players Made To Look (Less Than) Ordinary

Post by drc_007 »

"Opponents quite happy to give us possession knowing we can do nothing with it ???"

I think it is actually worse than that

Opponents are quite happy to give us possession knowing we can do nothing with it, and are likely to commit an error or penalty thus conceding possession, territory and points.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Stats look good but knock ons, interceptions and discipline cost Tigers dearly.
It shows that we have a decent pack of forwards but the backs have not been good enough to make the attacks.
Irish had a good backline which took full advantage. Get the backline sorted with Eastmond, Veanu and others and there is a flicker of light.
Will Youngs be in the England squad for the six nations....if he is, I fear it is a weakness as I am not convinced about White and Simmonds.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am Stats look good but knock ons, interceptions and discipline cost Tigers dearly.
It shows that we have a decent pack of forwards but the backs have not been good enough to make the attacks.
Irish had a good backline which took full advantage. Get the backline sorted with Eastmond, Veanu and others and there is a flicker of light.
Will Youngs be in the England squad for the six nations....if he is, I fear it is a weakness as I am not convinced about White and Simmonds.
Simmonds has been given zero opportunity and needs to be thrown in at the deep end to see how he reacts. White is way too slow for me, I'm afraid.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am Stats look good but knock ons, interceptions and discipline cost Tigers dearly.
Simmonds has been given zero opportunity and needs to be thrown in at the deep end to see how he reacts. White is way too slow for me, I'm afraid.
Harrison is going to be a big loss......give 100% every game and Red White and Green runs though him.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am
Harrison is going to be a big loss......give 100% every game and Red White and Green runs though him.
Agreed, but, we can't keep playing White as his delivery is so slow it kills any modicum of momentum that we have.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I have often expressed my puzzlement over White, who I consider to be distinctly average. Once Shazam was off, we needed to attract a very good SH; a problem being he was probably on relatively modest wages (what a good ££ return and service he has given!).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Sale had their second choice No 9 on show on Friday, someone called Papier. Heavens above, he made Johnny May look slow Why didnt we get the little sod ?

White is chronically slow,in mind and speed, as are all our youngsters, and Olafewla nowhere near as quick as Thorley el al.

Plus he weighs in at half the tonnage of other Premiership wingers. Championship weight, not Premiership.

In addition, whoever is in charge of purchasing outsiders needs binning himself..
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Papier is a good scrumhalf, but he is set to return to Pretoria, unless old mate Liebenberg can put a good word in.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Law is a good up and coming scrumhalf, perhaps if Simmons is given gametime, we can rotate those two for the Six Nations period.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

fortysix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 am Sale had their second choice No 9 on show on Friday, someone called Papier. Heavens above, he made Johnny May look slow Why didnt we get the little sod ?

White is chronically slow,in mind and speed, as are all our youngsters, and Olafewla nowhere near as quick as Thorley el al.

Plus he weighs in at half the tonnage of other Premiership wingers. Championship weight, not Premiership.

In addition, whoever is in charge of purchasing outsiders needs binning himself..
Olowofela has shown great promise in these last few games, can’t say that he isn’t fast and he’s also about the same build as Watson so saying he isn’t built for the premiership is ridiculous. Any winger is going to look bad with no attacking structure or quick ball.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:24 am
fortysix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 am Sale had their second choice No 9 on show on Friday, someone called Papier. Heavens above, he made Johnny May look slow Why didnt we get the little sod ?

Olowofela has shown great promise in these last few games, can’t say that he isn’t fast and he’s also about the same build as Watson so saying he isn’t built for the premiership is ridiculous. Any winger is going to look bad with no attacking structure or quick ball.
I agree that Olowofela has shown promise in recent games. However, same build as Watson? No. Jordan doesn't get tackled, he gets picked up and carried away.

He needs to either bulk up and improve his power a bit, or become the most elusive runner in the history of rugby.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

White in his brief cameo played ok and made a couple of breaks. Simmons has not been given opportunities because he has not been fit to play over the last couple of years. The halfbacks are key to how a team plays and yesterday showed that we badly need our internationals back, we created nothing even though we had plenty of ball we just failed to use it effectively, a lot of this failure is I believe due to lack of confidence.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am The halfbacks are key to how a team plays and yesterday showed that we badly need our internationals back, we created nothing even though we had plenty of ball we just failed to use it effectively, a lot of this failure is I believe due to lack of confidence.
[/quote

Well we have had a lack of confidence for many seasons. Frankly this excuse has worn paper thin, its down to a complete failure of coaching and the players performance to do what must be done to overcome it........Winning!!!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Baz

Post by Baz »

Comments about individual players are all well and good; is there anyone out there who still believes that GM is right for the job?