LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am Lam or Nadalo, that would be great. In my view probably Lam as he is younger and fresher, Ellis a good player as he is I’m not sure he would be worth the expenditure in our backrow which I believe is more or less sorted now.
Agreed. Big powerful and pacey winger would be ideal, especially if we are to lose May.

Lam/Nadalo would be a great combination with Veianu and Holmes. :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am Lam or Nadalo, that would be great. In my view probably Lam as he is younger and fresher, Ellis a good player as he is I’m not sure he would be worth the expenditure in our backrow which I believe is more or less sorted now.
Agreed. Big powerful and pacey winger would be ideal, especially if we are to lose May.

Lam/Nadalo would be a great combination with Veianu and Holmes. :smt023
A bit more power in the back three would be good. Holmes, May and Owolfela are all very quick and intelligent players but we are missing someone to add power to the carrying game. Thompstone used to be very good at this but it looks increasingly like injuries have taken their toll, he is still great defensively.

We've got Steward coming through nicely but he is not long turned 19 so might need a bit refinement before readily stepping in plus it's always tough for players who have tended to be physically dominant at age grade to come into senior rugby where they don't automatically win the collision.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Lam would certainly be my choice from the 2
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I do like Spencer, but he’s very rarely fit and it must be difficult trying to find some good form when you can never string more than a few games together. Given also that Alemanno would be an upgrade, not surprised to see him leave at the end of the season.

Wouldn’t want Nadalo, doesn’t fit the right age profile and would probably want massive money. Lam would be a really good signing and would give us a different dimension in the back 3. Imagine Thompstone retiring and Eastmond leaving so should have some spare cap.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There’s Harrison’s cap too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

His cap will not be much at all.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Lam was very average at Super Rugby level & didn't exactly tear trees up in the NPC, think we can do better.
Bringing Lewington back would make sense, he really should never of been let go, much like Callum Green, both rather proof of some of the choices in the recent past which are part of today's problems.
What's the situation with Steff Evans at the Scarlets?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On Ellis
There will be a question mark on Thompson with age and fitness.
Kalamafoni may also be getting offered a lower deal and as with all lower deals there is always a chance that someone will offer them more.
Lavin, Gough and Smith technically are not in their final year senior academy, they tend to be till 24 or to 30,000 depending what comes first.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Isn't Lam on 20 tries in 30 games for Hurricanes?
and 12 tries in 20 games for wellington

and was top try scorer in the 2018 season? beating Naiyaravoro.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 pm Lam was very average at Super Rugby level & didn't exactly tear trees up in the NPC, think we can do better.
Bringing Lewington back would make sense, he really should never of been let go, much like Callum Green, both rather proof of some of the choices in the recent past which are part of today's problems.
Think you need to check your stats there.
Green has hardly been pulling up trees since his return and lewington is 4th choice winger at Saracens at best
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Lewington is 4th choice behind Williams, Maitland and Daly though so hardly makes him a bad player. Arguably 3rd choice as Daly might have been playing centre with Goode fit. As Williams and Goode are both crocked we won't know what the plan was there.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm Lewington is 4th choice behind Williams, Maitland and Daly though so hardly makes him a bad player. Arguably 3rd choice as Daly might have been playing centre with Goode fit. As Williams and Goode are both crocked we won't know what the plan was there.
I would also say he is behind the young lad Sega ??

As you say we’ll never know but personally I would rather promote from within or find a project in the championship than sign a journeyman
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ben Lam:

-Has recorded a sub-11 second 100m.
-Holds the record for most tries in a Super Rugby season.
-6ft 4
-16.5 stone
-No international commitments

Hard to understand how that could be described as "average" :smt017

Would be a brilliant signing. I'd take him over Nadolo.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:50 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 pm Lam was very average at Super Rugby level & didn't exactly tear trees up in the NPC, think we can do better.
Think you need to check your stats there.
Green has hardly been pulling up trees since his return and lewington is 4th choice winger at Saracens at best
They are not stats its an opinion...which I am allowed to have & you can disagree with.
Doesn't change the fact that Green & Lewington were let go in preference to some poor imports, Green is not a flair player he does the nuts & bolts stuff, he is like Louis Deacon in that fact.
Lewington scores trys, perhaps if he was at a club that didn't cheat he would be first choice, he never got a chance with us.
Over recent years we have made some very odd recruitment decisions whilst not trying out our home grown players, hopefully that is now changing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Of course you’re right. In my opinion Green has not been great since he returned, I take your point about nuts and bolts but imo he shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as Deacon.

Lewington again imo is the definition of a journeyman player, wasn’t good enough for Tigers or Irish and hasn’t been good enough to cement a place at Saracens