Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Forward passes

Post by Scott1 »

How many did they get away with,jeez!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I counted 11 forward passes by the Zealanders, at least 6 right in front of the touch judges. Unbelievable.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Certainly a lot missed or ignored these days. Can almost hear the ref saying "Well yes but it was only a little bit forward so play on"
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The benefit of the doubt has definitely swung towards the attacking team on this one.

There's also a suspicion that when referees aren't 100% sure it's forward they will think "if the team scores, we can check it, if they don't it doesn't matter anyway".

Perhaps there's been an instruction from above to allow the more marginal forward passes to create a more fluid game and be more appealing to potential new fans...
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I think you're second point is probably the most correct. Problem with that approach is that a pass can set up a field position which leads to a try a good few phases later, too late to be checked. I can live with marginal calls, benefit of doubt, but some of these are clear.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

One today was bang in front of the TJ and was significantly forwards and he signalled, by what appeared to be by rubbing his belly, that it was flat...
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 pm One today was bang in front of the TJ and was significantly forwards and he signalled, by what appeared to be by rubbing his belly, that it was flat...
Well the Frenc pot bellies of Poite and Gauzere are certainly not flat!
However the TMO Marius Joker SA was the best New Zealand player! :smt018
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:46 pm Perhaps there's been an instruction from above to allow the more marginal forward passes to create a more fluid game and be more appealing to potential new fans...
You could well be right, it’s long been an excuse for law changes. But I don’t give a toss about potential new fans, it’s our game and I want to see it refereed properly.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

wormus wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:29 am However the TMO Marius Joker SA was the best New Zealand player! :smt018
Agreed.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

+1 :smt019 :smt019

Lets get back to a bit of common. Lets remove debate about hands, where the flight of ball takes it and make it simples.
BACK can never be FORWARDS - by definition and visa versa.What next Which way does his eyes look as he passes?
:smt018 :smt018
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Garces seems to be able to spot them...but it was against the Welsh!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am Garces seems to be able to spot them...but it was against the Welsh!
And then misses 2 Saffa forward passes.