LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1237
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by CitizenSmiff » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm

OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 am
Reinach, De Klerk, Hougaard, Heinz, Nic White, Takulua.. seems we have fallen behind in the 9 shirt department over the last few seasons. Such an important position and one that needs strengthening for sure. Easy to point the finger at one individual and that's not what I'm doing but there are some world class names on that list and sadly we are somewhat lacking in consistent quality options here imho
Joe Simpson felt like a massive missed trick, he's excellent yet not likely to get his international call-up at this point. I know folk will defend our promising roster of 9s but none of them have really stepped up.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Mark62 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 pm

CitizenSmiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 am
Reinach, De Klerk, Hougaard, Heinz, Nic White, Takulua.. seems we have fallen behind in the 9 shirt department over the last few seasons. Such an important position and one that needs strengthening for sure. Easy to point the finger at one individual and that's not what I'm doing but there are some world class names on that list and sadly we are somewhat lacking in consistent quality options here imho
Joe Simpson felt like a massive missed trick, he's excellent yet not likely to get his international call-up at this point. I know folk will defend our promising roster of 9s but none of them have really stepped up.
Simpson was part of a swop deal though wasn’t he, so it is possible we didn’t have a player prepared to go in the other direction

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5599
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by JP14 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Brits is/was a better player than Thacker in my view.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Mark62 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm

JP14 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm
Brits is/was a better player than Thacker in my view.
I’m not comparing quality I’m comparing style.
Neither of them is particularly orthodox in the way they play

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ABClub » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Thacker signed a 3-year extension with Bristol at the end of last season.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2987
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by BFG » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm
JP14 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm
Brits is/was a better player than Thacker in my view.
I’m not comparing quality I’m comparing style.
Neither of them is particularly orthodox in the way they play
I've said it before but Leicester should go after Bristol's Will Capon.
He is quick and talented but much more solid than Thacker in my opinion.
Leicester are missing a trick in recent years in not identifying and chasing other clubs up and coming players and pushing up their value to squeeze others salary cap.
Others are doing it to Leicester but Leicester aren't doing it enough to other Southern clubs.
Sarries have a bucket load to target, Kpoku, Isiekwe, Lozowski, Malins, Gallagher etc.
Should've targeted Tompkins a year or two ago, you could see that all he needed were the opportunities, and some good coaching.

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Cagey Tiger » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:12 pm

BFG wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Should've targeted Tompkins a year or two ago, you could see that all he needed were the opportunities, and some good coaching.
Haven't you been reading the other posts on here about the standard of our current coaches? :smt002

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ABClub » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:12 pm
BFG wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Should've targeted Tompkins a year or two ago, you could see that all he needed were the opportunities, and some good coaching.
Haven't you been reading the other posts on here about the standard of our current coaches? :smt002
Lozowski is coming out of contract and arguably an even better target. He covers most the back line, is an excellent defender and significantly quicker than Tompkins. For me Tompkins is the better 12 but Lozowski better at 13.

If May is moving on then Lozowski should be the target with his cap.

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:53 pm

ABClub wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:44 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:12 pm
BFG wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Should've targeted Tompkins a year or two ago, you could see that all he needed were the opportunities, and some good coaching.
Haven't you been reading the other posts on here about the standard of our current coaches? :smt002
Lozowski is coming out of contract and arguably an even better target. He covers most the back line, is an excellent defender and significantly quicker than Tompkins. For me Tompkins is the better 12 but Lozowski better at 13.

If May is moving on then Lozowski should be the target with his cap.
probably better cover at 10 than we currently have too

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5599
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by JP14 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Lozowski is a good player who has lost his place recently, if we can go for him we should.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by ABClub » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 pm

JP14 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:10 pm
Lozowski is a good player who has lost his place recently, if we can go for him we should.
I've said it several times but Lozowski and Isiekwe are ideal targets for us given where we need to improve, plus Sarries needing to make savings.

If Polota-Nau moves on then Tom Woolstencroft would be another good signing from Sarries. He's come on really well under Sanderson and Peel's coaching but wouldn't cost a lot in terms of cap.

If Youngs and Polota-Nau both move on then a more established signing at hooker might be required. Tolu Latu is at the struggling Stade Francais and Kyle Cooper (just loaned out to Exeter) is a good player at Falcons.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by kk20gb30 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm
JP14 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm
Brits is/was a better player than Thacker in my view.
I’m not comparing quality I’m comparing style.
Neither of them is particularly orthodox in the way they play
Personally though would still take Brits over Harry T in a heartbeat.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Mark62 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

kk20gb30 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm
JP14 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm
Brits is/was a better player than Thacker in my view.
I’m not comparing quality I’m comparing style.
Neither of them is particularly orthodox in the way they play
Personally though would still take Brits over Harry T in a heartbeat.
WASN’T COMPARING QUALITY MORE THE TYPE OF PLAYER.

sorry for shouting but people are ignoring me

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by kk20gb30 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm
kk20gb30 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm


I’m not comparing quality I’m comparing style.
Neither of them is particularly orthodox in the way they play
Personally though would still take Brits over Harry T in a heartbeat.


WASN’T COMPARING QUALITY MORE THE TYPE OF PLAYER.

sorry for shouting but people are ignoring me
was not ignoring you , merely stating an opinion.Something wrong in that ?

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by Mark62 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:37 pm

kk20gb30 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm
kk20gb30 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm


Personally though would still take Brits over Harry T in a heartbeat.


WASN’T COMPARING QUALITY MORE THE TYPE OF PLAYER.

sorry for shouting but people are ignoring me
was not ignoring you , merely stating an opinion.Something wrong in that ?
You are free to post whatever you want, was just pointing out I wasn’t comparing 2 players just using them to make a point.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ads, Ashurstwoodtiger, cheltexile, LE18, Leicestertinytiger, owenfs7, SthrnTiger and 2 guests