ITV coverage of WC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

ITV coverage of WC

Post by northerntiger »

Bit surprised by the lack of highlights. On ITV4 at 7, ITV at way past midnight. No preview shows at all. This was a World Cup semi final! Presume they've paid a fair bit for the coverage, surprised they're not making more of it. I know it's live at a difficult time, but they havn't really made much of it at all.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ITV coverage of WC

Post by wormus »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 pm Bit surprised by the lack of highlights. On ITV4 at 7, ITV at way past midnight. No preview shows at all. This was a World Cup semi final! Presume they've paid a fair bit for the coverage, surprised they're not making more of it. I know it's live at a difficult time, but they havn't really made much of it at all.
Itv certainly have been better than the BBC and Sky. But you can watch any of the 47 matches on the ITV hub.
see this link and register / log in and view when you want. https://www.itv.com/hub/rugby-world-cup/1a9562a0145
:smt023
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 pm Bit surprised by the lack of highlights. On ITV4 at 7, ITV at way past midnight. No preview shows at all. This was a World Cup semi final! Presume they've paid a fair bit for the coverage, surprised they're not making more of it. I know it's live at a difficult time, but they havn't really made much of it at all.
Why would they show highlights when there was a show before the game and then the full game that are available through their catch up services?

Highlights are usually reserved for when you don't have rights to show the full game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think their coverage has been very good on the whole. Commentators Mullins is always excellent and Harrison is much better without Barnes chirping next to him, good selection of summarisers too though personally could do without Maggie Alphonsi.

Slightly annoying thing for me, and I appreciate that itv will have no control over this is the use of spider cam during live play it just looks wrong
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have to disagree Mark, although using Alphonsi suspiciously looks like ITV are trying to emulate Alex Scott on the BBC I appreciate and share her insights.

I also despise Mullins and Eykyn as commentators, always preferred Harrison and Butler.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:38 am I have to disagree Mark, although using Alphonsi suspiciously looks like ITV are trying to emulate Alex Scott on the BBC I appreciate and share her insights.

I also despise Mullins and Eykyn as commentators, always preferred Harrison and Butler.
Butler is the worst commentator out there, imo, his attempted pronunciation of french names in particular is laughable and he is wrong more often than he is right.
I admit he has excellent comedic value
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Eddie Butler is horrendous, in my view. Harrison I don't mind (without Barnes).

I think they've done a decent job tbh. As maligned as he is as a board member of Tigers, I think Kay is excellent as a summariser and also like Flatman in that role too along with Monye. Not so keen on Dayglo though.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 am Eddie Butler is horrendous, in my view. Harrison I don't mind (without Barnes).

I think they've done a decent job tbh. As maligned as he is as a board member of Tigers, I think Kay is excellent as a summariser and also like Flatman in that role too along with Monye. Not so keen on Dayglo though.
Shane Williams, Sam Warburton and Alan Quinlan also been very good, though personally not keen on Gareth Thomas, and Scott Hastings is a disaster.
SCW can have his moments too, though his achievements mean he’ll always be around come RWC time
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I'm fine with the live coverage, it's very good. Just a bit surprised there's no prime time coverage or previews to get more interest from non rugby people. I'm sure there was a bit more hype in 2003. We're in the final, for heavens sake, and loads of people arn't aware of it.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

i think it good also - makes a nice change from the usual stuff .
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Why has Miles Harrison, indeed all of the NH commentators at the RWC got so much verbal diarrhea which has nothing to do the game being played, why can't they take a leaf out the SH commentators who only speak about the action taking place without the background script the NH commentators seem to think the public watching want or need to know.

Please just comment on the action only overwise shut up.

Rant Over
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:27 am I think their coverage has been very good on the whole. Commentators Mullins is always excellent and Harrison is much better without Barnes chirping next to him, good selection of summarisers too though personally could do without Maggie Alphonsi.

Slightly annoying thing for me, and I appreciate that itv will have no control over this is the use of spider cam during live play it just looks wrong
Everybody I know finds Mullins incredibly irritating. He always seems to insist on telling us what a player's mother-in-law had for breakfast the week before last, frequently during an exciting piece of play when anybody competent would be commentating on the on field activities.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 am Eddie Butler is horrendous, in my view. Harrison I don't mind (without Barnes).

Shane Williams, Sam Warburton and Alan Quinlan also been very good, though personally not keen on Gareth Thomas, and Scott Hastings is a disaster.
SCW can have his moments too, though his achievements mean he’ll always be around come RWC time
Warburton, Quinlan good, SCW broken record for me, Hastings poor, Flatman the best combining excellent insight of not just forward but back play with humorous banter. Ben Kay ok, Healy very mixed sometimes very smart sometimes just plain and obviously wrong !!