ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Post by BFG »

I thought the entire England team played well and made New Zealand look poor.
Watson was superb for me, almost Robinson like in releasing pressure.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 pm I'm definitely supporting SA tomorrow. One,I've never been one of those guys who feels he has to support other home nations and two,if we ever lost a final to Wales I'd never get over it!
Absolutely!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Down at the "One Eyed Turk" the feeling is Wales will walk all over SA and Eng-ger-land have peaked at the wrong time.

Some of the less optimistic believe if SA can keep 15 men on the pitch all game they will win.

Tough one to call.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:48 am I know he is a bit of an anti christ on here but a shout out for Farrell’s captaincy which has been spot on, backed up brilliantly by George and Lenny
Is he Englands best 10, probably not. Is he Englands best 12, possibly not. Is he a leader and a fighter, he most certainly is. A real leaders performance.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wales havnt got enough attacking threat,although losing Howley has helped them greatly,for me and can't see them defending their way to a win against the Boks. SA by 7-10
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who's a better 12 than OF? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Have to give Eddie Jones a lot of credit for getting England this far. Picking Tom Curry out when he was just a teenager, leaving out Cipriani when everyone was clamouring for him not to, and also think cutting the mercenaries in Teo, Hughes, & Shields was big. This team just seems to have much more of a spirit and togetherness than previous teams.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Agree with this. Compare the mosh mash of a team last World Cup, with players shoe horned into positions, this is light years ahead.
Would love to see an England Wales final, but the possibility of losing it is horrific to behold.
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

A big shout out for Dan Cole who didn't put a foot wrong when he came on today or any other match he's played in - to think that loads on here said his England career was over when EJ left him out earlier this year!!
CW
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There's been a lot of talk about Daly being a poor fullback, which he probably is, but NZ didn't get a chance to expose that weakness as England were all over them in defence.

Youngs had his best game for a while and showed how good he is when playing at pace and with quick ball. Ford didn't take a backward step - his tackle count must have been near, if not exactly, 100% and he controlled the game perfectly.

And Manu looks reborn. He was excellent in both attack and defence and Coley did what Dan does - the.simple things really well. You don't get 94 caps by being a **** player.

We do have some real gems in our squad - we just need to play to their strengths once they return.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I always dreamt Cole would make the telling contribution to winning against the All Blacks in the World Cup, and whilst it wasn’t a try like I hoped securing the ball at the death is still just as good.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Credit to Jones and the coaching team. That was the best ENG performance for a very very long time. Perfectly timed. The team followed the script with skill and a no fear attitude. NZ at times really didn't know quite what to do. ENG won the front foot collisions / momentum and the breakdown. Lineout battle (other than the gifted try) backfired on NZ / S Barrett. The NZ wide wide plan was cut off (often by Manu) leaving them flat footed and then smashed back by Underhill, Itoje, Curry et al. We were all waiting for them to shift gears around 65mins and score two quick tries (like they always do) but they didn't and ENG kept pushing them back. YBY try looked good to me ... therefore could have been as much as 26-0 without the lineout gift.

As an ENG fan I prefer to play RSA than WAL but ENG vs WAL 2019 RWC Final would be quite an event !! I still think RSA by 7 to 10.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well there's a turn up for the books. I expected England to rattle the ABs but not to be able to sustain it for 20 minutes and when I saw the prima donna Owens was ref I felt all was lost.

All credit to England though, defence was superb, Itoje deservedly MOTM and Curry and Underhill very good disruptors, they didn't allow the ABs much time or space at all but the whole pack played their part.

Ford and Youngs controlled things well, although a few pointless kicks started to come in towards the end, it wasn't until about 79 minutes that I thought they could actually win it!

And this was with two disallowed tries, the first fair, the second not, and several visits to their 22 where they coughed up the ball and came away with no points.

Hopefully May and Farrell are ok for next week and Sinckler looked to be limping a bit when he went off. I agree with the comment earlier - get a sub scrum half out there now, never understood why they took an ageing kiwi journeyman anyway.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:31 pm Down at the "One Eyed Turk" the feeling is Wales will walk all over SA and Eng-ger-land have peaked at the wrong time.

Some of the less optimistic believe if SA can keep 15 men on the pitch all game they will win.

Tough one to call.
Given the first comment Dai, are you sure it's the One-Eyed Turk you're drinking in and not the one-eyed Welshman? :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Interesting to see Manu getting many plaudits for his defence preventing NZ getting the ball wide. The difference when playing for Tigers is that forcing the opposition inside does not put them into the meat grinder of a back-row.