Tigers vs Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by TTRITH »

You have to feel for Jake Kerr. Felt he played well, so to drop out of the 23 entirely is incredibly unfair. Do not understand why we are persisting with Reid at 10 who is showing he is not comfortable at 10, so play him at 12 and give Hardwick an actual chance. Also, I don't understand why Liebenberg, who played fantastically well for Bulls at 8 is being consistantly played at 6.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I still haven't summoned up the courage to watch the TV replay so, purely on the basis of what I saw from halfway in the Crumbie, I hope Reid's performance last week was a 'one-off'. He didn't get what he wanted from his 9; he didn't impose himself on his own back line (never mind theirs)'; and his reading of the game was way below the standard required.

Cips will exploit a repeat performance.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Odd selection for me. Why isn’t Hardwick playing 10 with Reid and Viljoen outside him. No idea why Viljoen has been dropped. No worse than anyone else.

Can’t see anything other than a Gloucester win. Then we’re in a bad spiral.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Looking at the team v Gloucester it has done what most fans wanted.
I will be cheering as loud as I can at Welford Road hoping this week the team really does turn up.
Gloucester are expected to get 5 points so come on Tigers get those claws out!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Early days yet but so far Viljoen hasn't impressed me, happy to see Fozzy back!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:12 pm You have to feel for Jake Kerr. Felt he played well, so to drop out of the 23 entirely is incredibly unfair. Do not understand why we are persisting with Reid at 10 who is showing he is not comfortable at 10, so play him at 12 and give Hardwick an actual chance. Also, I don't understand why Liebenberg, who played fantastically well for Bulls at 8 is being consistantly played at 6.
Hanro played most of his rugby this season for the Bulls at 7 (so Non SA and french 6) the only 2 times he didn't play flank was when he played lock.

Granted would be hard for anyone to oust vermeulen out of the 8 shirt.
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

When we're happy to have Forsyth in a Tigers starting lineup, we know we're at rock bottom. Not that it matters, him or Viljoen, should be a dominant win for Gloucester.

For me it would be better to have Kerr on the bench rather than TPN, he's one of the younger players who looks like he is ready for the Premiership.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Overall fairly pleased with the position changes.
Harrison starting also interested to see how Forsyth goes again, played well v Exeter in preseason at 13 with Reid at 10.

In fact that backlines mostly played in the exeter game at they looked good as unit.
9. Harrison
10. Reid
11. Olowofela
12. Eastmond (Hardwick)
13. Forsyth
14. Holmes
15. Worth (Veianu)

so hopefully a bit more continuity amongst them.

Reffell missing out is odd though for me, most tackles last week, and against this Gloucester back row a tackler like him should be playing, Thompson also didn't look as effective with Reffell going off. Although I understand why Boladau is preferred on the bench as he offers something different I would just have Thompson at 8 and Reffell at 7 again.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Reffell injured. Would have liked to see Hardwick at 10 and J Viljoen in the centres with Forsyth.

We need to come out the blocks hard in this game and start as we mean to continue. :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Barring Holmes and Veaninu, and Harrison, thats the worst backline in the Premiership by a country mile. Heaven help us.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm Overall fairly pleased with the position changes.
Harrison starting also interested to see how Forsyth goes again, played well v Exeter in preseason at 13 with Reid at 10.

In fact that backlines mostly played in the exeter game at they looked good as unit.
9. Harrison
10. Reid
11. Olowofela
12. Eastmond (Hardwick)
13. Forsyth
14. Holmes
15. Worth (Veianu)

so hopefully a bit more continuity amongst them.

Reffell missing out is odd though for me, most tackles last week, and against this Gloucester back row a tackler like him should be playing, Thompson also didn't look as effective with Reffell going off. Although I understand why Boladau is preferred on the bench as he offers something different I would just have Thompson at 8 and Reffell at 7 again.
Reffell has a chest injury. I suspect he and Spencer would be included if not injured. Geordie said there were a few with knocks so that might explain Kerr and Viljeon's absences. Give them a week off rather than risk exacerbating it to something worse.

Only change I'd like to see is Hardwick at 10 and Reid at 12. Seems logical to play them in their preferred positions. Plus getting Reid settled at 12 makes sense with Ford back in a couple of weeks.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Doomed, doooomed I tell you! It'll be alright I reckon, what were we really supposed to do against a strong settled team who kept most of their star performers. Fingers crossed for some sign that we're learning at least.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

The lack of quality in our team is frightening. I know we have players away at the World Cup, but it’s still difficult to fathom when you have Slater, Thacker and Evans starting in other packs this weekend.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Very disappointed that Thomas Lavinnini not starting - it was important to make a mark at the outset .
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thacker is on the bench isn't he and Evans isn't playing this weekend.

But yes our depth really needs work on.
Granted teams like Gloucester, Bristol and Quins are not really affected but the likes of Sarries and Saints are both missing a lot of players yet looking so much better.