LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by CitizenSmiff »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:55 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... igers.html

A lot of £.
Same as Bigger.

"As Sportsmail reported last week, Bristol were interested if Ford left the Tigers but sources have indicated that he loves Leicester and is desperate to drag them up from 11th in the table."
Something to be cheerful about at least, he's pretty essential and we probably can't attract anybody better value in our current state.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 pm Fissler front page of the rugby paper, saying Saints are lining up Youngs if talks fail between him and us.

Sounds like agent :censored:, but at the same time so obscure it could well be true.
I kind of hope it's true.
It will be interesting to see some people’s views on this. A “not very good scrum half” having interest shown by “one of the best coaches around” from a team who are currently top of the league.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Lenny is an excellent scrum-half. He is also one that for seasons now only shows his best form with England. He is also on a significant salary for a scrum-half. As far as I'm aware the only 9s in the league earning more that Youngs are Francois Hougaard and Faf de Klerk. Both of whom are much more consistent performers who their clubs have built teams around.

Genge, Youngs, Ford and May are all out of contract. Re-signing Genge and Ford in particular will require wage increases.

Finding replacements who offer the same as Genge and Youngs do to Tigers will likely cost as much caps as it will to re-sign them. The salaries of props and fly-halves has sky rocketed.

Scrum-halves generally demand lower salaries hence a replacement for Youngs could be easier to find if push comes to shove. If we want a dependable 9 to feed Ford good ball then the likes of Brad Weber or Tomas Cubelli won't demand nearly the salary that Youngs does.

If we want a 9 who offers a threat himself then someone such as Sonatane Takulua could add to the side. He's an excellent 9 who again would save significant space in the cap.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Great news that Ford is close to signing, although the cynic in me says it could just be his agent trying to get a higher salary elsewhere.

Re Youngs, it would be a real shame if he went, from a sentimental point of view, but he does look like he maybe needs a fresh start somewhere new to reinvigorate himself. If the club could indeed get Weber at a lower salary that would be a good move and perhaps the type of pragmatic decision that they need to start making.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps an Aussie scrumhalf, I heard Powell is a good player not highly rated by the national set-up?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Daily Mail is usually spot-on with its rugby stuff, let’s hope they are again.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ABClub wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 am Lenny is an excellent scrum-half. He is also one that for seasons now only shows his best form with England. He is also on a significant salary for a scrum-half. As far as I'm aware the only 9s in the league earning more that Youngs are Francois Hougaard and Faf de Klerk. Both of whom are much more consistent performers who their clubs have built teams around.

Genge, Youngs, Ford and May are all out of contract. Re-signing Genge and Ford in particular will require wage increases.

Finding replacements who offer the same as Genge and Youngs do to Tigers will likely cost as much caps as it will to re-sign them. The salaries of props and fly-halves has sky rocketed.

Scrum-halves generally demand lower salaries hence a replacement for Youngs could be easier to find if push comes to shove. If we want a dependable 9 to feed Ford good ball then the likes of Brad Weber or Tomas Cubelli won't demand nearly the salary that Youngs does.

If we want a 9 who offers a threat himself then someone such as Sonatane Takulua could add to the side. He's an excellent 9 who again would save significant space in the cap.
It's down to playing style. Faf de Klerk in any team and he'll look good because of the way he plays. Youngs' threat hinges on him putting big runners through holes or going through holes himself that are a result of the big runners causing indecision in the defence.

I agree 100% that we haven't seen the best of Youngs in a Tigers shirt recently. But it seems backwards to get rid of one of our star players because the rest of the team is so awful.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I disagree, Youngs is part of the problem and needs booting asap.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am I disagree, Youngs is part of the problem and needs booting asap.
+1, such a shame Sam is off, proper Tiger!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Shame we didn’t go for Simpson as he would have been a great signing :smt003
A2O
Louis

Post by Louis »

If I could wave my magic wand I'd have Faf de Klerk any day of the week. Quite the Tigerish player in my view.

But then I do like Lendrid. Great player, but I can always tell when he is going to have a shocker, he gets this slightly downtrodden look in his eyes. If I spot it (99% of the time from a TV close up) I know he's going to have a shocker.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Poor old Lendrid, always getting the blame. I don't think any of the other scrum halves would improve anything until the coaching improves. That should be the sole focus and where money should be directed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am I disagree, Youngs is part of the problem and needs booting asap.
+1, such a shame Sam is off, proper Tiger!
Also 30 years of age and often has fluctuations during a game which seem to get over looked as he’s a proper Tiger
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

And now they’re in negotiations to re-sign him, get rid of him now! The sooner, the better.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm And now they’re in negotiations to re-sign him, get rid of him now! The sooner, the better.
Amazing how this style of post never actually manages to answer why he's part of the problem - or at least not address the counter argument that our playing style up front/potentially quality of players in the pack hasn't allowed him to flourish.

If only he played for another team as well as Tigers - a team with dynamic forwards who allowed him to dictate play with his kicking and running game - he'd probably get selected for them all the time and they'd probably be pretty good. Might even make an RWC final.