CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Post by Traveller »

There must be lots of supporters who have worked for a variety of business organisations - small, medium, large - simple, complex - local, national, international, multinational etc.

I'd love to know how the CEO's performance was measured. How to assess whether a CEO is your 'ace in the deck', 'driving you into a hole' or has 'gone AWOL.'

For starters, in my experience a competent CEO is central not only to the success, but the survival of a business. I could be wrong.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Post by fortysix »

Love the spiel. What you are saying is that Peter Tom should have gone years ago......as well as Cohen and Glyn
Will be interesting to see if more than 10,000 turn up to watch Pau
And I will bet no more than 50 travel to Pau
Last time we played there, there were circa 3000 Tigers supporters.
How the mighty have fallen....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

fortysix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:48 am Love the spiel. What you are saying is that Peter Tom should have gone years ago......as well as Cohen and Glyn
I was seriously considering coming over for the Pau game!
However, I will make every effort to go to the return match in January.
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The CEO neither coaches the team nor plays in it. Off the pitch he/she executes the will of the Board or owner. The issues with Tigers have not been down to one non-coaching individual but the Board, their pinch-penny arrogance and their complacency, and some members of the Board who have been unduly influential in making a mess of coach selection.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

fortysix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:48 am Love the spiel. What you are saying is that Peter Tom should have gone years ago......as well as Cohen and Glyn
Now semi-retired with a less than catastrophic business career behind me, although still working hard. I was told by Mr Cohen a while back I know nothing (although to be fair he knew nothing about me).

This trail is intended to educate, deepen, my own understanding of business in the C21st and the role of a CEO. I know that share price, customer service, market share, profit, are old fashioned concepts. There was a relationship between a CEOs continued employment and the success of a business as defined by its core activity. You know the sort of thing, the CEO of a timeshare company that doesn't sell any timeshares, the CEO of Marriott Hotels with an occupancy rate of 10% etc. A rugby professional rugby club that..................

I accept these are old fashioned, outmoded concepts. I'm just not sure what they've been replaced by. Help!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For me, Ben Kay needs to deice on whether he wants be a BT Pundit or a board member, not both. In my view it has to be the former.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I worked in a large company which lost revenues every year but managed to keep the books looking relatively healthy by cutting costs, mostly staff (change). The Chief Exec was rewarded with bonuses and shares options (these into the tens of millions) for maintaining the share price relatively healthy even though it fell steadily. It would seem as long as investors were getting a dividend they were happy with or afraid selling would see a collapse of share price and hence their investment then he could do no wrong. One would have thought that the CEO main objective would be to maximise share price, deliver a good return on investment, maintain company reputation, drive change and innovation and foster an environment where excellence is the norm. Not sure I see too much of that at Tigers.
I'm not cynical just experienced
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

You can't doubt the business acumen of each board member, they run the business side of the club as well as their own ventures extremely well. But what also can't be denied is their utter failure to appoint a suitable coach. Appointing Mauger was an understandable risk which failed, so therefore appointing O'Connor under the same remit was a ridiculous business decision, then Murphy who has zero coaching credentials which was for all to see (except the board!) a grossly incompetent decision.

I get the whole thing about retaining the Tigers DNA, but as many ex Tigers and pundits have said, if you want the best then you go out and either advertise the job to an open market, or you go hunt the best and make an offer.

The boards performance re coaches so far is: Mauger - fail, O'Connor - fail, Murphy - fail. So this is why i'm totally perplexed that a board of such substantial experience can make such a huge cock up with their recruitment, their integrity is now equally as damaged as our squads reputation, time for change starting from the top!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I have a lot of time for Simon Cohen as CEO. His predecessor in the role had nothing to do with the rugby side of things, Peter Wheeler was still around and he and Simon oversaw rugby business with Cocker as DOR.
When people posting refer to the past they should be accurate, last time we played in Pau there was about 5 or 6 hundred Tiger's fans there, I doubt the crowd was more than 5000 but it was a hell of a trip in a good sought of way.
We are not playing well, we are bottom of the Premiership at the moment, but our weakness is our backs and we have not had our first choice players available to us thus far in the season. Judgement should be reserved until we put out something approaching our first team.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am Personally I have a lot of time for Simon Cohen as CEO. His predecessor in the role had nothing to do with the rugby side of things, Peter Wheeler was still around and he and Simon oversaw rugby business with Cocker as DOR.
When people posting refer to the past they should be accurate, last time we played in Pau there was about 5 or 6 hundred Tiger's fans there, I doubt the crowd was more than 5000 but it was a hell of a trip in a good sought of way.
We are not playing well, we are bottom of the Premiership at the moment, but our weakness is our backs and we have not had our first choice players available to us thus far in the season. Judgement should be reserved until we put out something approaching our first team.
Good or bad thing though?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Thanks for all of this. I'm not sure that anyone thus far as addressed the main question. How does one assess the performance of the CEO. Or, obviously given the subtext, the performance of the Leicester Tigers CEO Simon Cohen. I'd just like to know what excellent, average, below average would look like. Then I will try to form a dispassionate judgement.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DingDong wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:00 am You can't doubt the business acumen of each board member, they run the business side of the club as well as their own ventures extremely well. But what also can't be denied is their utter failure to appoint a suitable coach. Appointing Mauger was an understandable risk which failed, so therefore appointing O'Connor under the same remit was a ridiculous business decision, then Murphy who has zero coaching credentials which was for all to see (except the board!) a grossly incompetent decision.

I get the whole thing about retaining the Tigers DNA, but as many ex Tigers and pundits have said, if you want the best then you go out and either advertise the job to an open market, or you go hunt the best and make an offer.

The boards performance re coaches so far is: Mauger - fail, O'Connor - fail, Murphy - fail. So this is why i'm totally perplexed that a board of such substantial experience can make such a huge cock up with their recruitment, their integrity is now equally as damaged as our squads reputation, time for change starting from the top!
Exactly. I have no time for those targeting Cohen on his own for whatever reason. The problem is exactly as you outline, ludicrous decisions on coaches. A top Head Coach makes all the difference, look at Jones and Japan!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The CEO has 2 goals:

#1. To grow the business. (The criteria that 'growth' is assessed against and the measures for doing so are determined by the board).

#2. To organise, develop and motivate everyone else in the business to help him/her achieve #1.

I spent a lot of time helping those at senior level in the corporate world to understand how business really works - and I was privileged to see both the sublime and the ridiculous. I learned never to make judgements without knowing the full facts and, like most of us on here, I don't know them on this occasion. However, what little I know that's not in the public domain persuades me that Simon Cohen receives a very unfair press.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Traveller wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 am Thanks for all of this. I'm not sure that anyone thus far as addressed the main question. How does one assess the performance of the CEO. Or, obviously given the subtext, the performance of the Leicester Tigers CEO Simon Cohen. I'd just like to know what excellent, average, below average would look like. Then I will try to form a dispassionate judgement.
You judge him or her on the remit and objectives he or she has been given by the board.

Without knowing what that remit or objective is, it's hard to judge.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Not quite sure why there is such a reluctance to say whether or not the current CEO is doing an excellent, average, or poor job and to explain what POs are being used to come to a determination.

We have a DOR who has been responsible for 31 matches. 9 victories, 22 defeats. 4 of 9 victories came in the first 7 games. 3 victories in last 16, 5 in 24. Nonetheless he might be doing a fantastic job.

For me the CEO accepts a job, takes time to form a view, informs Board what needs to happen. Clear alignment between Board and CEO, and off we go.

If the CEO cannot find alignment with Board, he / she packs bag. Most common when CEO identifies the Board as the problem. The one no no is for the CEO to take the salary, stay as business slides, holds up hands, and says 'what can I do, nothing is my responsibility, Board is dysfunctional, I can't be held to account.'

But maybe you can.