Tigers vs Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by voice of the crumbie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 am Was also interesting that Hardwick wasn't the one hooked but Reid. It turned out to be an excellent call.
Just to be clear on this. Geordan post match stated Reid was taken off because he had a calf injury.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

wellstiger wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 am Slater - stupid then injured.
Twelvetrees - Howler of a game.
Cipps - no effect on the game - substituted
Simpson - Poor game by his standards.
Bannerhan - quiet by his standards

Line outs not straight - missed
High tackles- Neck rolls unpunished.
Continual blocking - unpunished But we made Ackerman and Glouc look ordinary and we took the play out of them.
Credit where it is due - If this is the corner that needed to be turned then the futures looking better. :smt023 :smt030
Good analysis Wells Tiger.

I notice that Ackerman's number fan Scott1 has been conspicuous by his absence from this thread :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

I've just scrolled back through some of the posts regarding the timing of Hardwick's final penalty.

He was interviewed post match and he stated that the ref didn't tell him prior to the kick that there would be a restart. Secondly, and this was something I noticed too, when the respect for the kicker notice goes up on the big screen the time clock disappears. Hardwick said as a result he couldn't be sure how much time was left. Perhaps this is something the techies at the club can sort out?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Just seen the result. Brought a smile to my face so there’s light at the end of the tunnel!
Semper in excretia
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:20 am I've just scrolled back through some of the posts regarding the timing of Hardwick's final penalty.

He was interviewed post match and he stated that the ref didn't tell him prior to the kick that there would be a restart. Secondly, and this was something I noticed too, when the respect for the kicker notice goes up on the big screen the time clock disappears. Hardwick said as a result he couldn't be sure how much time was left. Perhaps this is something the techies at the club can sort out?
The time clock on the big screens do disappear but there are two other time clocks in corners which remain visible.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

For a young player in such a high pressure moment, on balance I'd probably rather he focused on making the kick than having half his concentration on the clock - especially when he would have only had a few seconds (as far as I recall?) after the buzzer went.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Tom Hardwick could not look at the other clock and concentrate on the kick.
I thought he did well to take as much time as he did as I sat there and saw the main screen go off which could easily have distracted him.
The way we defended at the end, I hope, has shown the whole squad how to defend: only one penalty given away having pushed Gloucester right back into their half.
As I said in an earlier post, next week is now a huge game because last season we never backed up a decent performance.
Hope Boladau keeps his place as I personally believe he has the skills we have needed coming off the bench: powerful, good offloads and great spirit.
Really proud of the team again. Last time I felt like this was at Newcastle with all the Newcastle fans at the end of last season. Let’s keep it going.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:20 am I've just scrolled back through some of the posts regarding the timing of Hardwick's final penalty.

I thought the ref told their captain that the restart would take place.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

It is a shame we were not afforded the same courtesy when Weir took almost two minutes to kick the penalty that won Worcester the game last season.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Another area we need consistency from the refs and this one is easy as it’s fairly black and white. There was an incidence in the World Cup - might have been Aus vs Wales but I forget - when despite the kick going over the posts after time was up the referee said there would be a restart. How can he do that? There is either 60 seconds to go when the penalty is pointed to the posts or there is not. As for yesterday - it was 58 seconds left when we pointed to the posts - the ref had no right saying there would be a restart and as the previous poster pointed out there was 90 seconds+ when Weir killed the game at WR last season.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:14 pm

I thought the ref told their captain that the restart would take place.
He may have told the opposition captain, I don't know. However Hardwick stated that he, the kicker, was not told. Probably another symptom of having an awful ref in charge.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The ref should have told Hardwick how long he had left.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am Another area we need consistency from the refs and this one is easy as it’s fairly black and white. There was an incidence in the World Cup - might have been Aus vs Wales but I forget - when despite the kick going over the posts after time was up the referee said there would be a restart. How can he do that? There is either 60 seconds to go when the penalty is pointed to the posts or there is not. As for yesterday - it was 58 seconds left when we pointed to the posts - the ref had no right saying there would be a restart and as the previous poster pointed out there was 90 seconds+ when Weir killed the game at WR last season.
I'm pretty sure there was just over a minute. I recall looking at the clock and thinking it's a shame we'll have to restart. Of course we could have wasted more time before pointing at the posts and being given the minute to take the kick.
JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 am The ref should have told Hardwick how long he had left.
That would have been nice wouldn't it.

Hardwick did the vital bit and slotted the kick in poor conditions he slotted everything which is all you can ask from him as a points kicker. His kicks too touch were a marked improvement from last weekend as well.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I too thought there was just over the minute; whatever it was, it was so close of the minute mark I am happy that Hardwick took the time to concentrate on making sure the kick went over rather than also juggle that with the time left factor, and in the context of what a win would mean he had to make sure. I may be wrong but I think it was so close to the minute mark that he would have to be very precise about when he struck the ball....if there was only 58 secs left he would have to wait until the clock went red and would then have 2 secs to strike the ball; timing all that would have taken alot of concentration from the actual kick, which was not a total gift.
As Good As It Gets
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

what was really pleasing though was how well we did in that defensive set, under a lot of pressure. Remarkable step up from last season.
As for the comments on the ref - it was thanks to his incompetence that we got that final scrum - should have gone the other way to be fair - but we have been due a bit of luck !!
Less is more....