Post by JP14 »

Yeah Lavanini was poor last night.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tomas Lavanini

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 am Yeah Lavanini was poor last night.
I think he was frightened by the yellow card he got last week and his past reputation. The 3 consecutive lineout offences seem to stop him competing and in fact we had to stop contesting any of Sales put ins. Ref pinged us for everything, not saying we didn't commit those offences but he never seem to ping Sale, perhaps they didn't high tackle etc? Our pack/forwards, we missed Taufua, they were under immense pressure contributing to many of our problems.

Just a comment re Hughes, he had a good game last week, he should have started this week, Olowefela was inconspicuous.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

..." It's alright , I know of a good dental surgeon "..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

..." I am also fortunate enough to know a very good chiropractor "...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

..." cant we just put that one down to over- exuberance ? .. "
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Just watched the interview from the Gloucester match. Tomas comes across as a "caballero de verdad". Great guy!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm Just watched the interview from the Gloucester match. Tomas comes across as a "caballero de verdad". Great guy!!
Agreed Rutland Tiger! I can't understand the antipathy of some towards Tomas. His discipline is much improved from earlier in his career. I'm sure with the right support and encouragement from our new coaching team that he will be an important component in the Tigers scrum for several seasons if we can hang on to him.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Lavinini was excellent against Gloucester. He was a nuisance at the breakdown, made some huge hits, worked tirelessly and carried pretty well. If that performance wasn't good enough, I'm not sure what would be.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:11 pm
Rutlandtiger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm Just watched the interview from the Gloucester match. Tomas comes across as a "caballero de verdad". Great guy!!
Agreed Rutland Tiger! I can't understand the antipathy of some towards Tomas. His discipline is much improved from earlier in his career. I'm sure with the right support and encouragement from our new coaching team that he will be an important component in the Tigers scrum for several seasons if we can hang on to him.
Perhaps his increasing knowledge of English as shown in his interview means he can now understand better the Coaches requirements. He had a great game v Gloucester and good stats too.
I would like to know Olowofela's stats but do they decline when he runs backwards or directs other players to tackle where he left off?. It is a shame the Championship Clubs are not playing to recharge his skills and mental approach to the game. I think Hardwick was the wrong one to pull off the field.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm
Perhaps his increasing knowledge of English as shown in his interview means he can now understand better the Coaches requirements. He had a great game v Gloucester and good stats too.
I would like to know Olowofela's stats but do they decline when he runs backwards or directs other players to tackle where he left off?. It is a shame the Championship Clubs are not playing to recharge his skills and mental approach to the game. I think Hardwick was the wrong one to pull off the field.
As I stated on another topic, as far as Olowofela is concerned I think we kept the wrong twin
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think more or less the same would have happened if we had signed Ryan, they should have both have gone to the 7s in my opinion before coming back.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:44 pm

As I stated on another topic, as far as Olowofela is concerned I think we kept the wrong twin
I try not to be negative about young players making their way and Mr Olowofela is a case in point. I'm also aware that better more knowledgeable rugby brains than mine see something in him. However I thought he had a very poor game against Gloucester and I've not really seen even glimpses of what he might offer. However, changing tack slightly can anyone give any examples of young Tigers who got similar write ups at the same age, but did then go on to be class acts as internationals? Not meaning to be clever - just interested.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Traveller wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 pm
I try not to be negative about young players making their way and Mr Olowofela is a case in point. I'm also aware that better more knowledgeable rugby brains than mine see something in him. However I thought he had a very poor game against Gloucester and I've not really seen even glimpses of what he might offer. However, changing tack slightly can anyone give any examples of young Tigers who got similar write ups at the same age, but did then go on to be class acts as internationals? Not meaning to be clever - just interested.
I can't think of any. If you look at the best players who came through the Tigers academy in recent (ish) years, you almost always knew straight away that they were going to be outstanding. Ben Youngs, Manu, Cole, Ford - as soon as they appeared in the Premiership it was obvious that was where they belonged. You can say the same for most international players (although I'm sure there are some exceptions). It's incredibly unusual for players to struggle in the Premiership for a couple of years and go on to make it to the top.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 pm

I can't think of any. If you look at the best players who came through the Tigers academy in recent (ish) years, you almost always knew straight away that they were going to be outstanding. Ben Youngs, Manu, Cole, Ford - as soon as they appeared in the Premiership it was obvious that was where they belonged. You can say the same for most international players (although I'm sure there are some exceptions). It's incredibly unusual for players to struggle in the Premiership for a couple of years and go on to make it to the top.
Tom Youngs and Billy Twelvetrees both had spells at Championship clubs before returning to the club and making the first team.

Dan Cole didn't go from academy to first team either. He wasn't an instant hit, he learnt his trade in the Championship and playing back up to two very good tightheads over a period of time. Still young in prop terms though.

Some players take time to develop and some hit the ground running.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Holford, Cornwall
God created rugby so footballers have heros too