The World Cup Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: The World Cup Final

Post by drc_007 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:07 am Cocky England strikes again...

Yes in ‘03 us Tigers-tinted spectacle wearers would have thought that Corry was the better player than Dallaglio but I think this time around it was plain to see that Daly would ultimately be the ending of us and was the wrong selection.
Daly was poor but many players under-performed on the day. No excuses, better team won, and sad to say they look like they wanted it more.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Stuffed comprehensively up front, we missed Sinckler badly.
And some of the players had mares.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I think that will be the end of a few England careers too - sad to say Coley amongst them
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Best team won by a country mile. Heard Manu mentioned twice in the game. That’s not great. May looked slow and probably still a bit injured. Shame but no disgrace to losing to South Africa who played a better game.
Not that upset as England didn’t deserve to win.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agreed - "A game too far"

Did any one see a likeness between Englands' performance today and Tigers against Sarries last week ?

On the upside Tigers contingent have come through uninjured. Get rested lads we need you. :smt038 :smt038

Yes I can see Cole - Marler ( who was) - Lawes retired from England
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wasn’t the end that Dan Cole deserved but nonetheless a silver medal is still a silver medal.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Just to clarify - I don't think Coley will retire, as that's not the sort of guy he is, but I think that his time wearing the red rose is over. It'll be interesting to see who EJ brings through to replace him
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just looking to see if Kolisi can get a knighthood or some sort, South Africa is a Commonwealth nation but I don’t think the Queen is their head of state.

Can I anyone confirm/correct this?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

South Africa dominated every aspect of the game and thoroughly deserved their win. They managed to keep England playing a very narrow game and not unleashing Tuilagi, May or Watson.

Youngs was headless for the first 25 minutes and put Ford in some dire situations. Daly had his worst game in quite a while.

For me the game truly was lost when after the 25 phases we failed to score the try and then shortly after conceded a soft knock on which led to a penalty to make it 6-12 at half time instead of 8-9 or 10-9.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem was lost before the game started.

Picked a side and tactics to beat the All Blacks when they should have been acknowledging that this was a game where South Africa were going to play more like Wales or Ireland. South Africa were only ever going to play one game plan and executed it with absolute efficiency.

Exposed Daly at full back and the lack of scrum power that playing Macko and Lawes concedes.
Likewise it probably wasn’t a game for Ford to start but that’s up for debate. Losing Sinckler was a major blow and penalising Cole a couple of times when their loose head walked round him was an error.

Was Macko fit? Or is it the case that he has built a reputation in the loose which is all well and good but the core skill of scrummaging wasn’t there today.

Some flapping and panic ensued which kept giving them the ball.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RWC highlighted the need for big physical forwards even if the game is supposed to be changing to a more attacking mindset that was being predicted and still is being said to change with people praising Saints, Gloucester and Japan, but a good defence will trump a good attack.

Hopefully if Borthwick is coming he has learnt a thing of two from the SA game.
What I would give to sign Vermeulen even if he is 34 next season.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Lots of errors for ENG early on blew the confidence to allow them to play wide and fast to outwit the big boks ... plus obviously without a competing scrum your odds of winning are very poor ... at times if they knocked on I thought forget that let's carry on ... we really don't want another scrum. Well done RSA well deserved ... funny old game isnt it !!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

biffer wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 am Right, let’s say no more about it and get back to our petty club rivalries.
This. Apart from the fact that Tigers are even more depressing to watch these days...

For me it wasn't the gameplan today but the execution. No England player came out of that with much credit, but Youngs, Ford and Daly were particularly poor. Repeat of going to Ireland trying to win the grand slam a couple of years ago.

The scrum was so influential because England kept dropping the ball. If we'd handled well and kicked well the scoreline would have been very different.

Turns out the NZ win was just another in a long line of false dawns with England teams.

Hats off to Erasmus for taking such a woeful South African team two years ago to World Cup Winners. The lesson here, as he said this week, is that when your team isn't doing very well go back to basics, play "boring" rugby, play percentages, kick intelligently and don't take too many risks - play rugby in the right parts of the field. That's the foundation that both Exeter and Saracens (and England 2003 for that matter) built their success on and we've seen it again today. I hope Tigers are paying attention...
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Absolutely pathetic today, most of them didn't even turn up. No discernable game plan and the Boks were allowed to dominate right from the off. Poor skills levels, most couldn't even pass properly, lack of effort and intelligence and poor game maganement, simply gave the Boks too much time and space. Can't take any positives from that performance at all, other than England were't nilled.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Odd selection for me in picking May when he clearly wasn’t fit. Cokanasiga should have started, better than an 80% fit May.

England will get better. Most of these players will be around until the next World Cup and we have some serious talent coming through.