The World Cup Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

The World Cup Final

Post by Soggypitch »

Have I missed it? Can't see a thread for this....

England to win by 12. Hopefully more!!!

Will May be fit? He certainly didn't look it on Saturday, being outsprinted by their No.6. Fingers crossed he is because he is world class in attack and defence.

If not however and assuming Nowell is still not properly fit, I would stick with Slade at 15, don't think Cockasinga or Mc....are experienced enough at this level, especially in defence. The WCF is not the place to learn.

No doubt Eddie will spring a surprise or two!
Soggypitch
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The World Cup Final

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Hopefully Ford stays at 10 but as the reason Jones picked Farrell, Tuilagi and Slade against Australia was because of the physical nature of the game, I have a feeling he will do this again for the final bearing in mind who the opposition is.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm Hopefully Ford stays at 10 but as the reason Jones picked Farrell, Tuilagi and Slade against Australia was because of the physical nature of the game, I have a feeling he will do this again for the final bearing in mind who the opposition is.
Difference for this game is that kicking will be key and Ford has been the best out of hand so far at the World Cup. Also think SA have looked vulnerable when get it wide. Then again never know what Eddie is going to do...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:30 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm Hopefully Ford stays at 10 but as the reason Jones picked Farrell, Tuilagi and Slade against Australia was because of the physical nature of the game, I have a feeling he will do this again for the final bearing in mind who the opposition is.
Difference for this game is that kicking will be key and Ford has been the best out of hand so far at the World Cup. Also think SA have looked vulnerable when get it wide. Then again never know what Eddie is going to do...
The Bok defence was very narrow against Wales. Whether that was a tactic knowing Gatland's preference for a direct game plan or whether that's just how they are going to defend we will find out.

I think tactical kicking will be key in this one. SA will want to grind out the win and will look at the set piece and territory as key areas too dominate. If we can force them to try and play out from their own half their big ball carriers are going to tire, particularly with our big hitting forwards.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 pm Have I missed it? Can't see a thread for this....

England to win by 12. Hopefully more!!!

Will May be fit? He certainly didn't look it on Saturday, being outsprinted by their No.6. Fingers crossed he is because he is world class in attack and defence.

If not however and assuming Nowell is still not properly fit, I would stick with Slade at 15, don't think Cockasinga or Mc....are experienced enough at this level, especially in defence. The WCF is not the place to learn.

No doubt Eddie will spring a surprise or two!
I'd heard he had a dead leg rather than a hamstring but............who knows?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I hope Genge gets the bench spot.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

England fined for crossing the line, not for challenging the Haka.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Reading the tea leaves ..... Jones needs to stick with Ford, Faz, Manu ... ENG will move the RSA pack around mercilessly at breakneck speed and get the kick balance right (I hope) ... May strongly rumoured to likely be fit, also Sinks and Faz ... key point for me is how RSA want to play ... I thought both WAL and RSA overdid (massively) the kicking on Sunday. If they attack with the now fit Cheslin Kolbe they could change the expected equation ... as mentioned by someone above RSA defended quite narrowly vs WAL ... on Saturday they will want to stop ENG expansive play at source at close quarters with the big bosh ... as stopping it one or two passes out is very hard against ENG because of world class wrap around passes into space from Ford, Faz, Sinks, both Vunipolas, George etc ... once space is created out wide then ENG speed of breakdown access (KK) through the phases is very threatening .... being negative for a moment ENG can’t play as well as last Saturday can they ?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's difficult to expect England to play that well again on Saturday, but it's also hard to imagine that South Africa will be sufficiently improved or much more positive in their play. Kolbe adds a huge threat but I dont think it changes their gameplan.

Keep de Allende behind the gain line and we should be able to blunt their attack. Then it's all about how we cope with their kicking, keep hold of the ball and test them in a way Wales couldn't.

I'm expecting some huge contests and a few big moments from South Africa, but ultimately a fairly comfortable scoreline on 80 minutes.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Finals tend to close, ‘87, ‘99 and 2015 are the exceptions, and honestly I’m not expecting this final to be the fourth.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Just watched this video clip

Come on England!

https://twitter.com/englandrugby/status ... 74465?s=21
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

No substitute for power. As the old adage goes forwards win games backs decide by how many
I'm not cynical just experienced
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Right, let’s say no more about it and get back to our petty club rivalries.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cocky England strikes again...

Yes in ‘03 us Tigers-tinted spectacle wearers would have thought that Corry was the better player than Dallaglio but I think this time around it was plain to see that Daly would ultimately be the ending of us and was the wrong selection.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Agreed JP14 - don’t think he put a step right all game