LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by JP14 »

Harrison is already leaving, TPN is a difficult one but might be ready to take a paycut or might even retire, Youngs will re-sign unless he retires. Eastmond has the rest of the season to prove his worth, but might be axed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’d imagine we shall retain all 3 looseheads, Hills will probably go (I heard the Bears were interested) the bloke has hardly played at all.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:11 pm Agree re Ford and May, would add Genge to that list. Thompson is getting on a bit, possibly worth another year.
In order to build a squad as well you need to bring through your own talent, but also look to pick up some, for want of a better term nearly internationals.
For me both Isekwie and Ben Earls fall in that category, both of test match class but because of the quality of depth in their position are unlikely to get more than a handful of caps each.
Also wonder how happy Polledri and Ludlam are at Gloucester with the arrival of Bok international back rowers
From what I understand Genge is close to re-signing. He is vital as well though no question.

Thompson is an ideal player to bring Reffell through alongside. I can see Tommy overtaking him as starter this season but Guy covers the whole back row, is a leader and won't cost a fortune.

Earl could well be an international soon I think. Underhill has had injury issues and it seems that Jones has Curry earmarked as his long term blindside.

Ludlow is at Gloucester and Ludlam at Saints. I wouldn't take Ludlow over Reffell or Thompson personally. He's a solid player, similar to Luke Wallace in his Quins days, but not a player I'd go out the way to sign when we have talent coming through at 7.

Polledri is an excellent player but re-signed last season with Gloucester at the same time as Ackermann extended.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If TPN goes I expect a replacement.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:54 pm If TPN goes I expect a replacement.
If Polota-Nau leaves and Youngs re-signs I'd hope for a dynamic hooker to be signed to challenge for the starting spot.

Polota-Nau is on big money and Youngs last signed whilst still an international. Both will realistically be signing smaller contracts this time around. Hopefully some of that cap can be redistributed throughout the forwards.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ABClub wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:12 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:54 pm If TPN goes I expect a replacement.
If Polota-Nau leaves and Youngs re-signs I'd hope for a dynamic hooker to be signed to challenge for the starting spot.

Polota-Nau is on big money and Youngs last signed whilst still an international. Both will realistically be signing smaller contracts this time around. Hopefully some of that cap can be redistributed throughout the forwards.
But surely Kerr would be able to provide that challenge?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fainga’a from the Brumbies would be an ideal replacement for TPN, not currently favoured too highly by the international set-up but that might change under Rennie.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

With Sam Harrison soon departing we could do a lot worse than offer Alby Mathewson a short term deal now his Munster contract has run its course. Would provide cover for BY and help the youth along...
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Even if it’s a long shot or not,

Is Huw Jones really worth picking up as we have so much depth in the centres, maybe as a replacement for Eastmond but he’d be a lot more money
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

England trio Ben Youngs, George Ford and Jonny May are all out of contract this summer and Murphy said: “The nature of sport is that we are always going to lose big players - and sign big players.

“We would love to keep everyone and pay everyone everything they deserve and want but the nature of sport is that sometimes you will lose players.”

Even with all their stars Tigers came mighty close to being relegated last season and Murphy hopes those lessons have been learned.

In the mirror.

Sounds ominous.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 am England trio Ben Youngs, George Ford and Jonny May are all out of contract this summer and Murphy said: “The nature of sport is that we are always going to lose big players - and sign big players.

“We would love to keep everyone and pay everyone everything they deserve and want but the nature of sport is that sometimes you will lose players.”

Even with all their stars Tigers came mighty close to being relegated last season and Murphy hopes those lessons have been learned.

In the mirror.

Sounds ominous.
Reckon Ford will stay. YBY will depend on what Tom does IMO. If he retires I can see him going to France for a pay day.

I don't expect Johnny May to stay. He's 30 and with a lot of young English wingers coming through I fully expect him to go to France for one last big contract.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 am England trio Ben Youngs, George Ford and Jonny May are all out of contract this summer and Murphy said: “The nature of sport is that we are always going to lose big players - and sign big players.

In the mirror.

Sounds ominous.
Murphys comments need to be taken in context as it was related to Saracens investigation and their ability to keep hold of their best players
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

True.
Although I do see us losing someone.

Ford would be hardest to replace of those names though
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

And it's negotiation time, you have to play a game of chicken even if you risk losing the deal - see Salvi.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Keep Ford and May, Young’s is not a priority in my view and should be replaced with someone like Papier or Jantijies.