ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: ENG vs NZ - RWC Semi

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am Barnes being saved for la finale?
Guess Barnes will be involved in the other Semi as an assistant? If he was the Ref for Wales v South Africa he is open to criticism for impartiality and may affect the result to potentially give England the favoured finalists.
If England fail to get to the Final, I would expect Barnes to be Ref and if Wales bow out, Owens to be one of the Assistant Refs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:01 pm
Guess Barnes will be involved in the other Semi as an assistant? If he was the Ref for Wales v South Africa he is open to criticism for impartiality and may affect the result to potentially give England the favoured finalists.
If England fail to get to the Final, I would expect Barnes to be Ref and if Wales bow out, Owens to be one of the Assistant Refs.
Dont understand this, couldn't the same be said about Owens?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Yes its exactly the same situation but world rugby have clearly dismissed it in the case of Owens.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Yes its exactly the same situation but world rugby have clearly dismissed it in the case of Owens.
Or there is a different reason for barnes not reffing Wales v South Africa...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am Disappointed to have Owens as ref, he peaked a few years ago and has been in decline since then. Too many odd decisions these days.

England will need to be more accurate than they have been and keep up the physical intensity for the full 80. Daly is a bit of a worry defensively but if the all blacks get through to your full back it's usually try time regardless. Nowell energy off the bench much more tempting for me in this match than Colanasiga. I suspect Slade will start again, he didn't do much wrong against Aus.

I do see the NZ midfield as a weakness, Lienert Brown was a bit erratic against Ireland and could be a point to target in both defence and attack.

An almost flawless performance from England will be required, NZ most likely to win but England have a shot. Huge game, can't wait to see it.
This should be the final really sad that one of us won't make it
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Or there is a different reason for barnes not reffing Wales v South Africa...

Apart from him reffing the final as his swansong do you mean............
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am Disappointed to have Owens as ref, he peaked a few years ago and has been in decline since then. Too many odd decisions these days.
I felt that way too about a year ago but he's since been in the up again IMO.

Still think Barnes is the best around at the moment.

What happened to Glen Jackson? He was the bee's knees 2 years ago but has virtually disappeared from internationals
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Barnes can still be involved just not the ref if the English make the final?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It would be strange to have any of the officials from the sides playing the final. If they can't find enough qualified refs from all of the other countries it would be strange.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Some players are better at starting and others better at making an impact. For me start with Cole as he is better in the scrum and Sinkler will make a better impact. Definitely Nowell on wing and Watson to full back. I have mixed views on 10 as Ford could make a huge difference on 60. Oh and O'Keefe to ref the final :smt048
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Same team as last week I think it worked well. Don’t believe the tosh about Daly, he’s been very good at 15 and his boot is a good weapon. I’d be worried if I were NZ, we’ve got threats all over the pitch.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rumour are Ford for Slade,Kruis for Lawes.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

New Zealand: Beauden Barrett; Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Bridge; Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith; Joe Moody, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (capt).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Angus Ta'avao, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Sonny Bill Williams, Jordie Barrett.

Their strongest 15 in my opinion with Barrett at 6. Pity Laumape was never picked in the WC squad to cause havoc off the bench :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

S.Barrett from my memory has never started at 6 for the All Blacks, with the threat of the Kamikase Kids I’m really surprised he has left Cane on the bench.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Theory seems to be S Barrett will boost their lineout impact where NZ troubled ENG last game. But I agree losing Cane from the breakdown is quite a trade off. Looking like Ford, Faz, Manu and hoping May shakes off slight injury.