Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Pau Saturday Nov 16th

Post by Grimlish »

Pau may have had a second string side out but these were no mugs. Their pack was immense, must have had a couple of stone per man on ours, and several inches in height/reach.

The ref was broadly OK first half although he seemed not to understand their front row was popping up first half, and must have had it pointed out to him at the break as he (wrongly imo) pinged Tigers for that second half. Seemed to lose control a bit in the second half when there were a couple of on-field scuffles (and at least one of those had nothing to do with Ellis and distracted me from Jonah's solo effort in front of the Crumbie).

The defensive sets were good, with good speed and aggression in the line. We disrupted their maul very effectively several times without really using the maul as an effective weapon in the corners ourselves. Ben, George, Manu and Noel combined creatively at times and Worth's try was great reward for his long loop round from left to right wing, having seen the opportunity and space.

Something to build on.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

does anyone know when & where we might get to see highlights of this game?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I thought the ref competent, and he treated the handbags as what it was. Reminded me of proper rugby. I thought our second half was better with two bad defensive lapses, but two excellent tries with real ball speed. Our maul should've been used more often down the middle, when we moved from that area we looked excellent. Not convinced by Viljoen, flappy missed tackles. Excellent masterclass from Ford, looked a class above all except Holmes who looked like a top winger. Boledau was very good as receiver, made his yards and support at tackle. Our lineout was good too.
We have to improve to win Prem matches, and not sure we should risk assets on Blues pitch next week.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Thought Worth and White performed well when they came on. Spencer reminds me of Mike Williams in that they were both immense for Worcester but fell off the wagon after joining Tigers. Viljoen has yet to warrant a starting XV birth in my book
I hope Taute comes good after his first game and off the bench. Hope Eastmond is back soon and likewise May.

Thought all the England returnees made a massive contribution especially Ford and Youngs who were superb

Nice to see Jonah set a new club record :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 pm I thought the ref competent, and he treated the handbags as what it was. Reminded me of proper rugby. I thought our second half was better with two bad defensive lapses, but two excellent tries with real ball speed. Our maul should've been used more often down the middle, when we moved from that area we looked excellent. Not convinced by Viljoen, flappy missed tackles. Excellent masterclass from Ford, looked a class above all except Holmes who looked like a top winger. Boledau was very good as receiver, made his yards and support at tackle. Our lineout was good too.
We have to improve to win Prem matches, and not sure we should risk assets on Blues pitch next week.
How does Cardiff’s pitch compare to other artificial surfaces.
Unsure which players can’t play on these surfaces, certainly Manu before his groin issues and I wouldn’t risk May if his hamstring is still a little sore. Other than that partnerships need to be built upon.
A win next week and then back to back against the Italians would mean almost certain qualification for the quarters and a big push for a home quarter
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice the abundance of 'team meetings' the players had on the pitch? Slightly amusing/comical when the crowd were encouraged to count down the clock at the beginning of the match, only to see Tigers still in their huddle.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Blues pitch has seen a few injuries. Players like Ed Slater, Jack Nowell have had season curtailing injuries on similar.Scully had one after moving there. Sudden changes or bad landings turn very bad. Most Pro14 complain of burns from it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 pm Not convinced by Viljoen
Ditto, but did well to hold up the ball over our line. For me, actually looked better going backwards. Damned by faint praise, I’m afraid
RichieB wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 pm Was it just me, or did anyone else notice the abundance of 'team meetings' the players had on the pitch? Slightly amusing/comical when the crowd were encouraged to count down the clock at the beginning of the match, only to see Tigers still in their huddle.
Pretty conspicuous throughout the game, if it builds esprit de corps, I’m all for it.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The team meetings seem to include 'touching base' rituals - taking the chance to touch base and re-engage with pre-determined goals via physical cues.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm Just got back from the game.
Tigers did what they had to do. Well done.
I would play the England players next week for 55 - 60 minutes to try to get back to back wins and improve on what wasn’t so good this week.
Go fully loaded and have a good crack at Saints. If we do well, bonus point minimum then rest some players in the next two European games.
Plus points today: Kalamafoni, Holmes, George Ford, Youngs and Manu very good.
Cole usual dependable performance.
Forwards still need to be quicker to support and must tighten defensive work.
Boladau again looked good but only played half a game.
Locks both played well.
Thought the ref had a pretty good game; looked to me that he got most things right; his touch judges not so good at pointing things out.
I’m not sure if we won the competition if we’d qualify for the main competition as we’ve never to think about that before!
Well done to those who came to try to make some noise today.
We are in it together!
Bear in mind that I have heard somewhere recently that with mandatory rests and international commitments that we will have our England players for no more than 7 games this season. So do we want that to in the cup games or do we want to make sure we have them at the sharp end of the season where they might be most needed?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Isn't that 7 premiership games?
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Glad we won, even if the the opposition were under Pau-wered.
Nope, not remotely sorry.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:44 pm Its a pointless competition in my opinion any talk of winning it is for the birds. We should field the development team for Europe and save our first XV for the Saints match.
Completely agree. If we field first team and get injuries it could seriously affect survival. Bad injury to Ford or Manu could stuff us.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

tigerssteve wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:41 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:44 pm Its a pointless competition in my opinion any talk of winning it is for the birds. We should field the development team for Europe and save our first XV for the Saints match.
Completely agree. If we field first team and get injuries it could seriously affect survival. Bad injury to Ford or Manu could stuff us.
I'd agree except the team currently looks like they first met in the car park before the match at times. They need time playing together under match pressure.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

ads wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:04 am Isn't that 7 premiership games?
Then don't take chances of injury, especially at Cardiff, in competitions which don't matter!.