Boyd’s coaching answers the question.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Northampton vs Quins

Post by sam16111986 »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 pm
Chris Boyd is the type of coach we should employing,
He started slowly and built up Saints over his first season. It's after his second pre season that they've started to really hit their straps.

Recruiting from the SH can be a lottery when it comes to coaches. Tom Coventry came from the Chiefs after they'd had some success and was a disaster at LI. Mauger didn't work for us. Laurie Fisher had no success at Gloucester despite doing well working with the Brumbies and Munster. Todd Blackadder came with a big reputation from the Crusaders but did nothing for Bath.

The only SH coach I really wanted us to bring in and have regretted us missing out on is Ackerman. Think he could have done a lot with our forwards. Currently there's not many down there we could attract that would be better than the Borthwick option we appear to be going with. Robertson will either go to the ABs or stay with the Crusaders and Jamie Joseph is being linked with a role in the AB setup though I imagine Japan would like to retain him. Who else? Wessels, that would be a risk. Plumtree, would be nice but he's back in NZ because he wants to be there, he could have taken the European money before now if he wanted it.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Can we all at least agree that it was a pretty good game? Eight tries on a Friday night under lights, not bad going. Both teams provide a pretty good snapshot of what we should aim for, especially Quins who on paper don't have much if anything over us.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Except a decent coach.......
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

When Cockers and Mauger were sacked in short order we needed a non-Tigers experienced coach which the board were scouring the world for. We ended with MOC as he was available and had the phone number and the ear of the right person on the board. Following the debacle of his time in charge and its descent into farce the board only had GM as an option. Shame on the board. Stains and our decline was fairly contiguous yet look where they are and where we are now. I worry about where we might get the 20 or so points we might need to stay up this season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Paul Gustard was also an unproven head coach before he came to Harlequins, they were a few inches away from a semifinal last year, just saying...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:41 pm Aren’t you embarrassed by our standard of coaching whitecap.
No, I'm disappointed by results, I'm disappointed by some of our play, but not embarrassed - I'll leave that to monotonous moaners like yourself, constantly finding any point in any game, ours or others, to slate the team/club about.

I want change, I want better play. I think both are coming, not a forlorn hope but a genuine belief.

For what it's worth, I doubt you even have Leicester at the centre of your focus if all you do is whine.

Great result today, lots of dog, passion, some better play - some the same old same old - some rub of the green - no way ur scrum near the end when ludlow nicked it - but we'll take it, we'll smile, we'll count our lucky stars and hope to go forward from this point.

No doubt you'll pick it to pieces, at least in a real pub or on the terrace we'd have the opportunity to silence or move away from the perennial moaner.

Well done today Tigers.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:41 pm Aren’t you embarrassed by our standard of coaching whitecap.
No, I'm disappointed by results, I'm disappointed by some of our play, but not embarrassed - I'll leave that to monotonous moaners like yourself, constantly finding any point in any game, ours or others, to slate the team/club about.

I want change, I want better play. I think both are coming, not a forlorn hope but a genuine belief.

For what it's worth, I doubt you even have Leicester at the centre of your focus if all you do is whine.

Great result today, lots of dog, passion, some better play - some the same old same old - some rub of the green - no way ur scrum near the end when ludlow nicked it - but we'll take it, we'll smile, we'll count our lucky stars and hope to go forward from this point.

No doubt you'll pick it to pieces, at least in a real pub or on the terrace we'd have the opportunity to silence or move away from the perennial moaner.

Well done today Tigers.
Will the real Tigers please show themselves! I, for one, hope today was it as that's more of what I came to know growing up. I also think we have a bit of a gem in Hardwick