Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duty of care

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Conversation that came up earlier:

Where are you watching NZ v Wales?
I probably won't, it's a pointless match etc etc

This went on and the suggestion came up that with more and more focus on player welfare, and the real risk of life changing injuries in every match, should a 3rd place play off exist anymore? Or should WR be decreasing the number of games where possible? What happens if a player gets a career ending injury on Friday?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Duty of care

Post by mol2 »

The logical extension is to stop playing when you can't win the league or can't be relegated....

Is it a worthwhile game I'm not so sure I'd pay for a ticket to watch it but historically the game is there and is no more or less dangerous than a semi or the game between the bottom 2 in the pool.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

But no other cup competition has this game (in rugby).

I understand the risk is no greater. But it's arguably not a competitive fixture. Just look at the team sheets. I'd be hard pressed to tell you who was in this fixture 4 and 8 years ago!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm But no other cup competition has this game (in rugby).

I understand the risk is no greater. But it's arguably not a competitive fixture. Just look at the team sheets. I'd be hard pressed to tell you who was in this fixture 4 and 8 years ago!
Yes they do the Wendyball world cup has 3/4 place play off
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Combat sports at the Olympics award two bronzes exactly for this reason, nobody should risk their health for third place or to protect broadcasting revenues.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Dont bet normally but got good odds for All Blacks sticking 50 past the Welshies....
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

fortysix wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 pm Dont bet normally but got good odds for All Blacks sticking 50 past the Welshies....
More than that I'd say, they've put out a better squad than for the semi and Wales have made 9 changes.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I wonder at what stage of the thrashing (if it comes) I will start to feel sorry for Wales.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:27 pm Combat sports at the Olympics award two bronzes exactly for this reason, nobody should risk their health for third place or to protect broadcasting revenues.
Not quite. That's only boxing. Judo, taekwondo, and wrestling, also award two bronze medals but these are given to the winners of matches between the losing semi-finalists and the winners of the repechage so there is actually an additional, so-called irrelevant, match.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:32 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm But no other cup competition has this game (in rugby).

Yes they do the Wendyball world cup has 3/4 place play off
And they don’t like it either, I remember the discontent when England played in it in 2018.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Football has a much lower injury rate than rugby though. You can almost guarantee that one player tomorrow will get a concussion. And another will get injured another way. All for a game where teams are making 10 changes from their best 23.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:27 pm Combat sports at the Olympics award two bronzes exactly for this reason, nobody should risk their health for third place or to protect broadcasting revenues.
Slightly difference - the losing semi-finalist could have been stopped - cuts/KO and be deemed unfit to fight.

Rugby is a contact sport not a combat sport.

Why play the Autumn internationals, friendlies in the warm ups and so on?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't know if a 3rd/4th place match is a bit cruel less than a week after losing a semi-final or whether it's an opportunity to get over the disappointment quickly, maybe those who have played it could enlighten us!
There are risks in any game, we just don't hear that much about them as it is not good advertising.
I watched a piece on the Invictus Games and a female swimmer who was a former rugby player from the RAF and lost use of an arm after a simple incident of bending a thumb back in a rugby match.
For every good story there is a not so good story.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am
Slightly difference - the losing semi-finalist could have been stopped - cuts/KO and be deemed unfit to fight.

Or play any games at all. Some good arguments are being put forward on here to ban the sport all together.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

h's dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 am
mol2 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am

Or play any games at all. Some good arguments are being put forward on here to ban the sport all together.
There will always be a certain level of risk associated with the sport, and I'm definitely not advocating preventing other fixtures. But when players are playing, in my opinion, a completely pointless game - which I bet the viewing figures will also prove for the match compared to the semi-finals even when the weekday timing is taken into account - it seems to go against everything that WR and the national unions are striving for safety-wise. If this wasn't the last game for Hansen, Gatland etc how much coverage do you think it would even get?