Tigers vs Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by Chobbsy »

Bunchy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am what was really pleasing though was how well we did in that defensive set, under a lot of pressure. Remarkable step up from last season.
As for the comments on the ref - it was thanks to his incompetence that we got that final scrum - should have gone the other way to be fair - but we have been due a bit of luck !!
Hats off to the boys, but it really shouldn't have been as close as it was
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:25 am
Bunchy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am what was really pleasing though was how well we did in that defensive set, under a lot of pressure. Remarkable step up from last season.
As for the comments on the ref - it was thanks to his incompetence that we got that final scrum - should have gone the other way to be fair - but we have been due a bit of luck !!
I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain this one. :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Bar one lapse in concentration it wouldn't have been close.

Solid effort in defence which brought back memories of Tigers past. and the atmosphere of the crowd relishing the effort.

Lavanini looks a solid unit and adds beef to our second row.
Hayes looked like he is developing into a premiership level scrummager when he came on - just as well he did as our starting tight head Leatigaga started well but like a lot of big props ran out of gas. It does mean that we won't have to play Cole for 80 minutes every match.

Olowufela had his best game in a Tigers shirt. Serious gas in attack - having the confidence to make the breaks and surprisingly robust in his defensive effort.

Without the likes of Manu, Ford, May, Youngs & Eastmond we were never going to have the backs to scare the life out of the opposition but the return of Vianu and the pace of Olowufela did offer enough to keep their defence occupied whist the forwards did their stuff.

Overall we showed more of the structure that we saw in some of the pre-season & cup games that deserted us for the first 2 league matches. A well deserved win that I wasn't expecting.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:40 pm
We had one definite try disallowed in the 2nd half. Replay clearly showed the ball grounded on the line but the ref didn't even check it with the TMO. Veainu should have had a walk in try in the 1st half after the sublime break down the right by Olowofela and his pass inside to TV. If he had caught it which was not unreasonable to expect it was a stroll in. 30 -13 to Tigers would not have been an unreasonable result given that the only time Gloucester threatened our line was when they scored their try.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm We had one definite try disallowed in the 2nd half. Replay clearly showed the ball grounded on the line but the ref didn't even check it with the TMO.
It was checked. I was the BT Sport game coverage in it's entirety last night and the TMO confirmed 'in flight' that the on field decision was correct. Basically a Gloucester player got his arm under the ball as it was being grounded. Really tight and we should have executed better overall but the decision was correct.
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm Veainu should have had a walk in try in the 1st half after the sublime break down the right by Olowofela and his pass inside to TV. If he had caught it which was not unreasonable to expect it was a stroll in.
Yeah that was really unfortunate as it wasn't a bad pass in the circumstances and another day TV takes it and as you say strolls in. On the telly they debated whether Olowofela could have made it to the corner himself but I reckon he would have got taken into touch just short.
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm30 -13 to Tigers would not have been an unreasonable result given that the only time Gloucester threatened our line was when they scored their try.
Don't disagree with overall premise that Gloucester had the one break (which was excellent btw) and that we played well defensively and with a bit better execution in the red zone would have won comfortably.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Re Hardwick conversion anyone remember last year in the cup versus Sale when Hardwick missed a game-winning penalty, I believe that was going through his mind therefore was concentrating on kicking the points rather than winding the clock down.

As stated earlier, it was poor communication from the referee too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:40 pm
The way Tigers played and controlled the game, it shouldn't have been down to a last minute penalty to confirm the win....simples
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In different weather conditions Veainu would have caught that ball, I too thought Liebenberg had scored but at a distance from the big screen on the Crumbie I think I let my tinted spectacles get the better of me.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hardwick, Young’s and Kalamafoni named in Team of the week, deserved to be honest.