Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Christophelp

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by Christophelp »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:24 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:21 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:08 pm

Does that say more about what's come before it or more about the side today? Our attitude was spot on and or defence was disciplined - especially in that Fergie time period.

Can someone please tell me why Hardwick didn't let the clock tick past 00:00 (like Weir did last year for Wuss) and putting us through the ringer, big time!
Penalty was given with more than a minute on the clock left. Sir said they'd be a restart. He ran it down quite a bit but there was always going to be a restart and to be fair to Glaws it was a good one.
Don't you have 90 seconds to take a kick?

EDIT - hands up, I thought it was 90 for conversions and penalties. It's only 60 for penalties
You have 60 seconds from when you indicate that you’re going to kick for goal.
The penalty was awarded at 78.51 but Sir said the following after Hardwick had kicked it, “We will restart, 3 seconds on the clock, he’s taken it early.”
That’s quite a big mistake - the game ended at 86.40 and whilst the defence in that extra 6.40 was fantastic, it was totally unnecessary.
Appreciate that Hardwick would have wanted to concentrate on the kick rather than the timing of it but that could have cost us 3 points.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

That’s correct - it should have been the last kick of the match as penalty was definitely awarded with less than 60 seconds left. Hopefully someone has a word with Hardwick as that could have spoilt what was an excellent performance by the lad.
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

I thought that the penalty was awarded with about 75 seconds to go and also thought that Hardwick had 90 seconds to take it, so I was gobsmacked when he took it with seconds left on the clock. I've learnt one thing on the time to take a kick tonight, so as for the rest , I'll reserve judgement until I've watched the match back.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

I too didn't understand why Hardwick didn't run the clock down. I wondered of the possibility of him thinking that, if he missed, it might still give us time to get back for another attack.

Granted, I haven't seen a recording, but I thought one of our players was blocked when he could have got to the Gloucester ball carrier in the build up to their try. Was surprised when it wasn't looked at. Mind you, I didn't hear any other complaints around me, so it must have been ok.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

We won and quite convincingly from all departments.
We bossed the game for long periods - all of which is better than we have seen from Tigers.
We are no longer the 12 position - Barff are .
The boys are back soon and If that performance is carried forward I am positive of progress.
Well done to all - the score flattered Glouc who were not at their best or made to look that the weren't. They did not deserve BP L :smt023 :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

parkerd1968 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 am Granted, I haven't seen a recording, but I thought one of our players was blocked when he could have got to the Gloucester ball carrier in the build up to their try. Was surprised when it wasn't looked at. Mind you, I didn't hear any other complaints around me, so it must have been ok.
I've just seen it back and there didn't seem to be any blocking but the lineout didn't seem straight at all
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Did the ref not say that there was time for a restart before the penalty kick was actually taken?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 am Did the ref not say that there was time for a restart before the penalty kick was actually taken?
I thought I heard him say that as well.
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

Well, we needed that - the first time in such a long time I can remember such a convincing performance from the Tigers, well done to everyone. We were impressive to watch. I can't wait to see how we are at full strength!

I do worry in the New Year when BY is (i assume) away with England - SH had a massive impact starting today, he injected some pace and fizz which we haven't had in the past two weeks.

If TV had caught the pass from JO, I think it could've already been a contender for Try of the Season.

Well done lads.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

An inspiring effort - well done everyone . Hope someone just has a quiet word with Tom to take the full minute and get the kicks nearer the middle !
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hopefully this level of performance continues, I thought we blew two chances: one which in the conditions TV can be forgiven for dropping it, although when Olowofela gave Liebenberg a superb out of the backdoor pass, he should never have chipped it, he’s a blummin’ Afrikaner back-rower! He should have given Marshall the shoulder and Tigers could have built pressure in the red zone instead of getting penalised at the next ruck.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:39 pm
Freebird wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:34 pm I think that Mark Bakewell deserves a bit of credit today as well. We won most of our lineouts and while I am only going on what I saw at the ground, every one of our mauls seemed to go forward and every one of Gloucester's was stopped dead. The polar opposite to the situation when he arrived and a reflection of the progressive improvement that we have seen in these departments for some time now.
The changed in personnel will also have made a difference I think. Three group of forwards last year, for whatever reason, didn't seem to buy in to what he was trying to get them to do.
There's also been a significant change in coaching style. We were passive in defence, obsessed with size and the tight exchange under MOC. As such he was never interested in pushing preseason fitness. Hence last season we got run round all season. This season there's been a definite move to mobile aggression and physicality.

I thought the combination of the Blake high intensity defence and the far more reliable forwards set piece and attacking phase play from Bakewell is the blue print for what we want to achieve this season. Just need to tighten up the backs attack now.

I thought that Murphy's decision to bring back some Tigers old boys bore fruit yesterday with Green and Youngs leading well up front and Forsyth doing a great job leading the backline defence (he closed off a lot of Cipriani's preferred passing moves to the outside). They seemed to set the tone for the rest to follow. I made it 7 of the starting 15 having come through the academy and a couple more off the bench.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

How nice to see so many people on here furiously agreeing with each ithere for a change :smt026 . We couldn't make the match due to a family party but managed to watch our empty seats on TV from a very wet Rugby League loving St Helens. I agree with what has benn said about defence, effort, spirit and the returnees adding something. Someone has said Olowefela needs a bit of bulk which I have tended to agree with but he again showed how he just seems awkward to catch and hold onto....some people are. On the TV the last kick did look as though it was going wide but huge relief in the end. Yesterday was a classic case to prove the saying that forwards win games and backs decide by how many.
As Good As It Gets
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Slater - stupid then injured.
Twelvetrees - Howler of a game.
Cipps - no effect on the game - substituted
Simpson - Poor game by his standards.
Bannerhan - quiet by his standards

Line outs not straight - missed
High tackles- Neck rolls unpunished.
Continual blocking - unpunished But we made Ackerman and Glouc look ordinary and we took the play out of them.
Credit where it is due - If this is the corner that needed to be turned then the futures looking better. :smt023 :smt030
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The try aside, Gloucester didn't make it into our 22 more than a couple of times and certainly didn't get within more than 10m of our try line (their try aside). Our line speed was good and as others have said, the passing lanes were, in the main, shut down well.

The selection of Forsyth was, by a few on here, ridiculed but I felt he was quietly effective and did his job very well.

Harry Wells led the line speed for me and put in some excellent first up tackles. Was also interesting that Hardwick wasn't the one hooked but Reid. It turned out to be an excellent call.

The replacement front row also proved their worth in the end and Hayes did an excellent job against a highly rated Rapava Ruskin.

Can we back this up on the road? Let's hope so!