Where's Geordie?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Where's Geordie?

Post by G.K »

Point of order johnthegriff. Despite coming in half way through a world cup season Loffreda got Tigers to 2 finals that year. Yes we lost them both but I doubt many would swap that situation with the one last season.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Geordan Murphy P37 W9 L28 Win Percentage 24%
Matt O'Connor P39 W20 L19 WP 51%
Richard Cockerill last 39 games W21 L18 WP 54%

On top of this, there is little to no improvement in performances. Either something is done soon, or we are facing a relegation battle. And I'm not convinced theres a worse team in the league at the moment.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wasps.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:09 pmWasps.
Well they has a very poor season by their standards last year and they still finished above us!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 pm Geordan Murphy P37 W9 L28 Win Percentage 24%
Matt O'Connor P39 W20 L19 WP 51%
Richard Cockerill last 39 games W21 L18 WP 54%

On top of this, there is little to no improvement in performances. Either something is done soon, or we are facing a relegation battle. And I'm not convinced theres a worse team in the league at the moment.

Marcel Loffreda P27 W15 D0 L12 Win Perventage 55.55

Tigers BoD got rid of him at the end of half a season. Obviously didn't have the right hand shake.

Barbed Wire P70 W52 D1 L17 Pecntage 74.26

Tops the lot but again fell out with the BoD I believe.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

What are the Bookies odds for Murphy getting the chop before Xmas ?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If he gets moved to DoR with Borthwick as Head Coach then I expect he'll be out of the firing line.

I would be delighted with Borthwick as HC, as long as he is given the freedom to instil the right culture, systems and environment.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That would be another waste of a preseason though, I think he will be given free rein on coaching but environment will be left to Geordie surely as DOR.

Is he even coming though?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

fleabane wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:52 am I was one among many who thought that Georgian could make a good coach, but only after he had gone away to really learn the trade at another club, and get coaching and media training. (He tends to be unable to deal with questions).

I am afraid that now that option no longer exists. Who would take him? He will have so much baggage to unload, and so little confidence.

He really had no alternative but to take the job when offered, but the blame (not fault) lies with the club for offering him a job he was far from qualified for. In doing so, the guilty parties have blighted what might have been a really worthwhile career as a coach.

Shame on them.
...just listening to him he already sounds removed from the squad!!!
The position of DoR is the only avenue left for him and Borthwick becoming the Head Coach and for the club, a wise move. The fact you believed him to be a good coach with potential to lead this club is an idea held by many of our supporters and not so easy to dispel.
He has failed as a skills coach and should never have been placed in a role which he obviously was not qualified for.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm That would be another waste of a preseason though, I think he will be given free rein on coaching but environment will be left to Geordie surely as DOR.

Is he even coming though?
Argument on preseason front would be whether it was worth it to wait for Borthwick rather than employ a less talented coach who was available earlier. Only time will tell if Borthwick does join.

With the recent history of coaching turnover and Cohen trusted about as far as you can throw him the top job at Tigers must be becoming something of a poisoned chalice. Since Cockers left we haven't had a DOR and it's showed with the confusion of roles at the top.

Borthwick - Head coach
In charge of on field coaching, selection, building and integrating a clear game plan.

Geordie - DOR
Taking control of the pathway from academy, to development, into senior squad. Let him build a squad for the future and concentrate on mentoring individuals. Getting youngsters game time has been a rare bright spot in his tenure.

Jan McGinity - Head of recruitment
In charge of contract negotiations and recruitment. A job he has a fantastic reputation for at the SRU and Worcester.

At least there would be the opportunity for some clarity on roles.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:02 pm It was a total waste of time promoting Dean Richards to D.O. R!, similarly Pat Howard and Richard Cockerill, obviously we were much better with highly rated outsiders like Lofreda and Meyer, a look at out trophy cabinet and a check on the dates will prove the veracity of that statement.
It was a mistake sacking Cocker, a mistake hiring Matt O 'Connor, the Board have taken responsibility for those decisions. I have seen all our performances this season and they have been very mixed, some good some not so good. The forwards on the whole are doing ok although I think we miss Tom Youngs leadership when he is absent. The backs seem to have improved defence at the expense of attack, the kicks may be a bit long but we seem to concentrate more on maintaining the line than on just getting someone under the ball. I have seen us training nd for some reason we don't sem to play the way we train.
I was and still am in favour of Geordan Murphy as head coach but we have to produce results, and it has to start before the England boys return, whatever the problems are they have to be solved, we have more coaches than ever before, there is a saying abut too many cooks, it could be true!
John,
My friend ,you are viewing Geordan on how you want things to be not how they actually are.Sometimes a whitewash won't wash.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I had hoped Geordan would, in playing and being coached by Deano, Wells, Pat Howard And Cockerill, to have learnt to use the excellent things they all brought to the club.
All of the coaches mentioned managed to get huge reactions from the players after defeats: they did this not, as Geordan has done, by blaming individuals, but making it their responsibility to make sure things improved.
Cockerill’s main problem after Pat Howard left was taking too many jobs on. He did, however, have a great rapport with the press and in the end never had anything like a fully fit squad to operate with.
This Saturday will really show if Geordan has any chance of making it as Tigers coach: he needs to come up with a plan a and b to get close to Gloucester; can he also motivate the players to play with fire, speed, intensity and heads up rugby for 80 minutes. Apart from Cole and Genge this will be the pack that is first choice so they have to deliver!
I’m not sure I’m looking forward to the game at Welford Road but hope to see better signs of progress than I saw yesterday.
Good luck to Geordan and the team. You have nothing to lose v Gloucester as they will be red hot favourites to get a bonus point win.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

And there you have it. Tigers ambitions are new limited to getting close to Glos' at home. Oh how times have changed. :smt009
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

G.K wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm And there you have it. Tigers ambitions are new limited to getting close to Glos' at home. Oh how times have changed. :smt009
During the world cup. All players available, the expectation would be a win.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

+1
As last season the mindset is damage limitation - not winning :smt013 :smt013