Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:20 pm
cpwhelan wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 pm Slightly off-piste, but Messrs. Cohen and Tom could not have but noticed how far they have let this club sink that we didn't get a single mention over the weekend on TV - as others have repeatedly pointed out, Tigers were once top table but it really hurts to see we're not even in the house!
CPW
Tigers is a business and providing they do not lose anymore money they could not hive a flying fig if Tigers are not mentioned or featured on TV this week end. I know from a large number of fellow supporters around me that they have decided that if the rugby does not improve this season then its adios.
So support is only given to a winning side? I don’t get that attitude. You are either a supporter or you or not. If not then good riddance, you won’t be missed. I know plenty of folks who support lower league footie sides who never have any glory, who don’t have much hope of it, but it’s their team and they support no matter what. No glory hunters there.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

So support is only given to a winning side? I don’t get that attitude. You are either a supporter or you or not. If not then good riddance, you won’t be missed. I know plenty of folks who support lower league footie sides who never have any glory, who don’t have much hope of it, but it’s their team and they support no matter what. No glory hunters there.

It is this pompous, jingoistic rationale that dictates why the club will not change.
What pleasure do you get from being one a hardcore of 2000 one-eyed supporters playing in the Championship?
Market forces will leave you behind. The fan base should be demanding change and not be satisfied with mediocrity.
Why release ‘tickets sold’ as the crowd. It is nowhere near what the reality is. Release gate figures. That will tell you what the real situation is.

You enjoy it, mate. Cold comfort in my eyes.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Who says it’s a binary choice between accepting mediocrity and supporting the team when they need it the most? It’s your attitude JGT that is most worrying. With that attitude 11 of the 12 sides don’t deserve support because they aren’t winners. It’s that attitude that got us to Saracen’s’ salary cap abuse. It is undermining the spirit of the game and threatens every attempt to build the fan base. I don’t know whether you have seen us play this season in person JGT but there’s a process of re-building going on after a hard couple of seasons - no-one I know of is saying anything/everything is right yet and I for one reserve judgement on the ability of the coaching group as currently configured to get the significant stuff that remains right - but there are certainly improvements over last season, the players seem better motivated to fight for the club and each other, and that’s an expression of support in the coaches. The players approach to the inevitable set backs and disappointments is critical and is exactly why they need our support not the trigger- happy key board warriors who demand instantaneous change without any idea what they are saying. It is not pompous or jingoistic to think this way, just realistic and, IMO important.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

So be it.

I am not a key board warrior but a STH who has seen incremental decline.

My choice.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm
The players approach to the inevitable set backs and disappointments is critical and is exactly why they need our support not the trigger- happy key board warriors who demand instantaneous change without any idea what they are saying.
I think six seasons of decline can not even be remotely adjudged as instantaneous change!! I shall carry on my season ticket but totally respect the right of others that choose to end their patronage. It does not make you in any way a glory hunter or fair weather supporter if you buy a season ticket , match ticket or none at all!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:20 pm
cpwhelan wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 pm Slightly off-piste, but Messrs. Cohen and Tom could not have but noticed how far they have let this club sink that we didn't get a single mention over the weekend on TV - as others have repeatedly pointed out, Tigers were once top table but it really hurts to see we're not even in the house!
CPW
Tigers is a business and providing they do not lose anymore money they could not hive a flying fig if Tigers are not mentioned or featured on TV this week end. I know from a large number of fellow supporters around me that they have decided that if the rugby does not improve this season then its adios.
This all day long :smt016
A2O
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm Who says it’s a binary choice between accepting mediocrity and supporting the team when they need it the most? It’s your attitude JGT that is most worrying. With that attitude 11 of the 12 sides don’t deserve support because they aren’t winners. It’s that attitude that got us to Saracen’s’ salary cap abuse. It is undermining the spirit of the game and threatens every attempt to build the fan base. I don’t know whether you have seen us play this season in person JGT but there’s a process of re-building going on after a hard couple of seasons - no-one I know of is saying anything/everything is right yet and I for one reserve judgement on the ability of the coaching group as currently configured to get the significant stuff that remains right - but there are certainly improvements over last season, the players seem better motivated to fight for the club and each other, and that’s an expression of support in the coaches. The players approach to the inevitable set backs and disappointments is critical and is exactly why they need our support not the trigger- happy key board warriors who demand instantaneous change without any idea what they are saying. It is not pompous or jingoistic to think this way, just realistic and, IMO important.
Sums up my view and my thoughts on the post that it refers to pretty well.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe the user is inferring with all the changes made during the season, people are expecting the team should be winning every game. Not all the new players have been selected and the Internationals have just returned. The return to the days of old will not happen overnight whilst some seem to expect.
Four games into the season in my opinion is too early to make a proper judgement for the season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:06 pm I believe the user is inferring with all the changes made during the season, people are expecting the team should be winning every game. Not all the new players have been selected and the Internationals have just returned. The return to the days of old will not happen overnight whilst some seem to expect.
Four games into the season in my opinion is too early to make a proper judgement for the season.
As someone who can no longer go to the games we used to, I was shocked at the attendance and lack of enthusiasm on Saturday. There were times when Tigers stuttered, but there was enough on the field to see improvement from last season. We have real assets in players like Ford, Holmes, Veainu, Tuilagi, Genge, Cole, plus a new pack that has potential. I agree that maybe January is a good time to assess, since this is a long season!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Getting back to what occurred on the pitch - we looked more threatening ball in hand and played with more speed and guile.
Without raining on anyone's parade how though we have to ask ourselves exactly what did we look good against. Pau made significant changes from the previous weeks pro 14 fixture.
A win is win though , and we need all the wins we can get right now , however and against whoever.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

As others have said it is too early to fully determine the level of improvement but we have seen improvement as demonstrated by this performance. If we had lost and lost badly then the writing may well have been on the wall for the current coaching team but I for one am happy to give it a little more time and see where it goes.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

From the perspective of those lucky enough to see the game, was it a good performance by Premiership standards? Would it have saved our despair vs Irish for instance? I was following along on Twitter but the Tigers social media team have a certain understandable enthusiasm for inflating the extremely ordinary.
10mill
Tiger Cub

Post by 10mill »

I was there with my lad.

Mixed bag tbh. We looked good ball in hand, Kalamafoni looked vicious going forwards breaking the gain line repeatedly.

Albeit dull watching at times the we played intelligent territory rugby with some excellent kicks from hand from Ford in particular.

From the returnees Ford stood out to me, had an excellent game with a lot of defensive/positioning play that often goes unnoticed.

Now the not so goods;

Scrum creaked a fair bit, however this was dismally refereed so hard to judge the extent of the creak.

Our defensive line, whilst the intent was there looked vulnerable. Pau looked like scoring every time they entered our 22.

Would we have beaten Irish? I don’t know I haven’t seen that game.

We looked more threatening in attack yesterday but defensive sets not as good as we looked in the Gloucester game.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am Tigers social media team have a certain understandable enthusiasm for inflating the extremely ordinary.
Sacre Bleu mon dieu, that is tantamount to heracy but its spot on. That said, they are only doing their job afterall but I find it somewhat patronising.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am From the perspective of those lucky enough to see the game, was it a good performance by Premiership standards? Would it have saved our despair vs Irish for instance? I was following along on Twitter but the Tigers social media team have a certain understandable enthusiasm for inflating the extremely ordinary.
For the most part it was an enjoyable game to watch and in addition to Fords play I thought BY was excellent at the breakdown creating fast ball with good vision. The slowdown was very noticeable when he was replaced by Ben White.

Pau are not a bad team so the winning margin was pleasing and if they continue to play in the same vein we should win a lot more games than we loose this season, something that I never thought was the case last season. Silverware would be a bonus but I for one will be happy if we at least put ourselves in contention.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!