Post by JP14 »

I forgot about the Cordero fiasco!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Post by Tiglon »

Yes fair enough he is clearly one of those responsible.

In fact, looking at his background I would imagine that he's probably more in control of the sporting side than the business.

All the names on that Rugby Board should be facing some kind of review of their suitability, because they are clearly failing!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm Yes fair enough he is clearly one of those responsible.

In fact, looking at his background I would imagine that he's probably more in control of the sporting side than the business.

All the names on that Rugby Board should be facing some kind of review of their suitability, because they are clearly failing!
IMO things took a real nosedive when BK joined the Board
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am For me, Ben Kay needs to deice on whether he wants be a BT Pundit or a board member, not both. In my view it has to be the former.
Spot on.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Isn't it great to have a whipping boy? Or even more than one. So now it's Ben Kay in addition to Simon Cohen. I really think it's too easy to make one to one correlations such as BK joins the board performance goes down. I believe there are more factors than just that.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just like there is some that will place the blame at Cohen (Like me) there are those that refuse to see fault in him whatsoever (Like jgriffen)
It balances itself out most of the time.

But I think everyone agrees the problem first and foremost is at the top.

That being said we first missed out on the league

Also if you think that performances wasn't going down 2014 to before then I don't really know what to say.
I also don't understand how people still seem to think cohen had nothing to do with the playing side, he was a rugby agent of course he would be involved in the playing side....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JWM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am For me, Ben Kay needs to deice on whether he wants be a BT Pundit or a board member, not both. In my view it has to be the former.
Spot on.
I make no comment - none - on Ben Kay's ability or performance either as a BT pundit or Board Member...

Someone needs to explain to me why he can't 'do both'. From Tigers' perspective, it's actually quite useful having someone with pretty much 'access all areas' at every other Club in the Premiership. There's not a lot that he doesn't get to hear about and very few players he doesn't know. There are some clubs he might occasionally have an issue with because they're wary of his connection to us but that only impinges on his BT work - and that's for him to manage.

So - what's the problem? :smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 am
Spot on.
I make no comment - none - on Ben Kay's ability or performance either as a BT pundit or Board Member...

Someone needs to explain to me why he can't 'do both'. From Tigers' perspective, it's actually quite useful having someone with pretty much 'access all areas' at every other Club in the Premiership. There's not a lot that he doesn't get to hear about and very few players he doesn't know. There are some clubs he might occasionally have an issue with because they're wary of his connection to us but that only impinges on his BT work - and that's for him to manage.

The very big problem is that Kay has the temerity to pontificate and criticise Tigers performances when he is culpable as a rugby board member for it!!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Raging Bull I don't excuse Cohen from blame, what I do object to is him being targeted solely for blame when others deserve as much or more. And also those on other vehicles who seem to think the name itself justifies the level of harassment he and his family have had. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Cohen is complicit, along with the rest of the Board. I had hoped BK would bring some sense, but apparently he was a MOC supporter!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

Spot on.

The very big problem is that Kay has the temerity to pontificate and criticise Tigers performances when he is culpable as a rugby board member for it!!!
Ok so - he's audacious and critical of our performances and doesn't hide his formal link to Tigers.

I'm still struggling to see the problem for Tigers in him holding these twin roles.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Spot on.

Conflict of interest.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 am

Ok so - he's audacious and critical of our performances and doesn't hide his formal link to Tigers.

I'm still struggling to see the problem for Tigers in him holding these twin roles.
I think for me Strawclearer, BK can criticise Tigers as a pundit; many on here do and we are also supporters. Where I think he gets it wrong is when he refers to a Tigers as "they" as if Tigers are some disassociated body with whom he has no connection. By doing this he gives the impression he is nothing to do with Tigers and I think that is odd....bear in mind many viewers may have no idea of his Tigers Board position. I am not sure he is conflicted in the strict definition of the principle, but I think he tries to have his cake and eat it when it comes to displaying his interestson. I would prefer him to declare his connection and then comment as a pundit, or declare and say he cannot comment. At the moment I think he plays both ends into the middle.
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:51 pm I forgot about the Cordero fiasco!
Plus Mafi, he was heavily linked with come back for this season. Another deal we couldn’t get over the line and joined a rival premiership club instead.

How many players were we linked to? Du Preez brothers, supposedly having signed Dan, Roelof Smit, Donnacha Ryan. Have to wonder at some point why we aren’t getting the required quality in.

Hopefully McGinty might change things around. No need to have that many people on the board. Kay and Underwood can go.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:47 am
strawclearer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 am

I think for me Strawclearer, BK can criticise Tigers as a pundit; many on here do and we are also supporters. Where I think he gets it wrong is when he refers to a Tigers as "they" as if Tigers are some disassociated body with whom he has no connection. By doing this he gives the impression he is nothing to do with Tigers and I think that is odd....bear in mind many viewers may have no idea of his Tigers Board position. I am not sure he is conflicted in the strict definition of the principle, but I think he tries to have his cake and eat it when it comes to displaying his interestson. I would prefer him to declare his connection and then comment as a pundit, or declare and say he cannot comment. At the moment I think he plays both ends into the middle.
plus
JWM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am
Conflict of interest.
I'm still not seeing why this is a problem for Tigers! BK doesn't hide his Board status - I've seen him refer to it a number of times when asked about matters off the field regarding Tigers. It really doesn't figure when he's talking about on-field stuff where he's just another pundit.

As I said earlier, I see only positives from him being in and around other clubs and players. To stress this point, how would you feel if, say, a Saints Director had an 'access all areas' pass for Oval Park and Welford Road? If there's any conflict, it's between BK and the other clubs and it's for him to manage with them.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:51 pm I forgot about the Cordero fiasco!
Plus Mafi, he was heavily linked with come back for this season. Another deal we couldn’t get over the line and joined a rival premiership club instead.

How many players were we linked to? Du Preez brothers, supposedly having signed Dan, Roelof Smit, Donnacha Ryan. Have to wonder at some point why we aren’t getting the required quality in.

Hopefully McGinty might change things around. No need to have that many people on the board. Kay and Underwood can go.
I think we have to be careful not to confuse press/supporters speculation with genuine approaches and negotiations.

Mafi, for example, would only ever have been looked at as a lock - a lock with a dodgy knee, that is - and, given the importance of the position, I doubt there are many who would say we made the wrong decision in going for Lavanini instead!