Red Roses - Women's Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Red Roses - Women's Rugby

Post by RichieB »

I've really enjoyed watching the England Women's rugby over the last few years. Great to see the increase in popularity and the success of the England team. Makes me wonder why we don't see much if anything of a women's team here in Leicester. Or is there?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Red Roses - Women's Rugby

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 pm I've really enjoyed watching the England Women's rugby over the last few years. Great to see the increase in popularity and the success of the England team. Makes me wonder why we don't see much if anything of a women's team here in Leicester. Or is there?
i believe in the past that Tigers stated they did not wish to start a team as it would distract from Loughborough's team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have always advocated the relocation of Lichfield Women to Leicester but oh well...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:10 pm
RichieB wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 pm I've really enjoyed watching the England Women's rugby over the last few years. Great to see the increase in popularity and the success of the England team. Makes me wonder why we don't see much if anything of a women's team here in Leicester. Or is there?
i believe in the past that Tigers stated they did not wish to start a team as it would distract from Loughborough's team.
I was at the match in Clermont yesterday and was amazed and disappointed at the lack of English support. In a crowd of 13,600, which is pretty decent, there was me and the wife with the red roses! Easy for us admittedly, living in France now, but Clermont has a Ryanair connection to the UK with flights from a tenner. You'd pay that to park at Welford Road! Tickets started at five euros and the atmosphere there is brilliant. The standard of rugby is improving in leaps and bounds and some of the hits were earth shattering. I saw the 6 nations match with Ireland about 5 years ago and it's massively improved from then. We were even treated to a 'Handbags ' moment with the packs at it like the old days! If you get the chance, give it a go. As for Tigresses, I reckon a link with Loughborough is the way to go.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Yes - I saw the handbags moment on TV yesterday. Would have been a non-event in a men's game, but much less usual in the women's game. I looked up the main women's teams and from what I can remember there are teams at Saracens, Harlequins, Bristol, Wasps, Gloucester. I assume the one most local to Leicester is because of the links to Loughborough University. A lot of basketball in the U.K. Is based around Universities.

I imagine there are some financial implications of Tigers taking over Loughborough, you certainly wouldn't want any distractions away from the men's team who need all of the focus they can get.

I wonder if Saracens Women's team are financially robust?!!!!?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Lichfield RFC has great connections to Tigers. Didn't save the Ladies team incl Scarratt, from being shafted by the RFU despite being in the top 4 English teams. Unforgivable IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RichieB wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 am
I wonder if Saracens Women's team are financially robust?!!!!?
Financially, extremely; and probably physically too :smt002
Semper in excretia
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Tigers chose to go the way of a wheelchair team, rather than a women’s team, citing the issue of Loughborough, and the fact that the area could not support two teams.
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm Lichfield RFC has great connections to Tigers. Didn't save the Ladies team incl Scarratt, from being shafted by the RFU despite being in the top 4 English teams. Unforgivable IMO.
More should have been, I heard the reason they were shafted because of improper selection or payment or something along those lines, bit pathetic to diminish and banish a Top 4 Women’s club when Saracens mens get a slap on the wrist for overspending the salary cap.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:30 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm Lichfield RFC has great connections to Tigers. Didn't save the Ladies team incl Scarratt, from being shafted by the RFU despite being in the top 4 English teams. Unforgivable IMO.
More should have been, I heard the reason they were shafted because of improper selection or payment or something along those lines, bit pathetic to diminish and banish a Top 4 Women’s club when Saracens mens get a slap on the wrist for overspending the salary cap.
I guess it wouldn’t be because the RFU is still run by “old farts”?
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Very much so!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Frankly, the way the men's first 15 are performing, I might be tempted to go over to Loughborough quite soon!